Great first for Brighton. Clean drug user rooms.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I am not sure about this, drug use and addictions are very complex issues.

Would I want this at the end of my road, probably not.

There are many questions.

I suspect it will help the minority of the hapless heroin addicts, but it might have greater consequences that are less attractive.

Does it encourage addicts from throughout the UK to see Brighton as a haven for drug use, a more comfortable place to be an addict maybe a kind of addict migration.

Having seen 4 school friends die as a direct result of heroin abuse, I cannot agree with the 'vulnerable person syndrome' as told by the post above, you shouldn't lend such an obvious excuse to a terrible life choice.

I saw opportunity, accessibility and an easy acceptance within their chosen punk lifestyle, it was ok to take smack so they continued and they died.

There is an undoubted progression through the drug spectrum too, something why I am opposed to legalisation and always suspicious when there is an easing of any drug enforcement.

Any initiatives that when examined might actually increase drug use, even if more safely is a great risk.

Sensible post alert.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I am not sure about this, drug use and addictions are very complex issues.

Would I want this at the end of my road, probably not.

There are many questions.

I suspect it will help the minority of the hapless heroin addicts, but it might have greater consequences that are less attractive.

Does it encourage addicts from throughout the UK to see Brighton as a haven for drug use, a more comfortable place to be an addict maybe a kind of addict migration.

Having seen 4 school friends die as a direct result of heroin abuse, I cannot agree with the 'vulnerable person syndrome' as told by the post above, you shouldn't lend such an obvious excuse to a terrible life choice.

I saw opportunity, accessibility and an easy acceptance within their chosen punk lifestyle, it was ok to take smack so they continued and they died.

There is an undoubted progression through the drug spectrum too, something why I am opposed to legalisation and always suspicious when there is an easing of any drug enforcement.

Any initiatives that when examined might actually increase drug use, even if more safely is a great risk.

There are many reasons that people take drugs and yet a good friend of mine in my social group started by 'skinning up' in the toilets at clubs in the early 80s, of a group of 15 he was the only one serious on this. Next he was smoking more serious stuff and then after giving his mother hell for a decade and having a child along the way he shot up some stuff in the bath and died there and then. His circumstances were no different to the others in the group, granted we don't know what goes on in the minds of others, but it was not in any way a hard luck, bad upbringing situation. My point is, that he started on recreational and it led to his eventual death, saw it first hand and worse still missed his funeral because I was serving overseas. DRugs misuse affects many more peolple than those taking tem!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I would rather have seen this pilot happen in more than one location i.e. one in Brighton, one in Bristol and one in Newcastle and for the advantages to be assessed accordingly. I think selecting one town doesn't mean that it will work nationally. I also wouldn't want Brighton to be seen as the 'go to' place for safe drug taking. That puts undue pressure on the town.

My immediate thoughts are that this is a good idea. I think we need to look at how we help people manage themselves off drugs and how towns can deal with the problem of drug taking and the knock on effects this has.

Fair point about the multi-city approach, but it has to be seen to work first. I don't agree it will necessarily make Brighton a magnet for users.

There won't be a policy of just anyone bowling along - these would have to be properly supervised people already on programmes.

Dan Gleeballs

Nov 24, 2011
I think it's positive that a new approach is being considered to help tackle this huge problem. Expecting a different result by just doing the same thing is idiocy.

I used to think that everyone has a choice and they just need more self discipline but after a few years of working with vulnerable young people I realised how naive my thinking was. You realise that many choices are already made for these young people when they are born or where they grow up, the mental health effects of neglect, of poverty, of lack of aspiration around them. Our resilience is created as we go through life, we're not born with it. Most drug issues are not just drug issues in isolation. They are a small part of a load of other problems. Drug use may simply be their coping startegy for dealing with a pain that won't go away.

Couldn't agree more.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
People make bad choices in life for many different reasons. The question is do we want to help people back to becoming reasonable members of the community or do we leave them on their path of destruction to rob and steal their way to an early grave?

Seems a bit of a no brainer to me.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
There are many reasons that people take drugs and yet a good friend of mine in my social group started by 'skinning up' in the toilets at clubs in the early 80s, of a group of 15 he was the only one serious on this. Next he was smoking more serious stuff and then after giving his mother hell for a decade and having a child along the way he shot up some stuff in the bath and died there and then. His circumstances were no different to the others in the group, granted we don't know what goes on in the minds of others, but it was not in any way a hard luck, bad upbringing situation. My point is, that he started on recreational and it led to his eventual death, saw it first hand and worse still missed his funeral because I was serving overseas. DRugs misuse affects many more peolple than those taking tem!!

But it seems that your mate, as mine were never really challenged or sanctioned as he progressed through that spectrum of drugs use and these initiatives always accommodate rather than challenge.

My mates and I can see them now all skinning up in our school toilets, I walked in and they asked if I fancied to join them, we were all 14/15 year olds.

I lost no kudos for saying no, I was confident and played a lot of sport so it was readily accepted when I said no thanks.

Each died a pitiful death, but I recall that each were the first to try smoking, then booze then spliffs and onwards they go, so I am not a fan of a softening approach, it facilitates greater use and therefore more victims.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Its called education. You seemed to be lacking it.

Haha, I bet you believe that as well you complete fool.

I pondered something based on my own experience i.e of the people (2) that I've personally known to become addicted to heroin and have it take over every facet of their lives, should they be lumped into the same debate as those who take a few substances at the weekend but hold down jobs and unassuming lives for the rest of the time.

I know what the answer is, I'm trying to make ignorant people like you think a bit more about a complex issue rather than just quote the first page you found on Google.

What's your education Uncle C? And why do you only use your highly educated mind to be the message board bore?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I pondered something based on my own experience i.e of the people (2) that I've personally known to become addicted to heroin and have it take over every facet of their lives, should they be lumped into the same debate as those who take a few substances at the weekend but hold down jobs and unassuming lives for the rest of the time.

Of course nobody holding down a job and leading an unassuming life has ever progressed to dependancy. Everyone believes they are the exception and can stop whenever they like - there are plenty of those on here.

BTW the insults go over my head so dont waste your time posting them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not a fan of a softening approach, it facilitates greater use and therefore more victims.

What approach do you think will work then? Something needs to change.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it's positive that a new approach is being considered to help tackle this huge problem. Expecting a different result by just doing the same thing is idiocy.

I used to think that everyone has a choice and they just need more self discipline but after a few years of working with vulnerable young people I realised how naive my thinking was. You realise that many choices are already made for these young people when they are born or where they grow up, the mental health effects of neglect, of poverty, of lack of aspiration around them. Our resilience is created as we go through life, we're not born with it. Most drug issues are not just drug issues in isolation. They are a small part of a load of other problems. Drug use may simply be their coping startegy for dealing with a pain that won't go away.

I agree totally.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair point about the multi-city approach, but it has to be seen to work first. I don't agree it will necessarily make Brighton a magnet for users.

There won't be a policy of just anyone bowling along - these would have to be properly supervised people already on programmes.

I agree. Brighton is a magnet for users anyway. There are various reasons for this but I really do not think this new approach will alter the numbers coming to Brighton.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Right-wing Free Market Economy (under Licence)

Could use one of the pubs that have closed down: Snow and Horses. Then there would be a campaign to bring back traditional Opium Dens.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I agree. Brighton is a magnet for users anyway. There are various reasons for this but I really do not think this new approach will alter the numbers coming to Brighton.

I think its true that during the mods and rockers era the police used to round up trouble makers and drive them out of Brighton to remote parts of the countryside where they left them to their own devices. Perhaps something like this could help?

If people need to see the effect of centering drug users/abusers in one place then have a look at the London Road area.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Of course nobody holding down a job and leading an unassuming life has ever progressed to dependancy. Everyone believes they are the exception and can stop whenever they like - there are plenty of those on here.

BTW the insults go over my head so dont waste your time posting them.

And you again misunderstand. You can't contribute anything to this debate other than stereotypes and little nuggets of info you found on the internet, good for you and well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports