Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Grealish to City 100m

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Brighton fans saying Kane isn’t world class (which he is) with shite upfront we have to endure week after week :lolol: sorry I just find that amusing

AlbionInUs

Oct 11, 2019
US
These transfer fees are insane, yes he is good, but he is hardly one of the greats. Sure he is great at being awarded free kicks and penalties, even better when there is no contact, but 100 million pounds ffs this is getting ridiculous. I remember when Trevor Francis went for 1 million and we thought that was nuts. I looked up a couple of inflation calculators which puts TF fee at about 4.7m/5.4m in today's money.

I agree with you… to some extent. Football today is completely different from football in the late 70s, as the global appeal is much larger. Back in the late 70s, a clubs income was made up of almost entirely match day revenue. Today, not only is that revenue much greater, but there are plenty of other revenue sources as well. In fact, only 13% of Brighton’s revenue was from match day income; 79% was from broadcasting.

That being said, is Grealish really worth £100m? Is Ben White really worth £50m? Only time will tell I guess. I feel as though your point it more valid concerning transfers inside of the Premier League. Players from abroad often provided more value, especially since other leagues don’t have crazy TV deals like the Premier League.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
These transfer fees are insane, yes he is good, but he is hardly one of the greats. Sure he is great at being awarded free kicks and penalties, even better when there is no contact, but 100 million pounds ffs this is getting ridiculous. I remember when Trevor Francis went for 1 million and we thought that was nuts. I looked up a couple of inflation calculators which puts TF fee at about 4.7m/5.4m in today's money.

People were staying exactly the same thing when Shearer went to Newcastle for £15m.

Inflation and simple supply and demand, buying and selling. A player is worth whatever a club is willing to pay and a club is willing to sell at.

Granted it’s a different world to you and I, but football is a billion dollar business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here