Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grant Hall

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well a few people seem to have short memories.

Grant Hall was released by the Albion, before he went on to impress at Lewes and Whitehawk and then the Albion offered him a contract in the DS Squad.

When he did leave Brighton, he was quite a way behind in the pecking order and had seen other players pushed out the door, Spurs came in for him and he took the chance, who doesnt want to try and play at the highest level possible? Its not like he owed anny loyalty to the Albion who pretty much discarded him. Looks like it hasnt worked out for him at spurs, but as it states in the interview above, Spurs have great facilities and He has obviously benefitted from these while we were still at the Uni.

He seems pretty keen to get out there and play first team football and not just waste away in the Spurs DS squad. So I am not quite sure why so many negative comments or is it just bitterness that he decided to try and progress his career away from the Albion.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
We like players who have only 1 year on their contract.
I have not seen him play but I remember people were disappointed when he left.
We have no cover at CB ....and one of them (Greer) has a dodgy knee.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Grant Hall was released by the Albion, before he went on to impress at Lewes and Whitehawk and then the Albion offered him a contract in the DS Squad.

When he did leave Brighton, he was quite a way behind in the pecking order and had seen other players pushed out the door, Spurs came in for him and he took the chance, who doesnt want to try and play at the highest level possible? Its not like he owed anny loyalty to the Albion who pretty much discarded him. Looks like it hasnt worked out for him at spurs, but as it states in the interview above, Spurs have great facilities and He has obviously benefitted from these while we were still at the Uni.

He seems pretty keen to get out there and play first team football and not just waste away in the Spurs DS squad. So I am not quite sure why so many negative comments or is it just bitterness that he decided to try and progress his career away from the Albion.

He was offered a contract and chose not to sign it, preferring Spurs. Not surprising, but he wasn't discarded a second time, which is what your post seems to be saying.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Yeah yeah but more to the point, how good did he look in a shit Blackpool team? I have to confess to knowing he was there but haven't seen any comments about how he performed. Do we really want someone who couldn't shine in a team that was hammered most weeks? ( except when they played the Albion of course). Don't defenders and keepers show just how much potential they have when they are when playing in a crap team?

Maybe he looked blinding in that Blackpool team?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Yeah yeah but more to the point, how good did he look in a shit Blackpool team? I have to confess to knowing he was there but haven't seen any comments about how he performed. Do we really want someone who couldn't shine in a team that was hammered most weeks? ( except when they played the Albion of course). Don't defenders and keepers show just how much potential they have when they are when playing in a crap team?

Maybe he looked blinding in that Blackpool team?

Too be honest I dont get why we would want him back?

It would give out a bad message to the youth, Might as well take the gamble at a bigger club as Brighton will always take me back when it doesnt work out. I would say he hasnt progressed enough for us to even consider taking him back.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He was offered a contract and chose not to sign it, preferring Spurs. Not surprising, but he wasn't discarded a second time, which is what your post seems to be saying.

I cant see where I am saying that at all.

All I am saying is, why should he have loyalty to a club who released him previously when it comes to signing a new contract?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

It would give out a bad message to the youth, Might as well take the gamble at a bigger club as Brighton will always take me back when it doesnt work out. I would say he hasnt progressed enough for us to even consider taking him back.

There is that - but he was a product of the 'old' system, without the training ground etc. But you are correct, IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I cant see where I am saying that at all.

All I am saying is, why should he have loyalty to a club who released him previously when it comes to signing a new contract?

I don't know of any player who has loyalty to any club. Only fans are loyal.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

This is why I asked how he did at Blackpool. I would have no problem taking him back if he has progressed and is ready to challenge for a first team spot at this level. Unless he is very good though I wouldn't want us to even consider bringing him back. I know this is probably very different but Martin Keown left Arsenal because he couldn't break into the first team. I think we vene had the possibility of buying him but he ended up at Everton (?) and the Arsenal bought him back. I can't blame Hall for leaving but he should have gone to a club where he would get first team football, which would have meant dropping a division. He made a bad but no doubt very lucrative choice. He is reaping the consequences now.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This is why I asked how he did at Blackpool. I would have no problem taking him back if he has progressed and is ready to challenge for a first team spot at this level. Unless he is very good though I wouldn't want us to even consider bringing him back. I know this is probably very different but Martin Keown left Arsenal because he couldn't break into the first team. I think we vene had the possibility of buying him but he ended up at Everton (?) and the Arsenal bought him back. I can't blame Hall for leaving but he should have gone to a club where he would get first team football, which would have meant dropping a division. He made a bad but no doubt very lucrative choice. He is reaping the consequences now.

I disagree, if he had gone to a league 1 club, he wouldnt have been able to grow in the enviroment with great facilities coaches etc, learn to grow as a player and possibley train with the spurs first team, even being around them would be a learning experiance he would not have gained by dropping to league 1. Even looking back and it not working out, he could potentially end up in league 1 if not higher, with the added bonus of the learning and coaching provided at Spurs and what I would imagine a little more money.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I disagree, if he had gone to a league 1 club, he wouldnt have been able to grow in the enviroment with great facilities coaches etc, learn to grow as a player and possibley train with the spurs first team, even being around them would be a learning experiance he would not have gained by dropping to league 1. Even looking back and it not working out, he could potentially end up in league 1 if not higher, with the added bonus of the learning and coaching provided at Spurs and what I would imagine a little more money.

Elphick and Cook are in a much better place than Hall now aren't they? Experienced way beyond anything Hall and his big bank account have. Doesn't matter how good the facilities or your squad mates are if you aren't playing competitive football.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Elphick and Cook are in a much better place than Hall now aren't they? Experienced way beyond anything Hall and his big bank account have. Doesn't matter how good the facilities or your squad mates are if you aren't playing competitive football.

To be fair they got lucky, Bournemouth in the premier league... Nobody saw that one!!
at the time Halls move to spurs looked a better option. They all chose better than El-Abd who was deemed the better option than all three of them

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

I think they are more of an exception to the rule.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be fair they got lucky, at the time Halls move to spurs looked a better option. They all chose better than El-Abd who was deemed the better option than all three of them

Have to confess I did wonder at the time how going to a top 6 club when he couldn't get close to breaking into a Championship side was a good move, apart from the money of course. This is assuming that he wanted first team football at the time

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Not sure you can actually compare the three of them unless both Cook and Elphick opted for Bournemouth instead of a premier league club, which I don't think they did because they didn't have the choice.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Have to confess I did wonder at the time how going to a top 6 club when he couldn't get close to breaking into a Championship side was a good move, apart from the money of course. This is assuming that he wanted first team football at the time

Gus hits out at Hall

Saturday 25 August 2012
Albion boss Gus Poyet has accused departed defender Grant Hall of misleading the club about his reason for not signing a new contract.

The Argus revealed on Wednesday that Hall has completed a move to Spurs.

The Seagulls are now waiting for the North London giants to settle a suitable compensation fee.

Hall, 20, turned down a new three-year deal offered by Albion before his contract expired at the end of June.

The centre half prospect feared a lack of first team opportunities which has left Poyet puzzled by his decision to join Spurs, where competition for places will be tougher.

Poyet told The Argus: “The only disappointing side with Grant Hall is that what he told us was the reason for not signing a contract was not true. He didn’t accept our contract for a reason but that reason is not happening.

“There was a clear reason he gave us as to why he did not want to stay here. I know what he said and it’s not happening, so it’s disappointing, no doubt.”

Hall broke into the first team at the turn of the year. Albion had him earmarked for a bright long-term future, with captain Gordon Greer the wrong side of 30 and Tommy Elphick still recovering from a serious Achilles injury when the contract offer was on the table.

Elphick was subsequently sold to Bournemouth, while Poyet dropped Lewis Dunk after Albion’s opening defeat at Swindon in the Capital One Cup and recalled Adam El-Abd alongside Greer at the heart of the defence.

The change back to seven substitutes would have increased the chances of Hall being involved in the first team squad and there was also the possibility of him being loaned out to gain more experience, a route already taken by the Seagulls with their highly-rated young midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey.

Poyet added: “Sometimes we try to advise players knowing the game but my point of view is probably not the same as the player’s point of view. I just wish him well. I hope he can make it and can be playing at the highest level.

“I am not against him. He made a decision, nothing else, but I think it’s important to know the reason.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/9893765.Gus_hits_out_at_Hall/

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
There were times when I saw Hall playing for us that his composure and skill on the ball both in defence and bringing the ball out into midfield reminded me of a young Mark Lawrenson. The lad obviously had talent and potential. Whether he's gone forwards, sideways or backwards since then I've no idea. I certainly don't hold any grudge for his move to Spurs, he was young with pushy parents it seems, so if he is still any good I'd have him back, he's obviously still got the hunger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here