Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Graham Potter - ruthless

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
People should lay off Swanny. He knows his stuff and for whatever reason has clearly invested a lot of time and energy into our club. We are all hurting, taking it out on a stranger on the internet is crass and unfair.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
You really don't get it do you.

Tony treated Bruno as well as any owner could. He brought him into the club as a player and when he finished playing he treated him like Brighton family. He immediately set about making sure he was kept at the club and made to feel part of the thing he'd been part of building because Bloom rated him so highly as a person.

Then for Bruno to show no loyalty to Bloom at a time when he would need him the most is what is pissing off life long Albion fans.

Tony deserved better than this from Bruno and Roberts and they shit on him because Potter got in their ear and didn't give a shit about how it might impact the club.
Agree

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
****ing Bruno!? Brunooo!?? [emoji3064]

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Part of the leaving deal that Potter has ‘negotiated’ includes Chelsea use of the Elite Performance Centre for two days each week to save him having to drive to Cobham. Albion will use the gym at Sussex Uni on those days.

I'm assuming this is a wind-up. However anything is possible the way things have panned out.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I can’t help feeling some are over reacting, Dyche has had a higher finish in the PL than Potter. A handful of home wins yes gives it a go against the big boys has struggled with bottom half teams. Long periods of winless runs, kept picking the same team hoping for different results. Covid probably saves us from relegation, lots of possession with very little goal action. They are welcome to him.

Hurrah! Beginning to think I was the only one not at the wake.

Up to game 30 of last season, we were on 34 points. Out of GP's 106 games in charge up to and including Norwich (H) we had taken 116 points, an average of 1.09 PPG. Under CH, we averaged 1.00 PPG. Has everyone forgotten a record 11 games without a win in Autumn, or a record 6 defeats (and one goal scored in by a defender) on the spin before the alchemy changed? Think if the 6 defeats had been at start of season; knives would really have been out.

The change that has had the world admiring and flattering the Head Coach has not been GP per se but playing Moises Caicedo. He has been the gear change. His inclusion and Mwepu returning from injury (and, I have to add, the exclusion of Maupay) galvanized Gross and Trossard in particular. New player = new formation = nirvana. Before that, we were the pretty team that couldn't score and would float around bottom 6.

OK, so GP takes credit for seeing this and playing MC, you might say. Yes, but GP admitted near end of last season that he made a mistake not playing MC earlier, so he knew that he had a gem but played cautious. Had he not done so, I think we probably would have qualified for Europe and perhaps we would have a different script now. Remember 0-0 v Norwich, anyone?

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
Because I've invested maybe on average 3 or 4 hours a day for more than three years reading about Brighton, watching the games, discussing everything around it, and then the main (or initial) reason for me doing this ****s off to a club that someone would have to pay me to even spend a half hour thinking about?

It hurts.

Blimey, a whole THREE years?

I've done 45 years and there are many on here that have done way more than that.

My grandad supported Brighton, so my Dad supports Brighton, so I support Brighton, and now my kids support Brighton.

My dad (now 80), my son, and I have STs together.

THAT'S what you're missing in all this...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hurrah! Beginning to think I was the only one not at the wake.

Up to game 30 of last season, we were on 34 points. Out of GP's 106 games in charge up to and including Norwich (H) we had taken 116 points, an average of 1.09 PPG. Under CH, we averaged 1.00 PPG. Has everyone forgotten a record 11 games without a win in Autumn, or a record 6 defeats (and one goal scored in by a defender) on the spin before the alchemy changed? Think if the 6 defeats had been at start of season; knives would really have been out.

The change that has had the world admiring and flattering the Head Coach has not been GP per se but playing Moises Caicedo. He has been the gear change. His inclusion and Mwepu returning from injury (and, I have to add, the exclusion of Maupay) galvanized Gross and Trossard in particular. New player = new formation = nirvana. Before that, we were the pretty team that couldn't score and would float around bottom 6.

OK, so GP takes credit for seeing this and playing MC, you might say. Yes, but GP admitted near end of last season that he made a mistake not playing MC earlier, so he knew that he had a gem but played cautious. Had he not done so, I think we probably would have qualified for Europe and perhaps we would have a different script now. Remember 0-0 v Norwich, anyone?

Is there a course or something to get a world view as simplistic as this?

I'd like to take it in that case. Seems comfy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Blimey, a whole THREE years?

I've done 45 years and there are many on here that have done way more than that.

My grandad supported Brighton, so my Dad supports Brighton, so I support Brighton, and now my kids support Brighton.

My dad (now 80), my son, and I have STs together.

THAT'S what you're missing in all this...

Three years is not a long time. 3-4 hours per day for 3 years is a lot of time.

But ok, if three years is not enough to start caring for Brighton, how long does it take? How many years did you spend reading every article you could find, watching all the games and discussing all the Albion related subjects until you cared about the club? Eight years? Ten years? Fourteen?

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
You really don't get it do you.

Tony treated Bruno as well as any owner could. He brought him into the club as a player and when he finished playing he treated him like Brighton family. He immediately set about making sure he was kept at the club and made to feel part of the thing he'd been part of building because Bloom rated him so highly as a person.

Then for Bruno to show no loyalty to Bloom at a time when he would need him the most is what is pissing off life long Albion fans.

Tony deserved better than this from Bruno and Roberts and they shit on him because Potter got in their ear and didn't give a shit about how it might impact the club.

I was going to reply but could not put it better than that

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Three years is not a long time. 3-4 hours per day for 3 years is a lot of time.

But ok, if three years is not enough to start caring for Brighton, how long does it take? How many years did you spend reading every article you could find, watching all the games and discussing all the Albion related subjects until you cared about the club? Eight years? Ten years? Fourteen?

Swanny, I get you 'care' - I do - and that's because of Potter, but you can't speed-read/learn decades of involvement and emotion, no matter how much you try. Maybe step back for a little while, and let those of us that have experienced that, vent a little?
Is that too much to ask?

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
This is one of the more pathetic, knee jerk threads I've seen on here, and I'm a long time lurker. Get a grip, all of you.

Anyone in a management position moving from one company to the next will take their best team with them. It being football means nothing as he's not from Brighton and wasn't a Brighton fan. We used him as much as he used us, and we gained a lot from that relationship. Personally I'm more gutted/concerned about Bruno and Roberts leaving than Potter, Reid and Bjorn, but they have a right to further their careers at a bigger club for more money as well.

I'm sure all of them leave with a heavy heart and will hold Brighton dear to their hearts, maybe even hoping to return one day, but you're embarrassingly blinkered if you think someone taking over the top job at a new gig wouldn't want their most trusted staff with them. He will be under great pressure from day 1 to make things work and needs his best crew with him.

We are all Brighton fans, but you all need to get a grip on reality and stop showing yourselves up.

Absolutely spot on

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swanny, I get you 'care' - I do - and that's because of Potter, but you can't speed-read/learn decades of involvement and emotion, no matter how much you try. Maybe step back for a little while, and let those of us that have experienced that, vent a little?
Is that too much to ask?

Question: in your first decade of getting involved with Brighton, did you care less than you did two decades later?

I do understand a) your emotions are generally stronger because you're locals and b) it is annoying that I feel something about this, but does longevity really play that much of a role how much you feel about something?

It all turns a bit Four Yorkshiremen when I say I give a shit, and all the pensioners come in one after another to tell me how you need to be 200 years old and been through four World Wars to give a shit about anything.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
This is one of the more pathetic, knee jerk threads I've seen on here, and I'm a long time lurker. Get a grip, all of you.

Anyone in a management position moving from one company to the next will take their best team with them. It being football means nothing as he's not from Brighton and wasn't a Brighton fan. We used him as much as he used us, and we gained a lot from that relationship. Personally I'm more gutted/concerned about Bruno and Roberts leaving than Potter, Reid and Bjorn, but they have a right to further their careers at a bigger club for more money as well.

I'm sure all of them leave with a heavy heart and will hold Brighton dear to their hearts, maybe even hoping to return one day, but you're embarrassingly blinkered if you think someone taking over the top job at a new gig wouldn't want their most trusted staff with them. He will be under great pressure from day 1 to make things work and needs his best crew with him.

We are all Brighton fans, but you all need to get a grip on reality and stop showing yourselves up.

Couldn’t agree more.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Question: in your first decade of getting involved with Brighton, did you care less than you did two decades later?

I do understand a) your emotions are generally stronger because you're locals and b) it is annoying that I feel something about this, but does longevity really play that much of a role how much you feel about something?

It all turns a bit Four Yorkshiremen when I say I give a shit, and all the pensioners come in one after another to tell me how you need to be 200 years old and been through four World Wars to give a shit about anything.

*sigh* Carry on, then.

I think the demolition of our club management/coaching team shows the reason why he has been so successful at Brighton. He's ruthless. Not a shred of gratitude or acknowledgement of any relationship with Bloom for employing him and Barber for supporting him. He's not only taken all his own toys (Billy, Bjorn, Kyle), but ours too (fan favourites Bruno and Roberts). I presume Crofts, Greer and Weir weren't worth bothering about.

Quite clearly he won't hesitate to come back in January for some our stars too. Of course, I may be wrong, but I doubt it. Like a spurned lover taking everything he can from the end of a relationship. At least now, I can hope they all fail and we march on in to Europe.

I think that's over-dramatic. Coaching assistants nearly always go with their boss. Potter doesn't deserve pelters here, and while he will undoubtedly come for players in January, he knows full well it will be Ben White/Cucu sums he's going to have to pay for them. Let's slap a 60 mill tag on Webster now :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here