Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nah, WAY WAY too early in his career, he is going to want far more involvement in his next job than this part time job would give him

I know Boris might treat it as a part time job but I think GP would be more dedicated than that if he got the England job.

Oh well, 2024 is still long away so plenty of time to enjoy GP.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Nah, WAY WAY too early in his career, he is going to want far more involvement in his next job than this part time job would give him

Yes, I think England job is currently a demotion pay-wise and yes, he'll reason there will be time in the future when this night come up, so no need to take it now. The FA are in no position to be poaching a manager on a contract from a PL club

Personally I think it ticks all the boxes. For him it will be higher pay, more prestige, he's said he wants to manage at the highest level, and he could do all of that without moving his family or taking his kids out of school. For the FA he is the best English manager around and given the links with Ashworth I think he fits the profile of what they'll be looking for.

Also it’s not like the job is coming up immediately. He's got another year with the Albion before this becomes a realistic possibility, by which time I think his stock will have risen even higher.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We’ve had a good start and that’s great, we are an injury away touch wood from a striker dilemma. It’s football and I can’t help thinking some are getting carried away nice to bank a few early points though.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We’ve had a good start and that’s great, we are an injury away touch wood from a striker dilemma. It’s football and I can’t help thinking some are getting carried away nice to bank a few early points though.

Since you speak about getting relegated each year when there is a poor game or poor spell, you should know a thing or two about getting carried away.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So he did.

I recalled it as 'mutual agreement', which is a diplomatic nicety for 'sacked'.

Could be but I have a vague recollection that Bloom backed him when virtually every fan wanted him sacked.

That doesn’t mean you’re not right but I do remember being more than a little surprised when TB didn’t actually sack him. I think he left very soon after the vote of confidence though

Quick Google suggests my memory is better than usual

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11595001.tony-bloom-sami-hyypia-is-here-to-stay/

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Potter is likely to stay for a few more years yet because he will want to repay the loyalty that Bloom showed him when he gave both him and his coaching team the added security of a six year deal. [MENTION=42592]Here'sWally[/MENTION] has very eloquently laid out plenty more reasons a few posts above.

However.......
During the next 12 months Manchester United will very likely sack Ole Gunnar Solskjær.
When that happens there will be a very good chance that they may come in for Potter. (yes, crazy as that sounds)
If that happens, it will be a massive call by Potter to decline the job.

Interesting times ahead.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Potter is likely to stay for a few more years yet because he will want to repay the loyalty that Bloom showed him when he gave both him and his coaching team the added security of a six year deal. [MENTION=42592]Here'sWally[/MENTION] has very eloquently laid out plenty more reasons a few posts above.

However.......
During the next 12 months Manchester United will very likely sack Ole Gunnar Solskjær.
When that happens there will be a very good chance that they may come in for Potter. (yes, crazy as that sounds)

Interesting times ahead.

The cynic in me suggests that the next Man U manager will be, for all intents and purposes, appointed by Ronaldo. Certainly approved by him

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere

However.......

Interesting times ahead.

Not at the top table yet. Probably 5 years and winning a few things away from that type of appointment. England may call sooner, yet as a coach who likes developing and improving players managing a national side it would almost be impossible to do that by recreating what happens at a club side. So, that leaves teams like Arsenal Everton and Spurs. Would they give him 3 years to rebuild? would they allow him to finish say 6th two successive years and then await for the possible reward in year three of finishing a respectable 3rd. The truth is the average life span of a premier league manager is 16 months. He's at one of the few clubs that has given him time in spadesful's.Long may it continue.

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The England job could be a poison chalice as well. England have got to the Semi Final and Final in the last 2 major tournaments, not by brilliant management but more of incredible luck with the draw in my opinion. Only a repeat or actually winning a big one will be seemed acceptable to the general public now. History suggests that's pretty unlikely.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Manure went from the maelstrom of bitchy Mourinho to fans favourite Solskjaer.

Next time I think they’ll react and go the other way with ‘a European flavour of the month’. Their fans online dream of replacing The Hobbit with a manager of Tuchel or Klopp’s class.

So hopefully not GP. Hopefully for his sake too, they won’t have the patience to take some losses in a project. They’re entitled to trophies and they demand them now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here