Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Maybe, maybe not. I think Pep will be very involved in picking his successor. He's been working with the City CEO and the sporting director first for four years in Barcelona and now five years in City and I dont think they will necessarily go for the biggest name but for the one they feel are the most competent. Liverpool had Brendan Rogers before Klopp, not sure how many CL wins he had.

Fergie had a hand in picking his successor and he opted for a bloke with a longer period of relative success and it failed. Doubtful that Pep would choose Potter anyway, don't read too much into the pleasantries.

Before Klopp Liverpool were no way near an elite European club. They wouldn't look to rebuild initially after Klopp.

Potter is one or two roles away from the elite at least.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think he would need a strong spell at an Arsenal or Tottenham in order to get himself a shot at a Liverpool or Man City. Or more likely, a Sevilla in Spain or maybe one of the squad of big clubs in Italy. You rarely jump from a PL club to the top 6. Brendan Rodgers at Leicester is rebuilding his reputation in order to try and get another shot at a big 6 club, by making them one of them!

I have no worries about Potter being poached. If it happens, we'll appoint a top class manager we've been keeping an eye on for an extended period of time. I think the squad development by Dan Ashworth and others makes the manager slightly less important - any qualified manager would have this squad performing at least as well as it currently is.

:ffsparr:

Maybe your Steve Bruce dream will come true and we'll see if the squad looks as great in his hands...

Fergie had a hand in picking his successor and he opted for a bloke with a longer period of relative success and it failed. Doubtful that Pep would choose Potter anyway, don't read too much into the pleasantries.

Before Klopp Liverpool were no way near an elite European club. They wouldn't look to rebuild initially after Klopp.

Fergie could have picked anyone and it would have failed.

No way near is a bit of a stretch. They finished second in the PL under Rodgers, one Gerrard slip from the title. But sure, I could agree they have improved since. Not quite sure that means they will be participating in the usual "hire some worn out CL winning manager" thing though, think they are a well run club working in a more deliberate manner than recycling the Ancelottis, Mourinhos and Capellos like some clubs do.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I'd argue that Moyes may not have been the wrong appointment. Much bigger managers have failed at United and it's well known that Ferguson held that final title-winning team together through force of will rather than their collective talent. They were well into a decline when he retired and Moyes inherited an aging squad with a Director of Football in Ed Woodward who has proven over time to be utter dog****. He wasn't afforded any time to get it right at all given the mammoth task he had and successive managers after him had vast sums of money and also delivered very little, so I'd argue the issue wasn't the choice of direct Fergie-successor, more the all-pervading rot that had set in from the top down.

Anyway, that's by the by. The most important thing is getting a new 6-year contract in front of Mr Potter ASA-Bl**dy-P.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Totally disagree with this.

Tottenham came calling in the summer. He didn't entertain it and WANTED to finish the project with us. What ever that project is, he won't just go for the money. He as said he likes to work for people he can trust.

What makes you think Tottenham were in for him?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
:ffsparr:

Maybe your Steve Bruce dream will come true and we'll see if the squad looks as great in his hands...

Fergie could have picked anyone and it would have failed.

No way near is a bit of a stretch. They finished second in the PL under Rodgers, one Gerrard slip from the title. But sure, I could agree they have improved since. Not quite sure that means they will be participating in the usual "hire some worn out CL winning manager" thing though, think they are a well run club working in a more deliberate manner than recycling the Ancelottis, Mourinhos and Capellos like some clubs do.

Potter would need to rebuild Liverpool to some extent and wouldn't be afforded the same grace period as offered by Brighton. As I mentioned he is one or two jobs shy of the biggest jobs in football and earning the reputation that allow him time to build a team. Next step is a Spurs, Arsenal, Sevilla, Lyon type club.

So enjoy supporting one of them for a few years!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My information (from what I consider as good a source as you could get short of GP himself or a member of his family) is that we needn't worry about him going to Tottenham as things stand. It would have to be a Man City or Bayern Munich to tempt him at the moment.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Tottenham came calling in the summer. He didn't entertain it and WANTED to finish the project with us. What ever that project is, he won't just go for the money. He as said he likes to work for people he can trust.

not they didn't. Anyway Spurs are a bad example as they had the Kane/Levy debacle over the summer. Once forgotten if they do show interest it would be a good move for Potter if he can trust the owners.

I'm pretty sure none of you (or anyone else on this board for this matter) knows if Spurs tried to get Potter in the summer or not.

Fairly sure he wont be working with Daniel Levy, who is not exactly known for his good relations to their managers, whatever happens. I think it can be ruled out.

Potter would need to rebuild Liverpool to some extent and wouldn't be afforded the same grace period as offered by Brighton. As I mentioned he is one or two jobs shy of the biggest jobs in football and earning the reputation that allow him time to build a team. Next step is a Spurs, Arsenal, Sevilla, Lyon type club.

So enjoy supporting one of them for a few years!

Normally, yes, probably. But there's a lot of exceptions to that. There were probably a lot of people saying Solskjaer was one or two jobs shy of managing United and Arteta one or two jobs why of managing Arsenal, yet those things happened.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm pretty sure none of you (or anyone else on this board for this matter) knows if Spurs tried to get Potter in the summer or not.

Fairly sure he wont be working with Daniel Levy, who is not exactly known for his good relations to their managers, whatever happens. I think it can be ruled out.

Normally, yes, probably. But there's a lot of exceptions to that. There were probably a lot of people saying Solskjaer was one or two jobs shy of managing United and Arteta one or two jobs why of managing Arsenal, yet those things happened.

The exception comes with good reason. United and Arsenal were flops. The boards brought in fan favourites.

City and Liverpool are at the very very pinnacle. Totally different kettle of fish.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You can absolutely guarantee he won't go to Spurs - he said in an interview that he wouldn't want to work with Levy. So unless Lewis sacks Levy, which doesn't look likely, it's no go.

I think Potter's pretty happy at Brighton, he's got a secure job (it's incredible to think that Bloom has only sacked two of the managers that he's appointed - and one of those for non-footballing reasons) and a team with his stamp all over it. He has a long contract and he's settled with his family. For him to be tempted away, I think it would take a lot of money and CL football. Teams like Liverpool or City would want a manager with CL pedigree.

My guess is that only two clubs are a possibility: Leicester or Everton. They're an advance on Brighton but not at stratospheric levels.

But what do I know? He could be working for the Dildo Brothers by this time next year and getting to grips with the London Stadium

Last edited:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
You can absolutely guarantee he won't go to Spurs - he said in an interview that he wouldn't want to work with Levy. So unless Lewis sacks Levy, which doesn't look likely, it's no go.

I think Potter's pretty happy at Brighton, he's got a secure job (it's incredible to think that Bloom has only sacked one of the managers that he's appointed - and that for non-footballing reasons) and a team with his stamp all over it. He has a long contract and he's settled with his family. For him to be tempted away, I think it would take a lot of money and CL football. Teams like Liverpool or City would want a manager with CL pedigree.

My guess is that only two clubs are a possibility: Leicester or Everton. They're an advance on Brighton but not at stratospheric levels.

But what do I know? He could be working for the Dildo Brothers by this time next year and getting to grips with the London Stadium

what was the non footballing reason for sacking CH?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
what was the non footballing reason for sacking CH?

Ooops forgot CH. Ok, he's only sacked one manager for footballing reasons.

When he think of the 13 managers at Watford in a shorter time frame, that's incredible
(Edited my post too)

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
This with bells on!

Anyone who believes that this unprecedented act of loyalty will be played out by Potter is deluded, wearing rose tinted spectacles etc.

If a Spurs, Arsenal or anyone above come calling he is off. Even if it is not about the tripling of his salary (which will be a head turner to anyone) it will most certainly be the greater opportunity to sit at the top table and potential to mix it with the rest of Europe.

He's a very smart man and will have a career/development plan. He will have seen other managers be linked with big jobs that never materialised (Smug Eddie) and know that if the opportunity arises it may not come back again for a few years. To a large extent he has accomplished what he set out to at Brighton.

I'm not convinced this is the case at all.

First there are reasons to stay here, and they have nothing to do with "loyalty". As a club we, maybe uniquely, have everything a young manager could want. Top facilities, top scouting and recruitment, a great city to live in, a great Chairman, CEO and DoF all supporting the manager, with patience, a collective vision, a progressive mindset and approach to elite sport, and a deep understanding of the importance not just of resources but also of people (something I think GP shares).

This is a good place to be, and that is a lot to throw away in favor of a job which, usually, involves ownership with short term thinking, impatience, an overreliance on financial resources, and where results are expected more than appreciated.

He's also said a number of times, he does not have a career/development plan. He doesn't look at things that way. He doesn't think too far ahead, he just takes things as they come. I'm sure he would be flattered to be of interest to the big clubs, but I'm not sure he would feel the need to go and do it any time soon, not when he is part way through a project already, one which is proving successful, his players are improving and learning, he is improving and learning.

It's not about loyalty, but I do think the way we (him and the club) operate is exactly the way he wants to operate. I could be wrong, but he strikes me as the kind of person who prefers the challenge of making the best of what you have, rather than having abundance giving automatic results. I think he'd rather make history with a club breaking new ground, than ride on the coattails of clubs who have already been there and done it.

I'm not saying he will never take a bigger job, and I could be thinking wishfully here, but I can see so many very good reasons why staying here in the long term would be appealing, and so many reasons why taking a big club job could be viewed as a potential wrong turn. Especially while he is so young, and especially while our project has so much further to go.

I reserve the right to be wrong about all of the above, but it's what I think.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
These 'Potter out' threads have quickly moved on.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I'm not convinced this is the case at all.

First there are reasons to stay here, and they have nothing to do with "loyalty". As a club we, maybe uniquely, have everything a young manager could want. Top facilities, top scouting and recruitment, a great city to live in, a great Chairman, CEO and DoF all supporting the manager, with patience, a collective vision, a progressive mindset and approach to elite sport, and a deep understanding of the importance not just of resources but also of people (something I think GP shares).

This is a good place to be, and that is a lot to throw away in favor of a job which, usually, involves ownership with short term thinking, impatience, an overreliance on financial resources, and where results are expected more than appreciated.

He's also said a number of times, he does not have a career/development plan. He doesn't look at things that way. He doesn't think too far ahead, he just takes things as they come. I'm sure he would be flattered to be of interest to the big clubs, but I'm not sure he would feel the need to go and do it any time soon, not when he is part way through a project already, one which is proving successful, his players are improving and learning, he is improving and learning.

It's not about loyalty, but I do think the way we (him and the club) operate is exactly the way he wants to operate. I could be wrong, but he strikes me as the kind of person who prefers the challenge of making the best of what you have, rather than having abundance giving automatic results. I think he'd rather make history with a club breaking new ground, than ride on the coattails of clubs who have already been there and done it.

I'm not saying he will never take a bigger job, and I could be thinking wishfully here, but I can see so many very good reasons why staying here in the long term would be appealing, and so many reasons why taking a big club job could be viewed as a potential wrong turn. Especially while he is so young, and especially while our project has so much further to go.

I reserve the right to be wrong about all of the above, but it's what I think.

This I can agree with. I believe it took us to sell GP a long term project with a fully supportive board behind him to convince him to up and move from Swansea.
I think for a club to take him away they would have to sell the same long term, fully backed project, which is sometimes hard for the top 6 sides as they all expect success very quickly. Some recent reports he has already said no to Spurs already no idea if this was true or not. I think he will go one day but I can also see him being here for a while yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here