Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Graham Potter joins on four-year deal

NotABrightonFan

Sep 21, 2019
I mean some of us saw this coming. It was inevitably going to happen when the statistics were so clearly in your favour over the last 18 months.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I mean some of us saw this coming. It was inevitably going to happen when the statistics were so clearly in your favour over the last 18 months.

Who do you support out of interest?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not sure - I’d imagine [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] or [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] etc will be able to tell us. Certainly hasn’t been around since his ‘short ban’..?
As far as I am aware, vagabond is not currently banned.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not sure - I’d imagine [MENTION=4675]Frutos[/MENTION] or [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] etc will be able to tell us. Certainly hasn’t been around since his ‘short ban’..?

I believe the technical term is flounce

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was a strong Potter out, one of the first too join the club. Can only see him leaving for City when Peps contract expires. I was wrong (very, very rare for that to be the case) - but sometimes you've just got to hold your hands up and admit it. We've got a real gem here. Shame the board let him down by not signing a number 9 though.

Because the existing strikers are doing such a bad job at the moment... :rollseyes:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I was Potter out at times last season. To be fair, I judge purely on results and, if we're being honest, there were long (long) periods last season where our results were utter shite, and showed no sign of improving. The fact we didn't get out 4th win until the end of January last season speaks volumes, and justifies my feelings at the time. Loving it right now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
[MENTION=42429]Nobby Cybergoat[/MENTION] - for example.

Hi Badger

You've assigned me a previous incarnation, which I can assure you is incorrect.

Someone else said the same, so I guess we have similar writing styles or the timings of us joining or leaving match up or something. But anyway, you've called that one wrong

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was Potter out at times last season. To be fair, I judge purely on results and, if we're being honest, there were long (long) periods last season where our results were utter shite, and showed no sign of improving. The fact we didn't get out 4th win until the end of January last season speaks volumes, and justifies my feelings at the time. Loving it right now.

I can understand there are people that think like this, results-first, and that's fair enough I suppose, we're all different. For me its far more about the trajectory, the promise of better results in the future, enjoying the journey. When we get 'there', wherever 'there' is, it will become more about the results for me - in our promotion campaigns over the past two decades it was all about the results, no doubt. But the here and now is undoubtedly a stage on a journey for us, not the final destination.

It was pointed out that Steve Bruce had a better record as manager of Newcastle than Potter did as manager of Brighton, over exactly the same time scale (although after 4 wins from 5 this year, that may have changed). So from a results-first position, you'd presumably rather be following his style and teams than our style and teams. Taking a longer-term view, however, the best you can see Bruce's Newcastle achieving is exactly the same year-in, year-out, but with us the potential for progression was always there even if the results weren't. So now the results are here, previous outers are saying 'I was wrong' and the rest of us are saying 'we're not surprised'.

If a club wants to safely finish 13th-16th each season, you can do a Bruce or a Dyche or a Hodgson, and get a stable team of experienced-and-solid regulars and that little bit of flair sufficient to achieve that with relative ease - but thats the limit. If you want to aim to finish consistently higher (without big cash injections a la Wolves or West Ham, or being a flash-in-the-pan like Sheffield), you have to take time to develop youth and inexperience, both players AND managers, and have a clear plan in place. At the outset this won't get the results, might even flirt with relegation, and underachieve performances, but in the longer run it opens up potential. Leicester almost got relegated in 2014 with a team containing the then inexperienced Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Morgan, Simpson, Mahrez and Vardy, bottom of the table in mid-April - all six were key regulars in their title-winning side. But that's just one parallel, and every side is different. I doubt even Leicester's wildest dreams foresaw the rapid and incredible rise of Mahrez, Vardy and Kante to the elite level of the game. They got world-class stars turning out for them for one amazing season before they came under pressure to sell them. For us, we had to sell White and we may have to sell Bissouma soon. The hardest part might be not turning into Southampton and becoming just a conveyor belt for talent. But overall, I love what we're doing - impossible not to really at this singular moment in time :)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

There is no question at all that there were serious question marks last year. The results were a joke, the team selections were hilarious and he appeared to have no idea whatsoever how to get the team winning games. January onwards last season was very good, it all seemed to click into gear and we were consistently picking up results. Without question, we're going to have a difficult spell this season but I'm confident that we'll be able to come through it because we've already got a nice cushion of points to build on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi Badger

You've assigned me a previous incarnation, which I can assure you is incorrect.

Someone else said the same, so I guess we have similar writing styles or the timings of us joining or leaving match up or something. But anyway, you've called that one wrong

You don't have a similar writing style.

The joining time does match but you come across as considerably more pleasant.
So I assumed you were the other mentioned poster having dropped twattishness persona.

Of course it could be t'other way round, you've hidden away your natural twattishness, under the persona of a 'normal' person. :lol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You don't have a similar writing style.

The joining time does match but you come across as considerably more pleasant.
So I assumed you were the other mentioned poster having dropped twattishness persona.

Of course it could be t'other way round, you've hidden away your natural twattishness, under the persona of a 'normal' person. :lol:

And you reached that conclusion before reaching the conclusion that i might be a different person?

Stat, Uh huh him, badger boy.

You going to the Swansea game? Meet you for a beer before if you like. I'll be in the Swan back garden before the game from about 6. Then you can come on here and tell people whether you think i am vagabond or not. Of course, unless you've met the bloke, I won't be able to prove it definitively, but I reckon I can be a bit more convincing in person than by typing stuff out.

From my point of view, i've signed up to an Albion chat site, started contributing quite a bit, because i have very little on at work at the moment, and several people have independently reached the conclusion that i'm a disliked previous poster, despite the fact that I don't write like him and don't express the same sort of opinions as him and there's, as far as I can tell nothing in the actual history of my posting which links us, apart from that i started sometime around when he stopped?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And you reached that conclusion before reaching the conclusion that i might be a different person?

You going to the Swansea game? Meet you for a beer before if you like. I'll be in the Swan back garden before the game from about 6. Then you can come on here and tell people whether you think i am vagabond or not. Of course, unless you've met the bloke, I won't be able to prove it definitively, but I reckon I can be a bit more convincing in person than by typing stuff out.

From my point of view, i've signed up to an Albion chat site, started contributing quite a bit, because i have very little on at work at the moment, and several people have independently reached the conclusion that i'm a disliked previous poster, despite the fact that I don't write like him and don't express the same sort of opinions as him and there's, as far as I can tell nothing in the actual history of my posting which links us, apart from that i started sometime around when he stopped?
You don't have to be, I didn't mind t'other fella, much like our 'friend' from near the Arctic Circle I eventually ignored 99% of the shite he wrote.

I don't ignore you (sorry about that) cos you're not writing shite, I wish I could say the same about myself.
In this place I really don't care much beyond that.

In fact a:-

'haha it was me all along'

big reveal would actually be quite amusing! :lol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Oh and the back garden of the swan will be quite busy so you'll have to shout out my name.

"NOB. Is there a Nob here? I'm looking for nob"

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I hope that [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] has signed up as a new user. TBH I quite liked his posts, he just got a bit sactimonious and paranoid on occasion.
Although in truth I had a fair amount of sympathy for him and felt he was harshly treated quite frequently.
Whether you are or aren't him, is of no consequence to me. I would just be very surprised if he had chosen to never post again.

For the record though, this type of post, does little to disassociate yourself from him

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I hope that [MENTION=38362]vagabond[/MENTION] has signed up as a new user. TBH I quite liked his posts, he just got a bit sactimonious and paranoid on occasion.
Although in truth I had a fair amount of sympathy for him and felt he was harshly treated quite frequently.
Whether you are or aren't him, is of no consequence to me. I would just be very surprised if he had chosen to never post again.

For the record though, this type of post, does little to disassociate yourself from him

What, the going for a beer bit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here