Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Graffiti Tagging - who is doing it and why?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 10.19.26.png

Here's who is doing it!

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17973500.f-off-mate---laughing-graffiti-vandal-confronted-camera/

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I caught a kid spraying my garage door about 20 years ago . . . . I was in the garage so heard it, sneaked out the front door and grabbed him, slammed him up against the wall, made him clean it off and never saw him again . . .he was probably about 13ish . . . . must have shat him up a bit.

I did wonder if I was going to get the whole house done, but think I'm in the clear now. I think he learned his lesson.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
What amazes me is the places these 'artists' manage to tag or paint some weird mural. When you see this stuff halfway up a block of flats or on the business side of a railway or road bridge, I often think 'how the **** did they manage that?'

eg

graffiti2.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well you loved the Bruno street art :shrug:

That's because there's a huge difference between street art and tagging. Most people at least have an appreciation street art, sanctioned or otherwise. You do know the difference?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think Brighton has the same amount of graffiti as other places but less cleaning up of graffiti so it all just accumulates. Seems to be concentrated in certain areas (Western Road, London Rd, Lewes Rd). Go to Paris, Madrid, Rome or London and there is loads more than Brighton.

Berlin is covered in graffiti. I don’t have an issue with it personally; if you live in a city centre it’s just part of life.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
That's because there's a huge difference between street art and tagging. Most people at least have an appreciation street art, sanctioned or otherwise. You do know the difference?

Don't waste your breath. The basic problem is that taggers are too thick to see it.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Just ignore it. It's only kids doing what kids do. It's a bit of fun. It might be annoying but you were kids once too. As you get older you grow out of it. Old farts like us forget that we were young once. It may be annoying and bring down the tone of the place and in fact it can be downright ugly. I don't approve of it at all. In fact it makes me very angry. Bring back the birch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well that makes it OK then. We can just pass off anything as 'it's just part of life'

It’s true though. It’s a bit like living in the centre of Brighton and complaining about it being a bit busy. Or there’s loud police sirens. Why should I spend my day worrying about my apartment wall being graffitied...other than it maybe being offensive?

SAC

May 21, 2014
It’s true though. It’s a bit like living in the centre of Brighton and complaining about it being a bit busy. Or there’s loud police sirens. Why should I spend my day worrying about my apartment wall being graffitied...other than it maybe being offensive?

Does it say Verpiss dich, Engländer?

Northern_Gull

Mar 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Reaching out to those in the know here, and realising that I'm sounding like a naive old dear, but it's something that's been puzzling me for a while.

Graffiti tagging is epidemic in Brighton - and virtually any building is now fair game.

From the sheer number and variety of tags (not graffiti artwork, which is mostly pretty stunning), there must be a lot of people out and about with spray cans.

Yet when visiting city centres like Newcastle and Liverpool for away games they seem relatively untouched in comparison.

Why is it such a huge thing in Brighton? Who is doing it and why?

Interesting you mention Newcastle, when I was up there I saw quite a lot of graffiti and tagging. However it does appear they have some areas designated for graffiti, saw a big group of 20 somethings spraying over some other graffiti in a well lit area, obviously more sophisticated than just a tagging but I wouldn't exactly call it street art.
Seems Brighton could try this out, as even though its not the most amazing thing, it's definitely better than some kids initials splashed on a wall.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Once upon a time we were all teenagers I used to terrorise with bangers I used to bring back France on the day trips.. happy times:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here