Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grabban's failure to sign for us - Oscar responsible?

Stumpy Tim

Why are people saying Oscar isn't arrogant?

Of course he's arrogant, you don't get to the top of your chosen field without a degree of arrogance.

Being arrogant is only a bad thing when you don't/can't back it up.
Or when you have minimal to no empathy with the people around you.

I'd imagine Oscar is a very arrogant man, passionately committed to his ethos of football.
But Oscar appears to also be respectful of others, thoughtful, understanding, a leader, and a man who commands respect.

But people who interact with him have already said he's not arrogant, so you're wrong. He's a shy guy who seems to know exactly what he wants.

You do know that not all successful people are arrogant yes?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But people who interact with him have already said he's not arrogant, so you're wrong. He's a shy guy who seems to know exactly what he wants.

You do know that not all successful people are arrogant yes?
I know a common trait of a high percentage of the most successful people is a degree of arrogance.

You do realise a major characteristic of someone being arrogant is a guy who seems to know exactly what he wants.

As said before arrogance isn't a bad thing, esp for 'the man in charge', when that man is a well rounded individual, which Oscar appears to be.

If Oscar didn't have a firm belief in exactly what he wanted (arrogance) we would have seen it played out in all manner of formations, on the pitch.
In fact we wouldn't have done, because without a level of well placed and well earned arrogance, Oscar wouldn't be ours (or anybodies) manager.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I must be imagining it, but I am sure that there was a statement not a quote by, I think David Burke at one of the supporters club meetings stating, that at the time Grabban returned to Bournemouth, they hadn't even got as far as talking about money.
So I am firmly in the Grabban fishing expedition camp.

Oddly enough, just got back from our meeting with Burke & funny enough someone mentioned Grabban. Not gonna give my opinion on exact what happened but Burke def said Oscar was v keen on Grabban. So yes, the OPs 'rumour' from 'several' people is well wide of the mark. Also Burke confirmed Oscar has the final say on what players come and go essentially.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You posted this on August 10 (the day of the home game against Derby). I obviously wrongly assumed you were there in person:-

Sorry, I misunderstood. I posted that on here but didn't mention it in print.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Question: If we rounded up all the friends/good contacts/inside sources/rumour-mongers within the club over the past year, I wonder how many club 'insiders' actually exist?

My guess is around 500.

The number of authentic 'sources' prepared to divulge stories from within the club? Say about 10?

The obvious problem with any source - even the most trusted ones - is that they have a reason for giving you inside information. Deciding on what that reason is colours your opinion of that information ...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Robert Codner, who is Grabban's agent (as well as Solly March) was on our train to and from Nottingham yesterday. His version of events is that Grabban didn't come to the Albion purely because Bournemouth offered him more money than we did.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Robert Codner, who is Grabban's agent (as well as Solly March) was on our train to and from Nottingham yesterday. His version of events is that Grabban didn't come to the Albion purely because Bournemouth offered him more money than we did.

That is just far too obvious and reasonable to be true.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But even in the last week we've been told by 'people in the know' that we didn't get as far as contract negotiations.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

What's the rest of the story then? Was it that he wasn't guaranteed to start every match?

A footballer reaching a decision based on money - never !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here