Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grabban's failure to sign for us - Oscar responsible?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It's just a rumour so not worth much. All I would say is that if I was a player signing for a football club Gus Poyet would impress me about ten times more than Oscar Garcia on first meeting. Not saying one is better than the other overall, but this is something that Gus was particularly good at doing, the signing of CMS being a prime example, where we got a player for less money than others were offering him becuase he wanted to sign for the the vision that Gus has painted him.
Disagree, Gus probably has more contacts in this country (e.g doubt we would have managed to sign players like Wayne Bridge without him), however, 99% of players will move to the club who is offering them the most money. I can't say I'd blame them as they have short careers and have to try and make as much as possible.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think then, that you would be very VERY surprised!

Yep, that's also possible.

The individual concerned could just know - they are loosely linked to the playing side of the club, which is why I gave it any credence at all.

So do you think that someone very close to the transfer would come out and say to the rest of the playing squad that we were trying to sign Grabban from Bournemouth but either a) Oscar doesn't feel like speaking to him until the deal is done or b) Oscar didn't bother speaking to him about signing so he changed his mind about joining?

Seems extremely unlikely to me

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
As stated on another post hopefully Oscar will have far more input on likely signings IE players that he actually wants which is sensible cost wise rather than a list compiled by our scouts and given to him.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's just a rumour so not worth much. All I would say is that if I was a player signing for a football club Gus Poyet would impress me about ten times more than Oscar Garcia on first meeting. Not saying one is better than the other overall, but this is something that Gus was particularly good at doing, the signing of CMS being a prime example, where we got a player for less money than others were offering him becuase he wanted to sign for the the vision that Gus has painted him.

And how many more times would Russell Slade impress you or Micky Adams or Barry Lloyd or Jimmy Melia? Not really worth saying at all really is it as it has nothing to do with an unfounded rumour about the professionalism or personality of our current manager.

Perhaps you could start a new thread about Gus, we could do with one of those.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Grabban got a better paid contract at Bournmouth and chose to stay for the money.

I have a friend (my ex boss) who's well connected at muff and this was his take on events. He tells it as Grabban was serious and would have come - he wasn't trying to force muff to offer more or anything like that. But 'money is king', 'better the devil you know', 'big fish, small pond' - pick your own cliche - they offered more than us, so he stayed. Simple as.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I must be imagining it, but I am sure that there was a statement not a quote by, I think David Burke at one of the supporters club meetings stating, that at the time Grabban returned to Bournemouth, they hadn't even got as far as talking about money.
That's surprising, given the way Sky reported the deal. Everyone believed the offer had been made, Eddie Howe had basically said goodbye to him.

Yes I've heard this

Do i believe the person who told me ... Undoubtedly yes.
So Oscar doesn't realise that it might be important for a player to meet him before agreeing to join? That's very odd.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have a friend (my ex boss) who's well connected at muff and this was his take on events. He tells it as Grabban was serious and would have come - he wasn't trying to force muff to offer more or anything like that. But 'money is king', 'better the devil you know', 'big fish, small pond' - pick your own cliche - they offered more than us, so he stayed. Simple as.

This is exactly what happened. Grabban came down, was very impressed, ready to sign but his agent then started playing silly buggers with both Bmuff and us, trying to build up a bidding war. TB/OG told Grabban that they don't play those games and Grabban accepted a much improved offer at Bmuff.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
OK, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'll push on anyway.

Since the Jan transfer window a fair number of people have commented on what the reason(s) may be that Grabban didn't sign for us, with the single largest body of thought being that he never really intended to come to us; it was all a ploy to get 'Muff to offer a better contract.

I have now heard a rumour from two different sources (one a long standing fan in early Feb [meh, I know], and one employed by the club who is in a position to possibly know the truth in the last couple of days) that it was all set to go forward until Oscar declined to meet Grabban as a final step in the process, saying something like "I don't need to meet him; he's met all the people who need to meet him"; at which point Grabban is alleged to have declined to sign. Note: I didn't get the impression that OG was saying that he didn't want him, or that he wasn't involved; just that he had no need to meet him until he turned up for training.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone else heard this?
2) Does anyone believe it can possibly be true?

Personally, I can't believe that Oscar would have declined to meet a close-to-signature signing, but I throw it out there to see if anyone else has heard the same thing...

*ducks*

my take on it was he didn't want to play second fiddle in a team that plays with one striker and he used us as bargaining tool to get an improved contract at Bournemouth.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
OK, I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I'll push on anyway.

Since the Jan transfer window a fair number of people have commented on what the reason(s) may be that Grabban didn't sign for us, with the single largest body of thought being that he never really intended to come to us; it was all a ploy to get 'Muff to offer a better contract.

I have now heard a rumour from two different sources (one a long standing fan in early Feb [meh, I know], and one employed by the club who is in a position to possibly know the truth in the last couple of days) that it was all set to go forward until Oscar declined to meet Grabban as a final step in the process, saying something like "I don't need to meet him; he's met all the people who need to meet him"; at which point Grabban is alleged to have declined to sign. Note: I didn't get the impression that OG was saying that he didn't want him, or that he wasn't involved; just that he had no need to meet him until he turned up for training.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone else heard this?
2) Does anyone believe it can possibly be true?

Personally, I can't believe that Oscar would have declined to meet a close-to-signature signing, but I throw it out there to see if anyone else has heard the same thing...

*ducks*

It was just so an agent can have a post-Christmas bonus that is it.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

This is more to the point shirley?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
This is exactly what happened. Grabban came down, was very impressed, ready to sign but his agent then started playing silly buggers with both Bmuff and us, trying to build up a bidding war. TB/OG told Grabban that they don't play those games and Grabban accepted a much improved offer at Bmuff.

This, what I've heard anyway. We shouldnt be held to ransom by players.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Money Grabban never wanted to leave Bournemouth it was all a con to get them to give him a new contract with loads more money - only winners were him and his agent. It was a nice drive for him along the coast rather than heading up to London to con QPR or similar

IMO

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
His agent must be well pleased with himself , mugging off two clubs at once. He can make it a hat-trick if "Money" signs for the SCUM over the summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here