Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grabban

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
TB account of Grabban transfer was given in an interview with BBC in May.

Depeche Mode's account was recorded in 1983...

The Grabban hands grab all they can
All for themselves - after all
It's a competitive world
Everything counts in large amounts

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's funny because the two stories I heard were a) that Oscar wasn't bothered and he didn't sign because he wouldn't meet with him or b) he was using us to get a better deal at Bournemouth. But obviously you know better. I used to think you were a sensible poster but you're actually amongst the worst of the moaners.

As for Van Dijk, why does he keep getting brought up. Groningen wouldn't sell him. It wasn't a case of bidding £500K more (to the poster who said that). Our fans are really thick sometimes.

That's funny because TB was in the wrong time zone and couldn't be contacted in the final part of negotiation, and where did you read that Oscar didn't meet with him because he couldn't be bothered, we found out that he already had. Where would Grabban have gone to have his medical? Possibly in Brighton after he met with Oscar?

What is wrong with someone giving an honest opinion? All I am saying is that the club is not perfect and they make mistakes. This one I see as a costly one on two levels.

I haven't even mentioned Van Dijk, that was 2 years ago and wasn't relevant our promotion push last season.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Possibly the straw that broke the camel's back for Oscar resulting in more shuffling in the close season? Maybe TB is gonna back this manager?

Whatever the reason I feel Oscar was hung out to dry with the transfers in and out last season.

Yep, totally agree and we are dealing with the knock on effect now. As Einstein said, "for every action there is an equal and oppostite reaction".

Every decision we make in life starts a chain of events, even where TB is concerned. In this case losing Oscars faith in our ambition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oscar , according to TB , asked for Rodriguez in Jan.
He got him. 1 goal.

I'd like to hear Oscar's side, TB is obviously not going to accept responsibility for Oscar walking, certainly not to the fans.

So are to believe that was Oscar's only player request? Personally wasn't that impressed by the TB interview after Oscar's departure.

I think some people think TB is perfect and hang on his every word. I think he has done fabulous things for the club and we owe him Falmer but some of what has happened I'm not so keen on :shrug:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But we don't actually know what we offered etc. If we offered the max our structure allows (as much as we pay anyone else) then I don't think we should have offered more.

It's not just about what we offered or what he wanted, his value increased three fold.

At the time our targets were Grabban and Conway. Grabban was banging in goals for fun before and after January, Conway scored a good amount with many assists for Blackburn whilst being voted player of the month.

When we were hanging on to, or near abouts the playoffs, with a thin squad and injuries it would have made a massive difference to the way we finished.

Had we secured our place earlier, Upson and Greer could have been rested before the playoffs, both carrying injuries at the time, and we would have started against Derby with Grabban, Conway, instead of injured Buckley, a lack of match fitness Orlandi, but also with a fit Greer and Upson.

We were on our knees in the second match and the team was spent.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we certainly would have been a lot stronger with them and I would have fancied our chances against QPR.

With our league position in January I just feel we should have taken a punt and gone for it because at the end of the day promotion and a £100m was the prize, and it was within our grasp.

We are trying to keep a fair wage structure, but some players give better value for money.

The fact is we would not have lost a penny, but gained many with Grabban, if we got to the Prem, or sold him five months later.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not just about what we offered or what he wanted, his value increased three fold.

At the time our targets were Grabban and Conway. Grabban was banging in goals for fun before and after January, Conway scored a good amount with many assists for Blackburn whilst being voted player of the month.

When we were hanging on to, or near abouts the playoffs, with a thin squad and injuries it would have made a massive difference to the way we finished.

Had we secured our place earlier, Upson and Greer could have been rested before the playoffs, both carrying injuries at the time, and we would have started against Derby with Grabban, Conway, instead of injured Buckley, a lack of match fitness Orlandi, but also with a fit Greer and Upson.

We were on our knees in the second match and the team was spent.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we certainly would have been a lot stronger with them and I would have fancied our chances against QPR.

With our league position in January I just feel we should have taken a punt and gone for it because at the end of the day promotion and a £100m was the prize, and it was within our grasp.

We are trying to keep a fair wage structure, but some players give better value for money.

The fact is we would not have lost a penny, but gained many with Grabban, if we got to the Prem, or sold him five months later.

But if that (not permitted under FFP) gamble hadn't paid off, and with several other clubs vying for the same place it probably wouldn't have .... then we looking at a crippling transfer ban.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know it did, but we have to have a limit. It would have been a huge benefit to have extra players, but we don't know how the season would have finished if we did get them, and without a limit to wages or playing hardball, we'd end up playing all of our players more.

Grabban was the one signing where I posted that I thought it was a mistake at the time, but without forgetting that I don't know if we offered him the max our structure allows.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But if that (not permitted under FFP) gamble hadn't paid off, and with several other clubs vying for the same place it probably wouldn't have .... then we looking at a crippling transfer ban.

You missed the bit where I said about selling him if we didn't get promoted and making money to counter FFP, and we wouldn't be in the same category as other clubs when it comes to crippling transfer embargos.

We were three games and two players short of a shout at the Prem.

Doesn't really matter now anyway. I have explained the scenario as clear as I can so you are welcome to try and understand what I am saying even if you disagree with it.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Thread: Grabban
by daveyboy1973

Grabban

Apparently not worth the wages he wanted!! Scored twice tonight!! Who decides our wage cap??

Today, 21:42

Thread: The past!!!
by daveyboy1973

And I'm not a bedwetter

by daveyboy1973

Edit: don't wanna be playing catch up

by daveyboy1973

The past!!!

Why do people keep going on about the past and where we come from? Are we gonna be saying that forever? We all know what we've been through!!! The point is we have the highest attendances outside of...

Thread: Sami disappointed with the crowd for Southampton game [video]
by daveyboy1973

He looks and sounds like a man that thinks he's ****ed up coming here!!!!!

Thread: Brighton vs Southampton match thread
by daveyboy1973

Wow friendly or not, this is embarrassing!!!!!

Thread: Brighton vs Southampton match thread
by daveyboy1973

Have we actually been in their half!!!! Do the powers that be actually realise the season starts next week?????

Thread: Stockdale will he sign today !!!!
by daveyboy1973

And......... Surprise surprise still nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread: Stockdale will he sign today !!!!
by daveyboy1973

And..................nothing

Thread: Emergency meeting + stockdale update
by daveyboy1973

And........... Nothing!!

Thread: "3 More Deals/Loans Next Week" - BBC
by daveyboy1973

Johhny cantor/Andy naylor neither of them have a ****ing clue what's going on!!!!!

Thread: Stream for tonight?
by daveyboy1973

Good luck sami!!! Your gonna need it

Thread: Stream for tonight?
by daveyboy1973

Lua lua same shower of shit every time he starts!!!!

Thread: O'Grady can be a big hit.
by daveyboy1973

New news would be nice in stead of the same regurgitated shit!!!!!

Thread: Luke Brattan
by daveyboy1973

Is that the extent of our ambition??????

Thread: Sammy Lee - joining Southampton FC (NOT assistant manager at the Albion)
by daveyboy1973

I really don't care who is or isn't gonna be our assistant manager, I'm much more interested in what PLAYERS we are gonna buy!!!!!!!

Thread: Brentford
by daveyboy1973

I hope we are looking at bigger targets!!! Otherwise this déjà vu feeling is getting a bit tedious!!!!

Congratulations on the COVETED NSC's Biggest Whinger of the Summer Award

Congratulations on winning NSC's biggest weirdo award. You have far too much time on your hands or you're mega obsessed. Either way get out more. :lolol:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Congratulations on winning NSC's biggest weirdo award. You have far too much time on your hands or you're mega obsessed. Either way get out more. :lolol:

To be fair, it's not exactly hard to make two mouse clicks, then ctrl+A then ctrl+v. mere seconds really.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Phat Baz tried to imply the same thing and left with his tail between his legs. Nice try, but no cigar because...

To be fair, it's not exactly hard to make two mouse clicks, then ctrl+A then ctrl+v. mere seconds really.

Yup. That. Cheers.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
No one does! But surely it wasn't that ridiculous!! A summer of frustration, I'll be the first to hold my hand up and say I was a whinging **** if everything turns out ok!

I suspect there will be a fair few reminding you :)

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Phat Baz tried to imply the same thing and left with his tail between his legs. Nice try, but no cigar because...

Yup. That. Cheers.

Is this some kind of NSC mafia now? Running with tails between legs :lolol:

It's still weird, and your moaning about others moaning is far more substantial.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here