Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

grabban gone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So those two are the one we should have offered more for :mad:
Do you think we should have offered more for Murray, or do you think we were right to let him go?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do you think we should have offered more for Murray, or do you think we were right to let him go?

I don't really know because i don't know our budget, his salary prior to leaving, the other players salaries, what we did offer, what he was asking for, what other players were available and at what cost. If you can get that info for me then i'll be happy to make an informed decision.

You see without some or any of that that information, I could look a bit of a tit if I made the wrong decision, couldn't I ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't really know because i don't know our budget, his salary prior to leaving, the other players salaries, what we did offer, what he was asking for, what other players were available and at what cost. If you can get that info for me then i'll be happy to make an informed decision.
You're going to hurt yourself on that fence. There's a difference between having no idea what someone's been offered, and having some idea. The way you're reacting you'd never pass opinion of any footballer ever, because you don't know how much they're on compared to every other footballer on the planet.

You see without some or any of that that information, I could look a bit of a tit if I made the wrong decision, couldn't I ?
:whistle:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're going to hurt yourself on that fence. There's a difference between having no idea what someone's been offered, and having some idea. The way you're reacting you'd never pass opinion of any footballer ever, because you don't know how much they're on compared to every other footballer on the planet.

:whistle:

Well, working on your basis of having no idea of any cost implications, we should have offered more to Murray, Grabban, Conway, Bridcutt, Noone, Wood, Barnes and every other play who has gone on to perform at this level or higher and not offered any more for anyone who hasn't.

I'm getting nearly as good as you at this

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
From rumour, BHA offered 8.5K per week, CPFC offered 11K per week, Murray offered to stay with BHA for 9.5K, or he would take the 11K offered at Palace.

I think we should have met this if it were true, but I think Gus just didn't like working with him that much, despite his obvious quality.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
From rumour, BHA offered 8.5K per week, CPFC offered 11K per week, Murray offered to stay with BHA for 9.5K, or he would take the 11K offered at Palace.

I think we should have met this if it were true, but I think Gus just didn't like working with him that much, despite his obvious quality.

If that were true, then I think we should have definitely kept him, but i also heard that the decision was Gus's and he didn't rate him. (Although I suspect that there would be less mourning the loss of Murray, if his second season at the Scum had been similar to his first).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, working on your basis
And working on your basis, we should never bother discussing whether it was good or bad to get, keep, sell or miss out on a player.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't ignore FFP, I'm aware there's no bottomless pit and that there are limits. And while I don't know the amount we offered Murray, I'm pretty sure we could have offered more (without offering more than we'd offered CMS), and with hindsight I think we should have. And I don't know what we offered Grabban, but we seem to have offered less than Bournemouth, and I would guess we offered him less than we're paying Ulloa and CMS.

We can't offer all players as much as they ask for, we have to play the game and see what we can get away with, often paying less than we could. Grabban was the one player I thought we should have tried harder to sign, that's all. I know others disagree, and don't think he's that good - I just thought he was the sort of player we needed at the time.

Agree, it is my understanding that we offered Murray £7.5k a week, but he would have stayed for £9k.

Disclaimer: Before anyone questions this and asks me to prove it, I don't have to.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Agree, it is my understanding that we offered Murray £7.5k a week, but he would have stayed for £9k.

Disclaimer: Before anyone questions this and asks me to prove it, I don't have to.

or his Agent would have him stay for £9k

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Equally we don't have to believe you as, like most stuff on here, it could purely be speculation!

I am not expecting anyone to believe it on here because unless you heard it the way I was told, and by whom, you would not be able to form an opinion either way.

It’s not about you or anyone else believing me, it’s about me believing who told me.

I did not detect any bullshit at the time so this is my unchangeable view of the situation.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Poyet didn't think he was worth it, the board were willing to pay it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Poyet didn't think he was worth it, the board were willing to pay it.

Yep that was exactly what I was told. Poyet was asked if we should pay him what he was asking for and he said no, let him go.

This is what happens when you give a manager your full trust which was Blooms mistake at the time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyway, irony of ironies, there are plenty of Bournemouth fans on Twitter now complaining that Grabban is "obviously only interested in money".

Well duh :dunce:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep that was exactly what I was told. Poyet was asked if we should pay him what he was asking for and he said no, let him go.

This is what happens when you give a manager your full trust which was Blooms mistake at the time.
Although the decision didn't work out for us, I think it's good if the board asked the manager if we should pay it. The manager is the one who knows the most about our players, and how he expects the team to take shape, so I like the fact that their wishes are taken into account. It just didn't work on that occasion.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Although the decision didn't work out for us, I think it's good if the board asked the manager if we should pay it. The manager is the one who knows the most about our players, and how he expects the team to take shape, so I like the fact that their wishes are taken into account. It just didn't work on that occasion.

Yep, a manager should have a say, but mainly about new players. I don't think Poyet had to tell Bloom that Harley was awful, well at least I hope he didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here