Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GP: I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
BDB was used as an outball so much more last season from memory, for a player who looks like a kick-and-run player he has a good first touch and can take it down well.

Also he seems lovely. I can see why fans may turn against a player who seems a bit nasty, but he's a gentle giant.

very much this. for a giant of a man, his touch and skill with the ball at his feet is very impressive. shame he cant shoot!! :moo:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
To be fair, Burn has produced some absolute shockers of performances at times this season (the Wolves match springs to mind) for which it was perfectly justifiable to criticise him. He might "give it his all" but that doesn't excuse basic mistakes and poor positioning, he's a Premier League level footballer not an 8 year old in a school team.

I can think of several players who has performed bad in some game and still not recieved half of the shit BDB frequently gets (way before the Leicester/Wolves games) while generally ignoring how solid and consistent he has been for most of his 49 league games over the last 1,5 seasons. Its a very decent footballer who really doesnt make more mistakes than most players, its just far more noticeable when he does as him fumbling or ****ing up just looks more silly than if March, Lamptey or Veltman fumbles or **** up.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
To be fair, Burn has produced some absolute shockers of performances at times this season (the Wolves match springs to mind) for which it was perfectly justifiable to criticise him. He might "give it his all" but that doesn't excuse basic mistakes and poor positioning, he's a Premier League level footballer not an 8 year old in a school team.

He is a premier league footballer, yes. Dan Burn is a premier league footballer, part of a defence that's kept clean sheets against Leeds, Spurs and Liverpool. Well done lad.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting that Klopp specifically talked about how we sometimes went longer to BDB, profiting from the second ball, and how they couldn't cope. Great tactics from GP, and all-round great performance from Burn. Incredible how often he popped up in the Liverpool penalty area.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ah right.

Only, that doesn't really fit with: 'Journalists may never know what sort of answers they might get... but everyone else knows. Journalists are vultures and know a lot about kicking someone who is already down, getting people to speak freely and enjoying a good conversation/QA is not really their thing,', does it?

Nope, it doesnt. I must admit that once or twice every month I hear a journalist saying or asking something useful. Every once in a while I even find a journo that I might find generally interesting. Maybe Naylor is one of those, I havent paid too much attention to him. But generally speaking journalists are cold, unimaginative, sadistic creatures, I've met a lot of them and find most of them utterly repulsive. I sometimes quote HST on this subject, because its spot on:

“The press is a gang of cruel ******s. Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for ****offs and misfits—a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and ********** like a chimp in a zoo-cage.”

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
From the Fulham boards. Never realised he played 9 Premier league games for them.

Feel the Burn

Why did we let Dan Burn go? He's storming it consistently for B&HA. Couldn't we see or help him realise his potential? Not sure what's happened to the 'pipeline of talent' - struggling to think of anyone in recent years, bar Dembele (the second), who has powered on to reach any footballing heights. Recruitment has largely been poor over the last 6 or 7 years. My take is that there is a systemic weakness within our club that's not being addressed and, until it is, we're not going to see any sustained progress.

Excelllent post. Too true FFC should never have let Dan Burn go.

watched the Brighton game after. They were brilliant. Is Dan Burn the tallest ever to play at left back? Not renowned for his pace as ever, as well as setting up the goal, he gave everything as the whole team did. What is different with Brighton to us? I think our squad is on a par. Other than the own goal up at Newcastle why don't we score scruffy goals like their winner last night?

All good questions. On MOTD they quoted him as being the LWB! Who would have thought Dan Burn a wing back?! He got an assist but also missed a sitter

Well done Dan Burn deserves everything he gets. Gave him a free looks like he will be playing in a different division to us next season.

Yes i have always liked Dan Burn and it looks as though he is having the last laugh and good luck to him, Brighton obviously have more faith in him than Fulham had.

Well done Dan, wish you were with us but difficult to imagine you playing at left back

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
BDB is definitely approaching cult hero status!
Just need a vital goal. Or a worldie. He's got it in him.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have never been so disrespected in all my days. Just because he's beaten Mourinho, Klopp and Bielsa he thinks he knows something about football, but he's WRONG.

I've won the Champions League four times in a row on Football Manager and have a full set of Panini 2016 stickers so stick that in your pipe Mr So Called Graham POOPER (see what I did there!!!)

Dean Wilkins (Drool!) never spoke about the fans like that because he is a PROFESSIONAL.

One final question for Mr POOPER, have you ever taken the Albion to 7th (SEVENTH!!!!) in League One? Thought not, so off you go.

Pooper OUT
Barber OUT
Bloom OUT
Knight OUT OUT OUT
Dean Wilkins (GURGLE) Blue and White Army. :albion:

Piss off, Someone

Bravo NSC has a new autocorrect :clap:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I was going to mention that Dan Burn initiated the build up to the goal, with an excellent pass into the middle. He then made it up to the far post to deliver a cushioned header in the right spot for either of Alzate or Trossard to score. You couldn't have asked for any more. Yes he missed a sitter earlier, but he was in the right place to miss it, if you see what I mean....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
very much this. for a giant of a man, his touch and skill with the ball at his feet is very impressive. shame he cant shoot!! :moo:

This. Loveable gangling giant of a man. Not a bad bone in his body. Will always give of his best, for better or - far more frequently - worse. Still, there's no knocking BDB's enthusiasm for the cause. Nor his galloping forward. And no NOT knocking his absurd lack of finishing prowess. But somehow it all came together last night when it most mattered. BDB? What an absolute CULT! :lolol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
"A bit of an out-ball higher up the pitch"

Good response from Potter.

I love the way he supports & protects his squad - it's no wonder they want to play for him. The anti-Mourinho basically.

I also noticed that Klopp after the game was going on about learning from the game... where have I heard that before? :lolol:

[emoji106]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Very guilty myself of slagging Dan off although thankfully only my dog suffers this and as a result of GP’s comments I’ve taken a long hard look at myself and going forward will not embroil myself in any nasty business towards Dan who is a great servant to the club and a professional that many should aspire too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And fair play to Naylor regarding asking about Potter’s thinking. Good question and a very interesting response.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very guilty myself of slagging Dan off although thankfully only my dog suffers this and as a result of GP’s comments I’ve taken a long hard look at myself and going forward will not embroil myself in any nasty business towards Dan who is a great servant to the club and a professional that many should aspire too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will you be extending this new found consideration to all topics? :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There's a lovely image for Dan's scrapbook on the Experimental361 timeline for last night's game: https://experimental361.com/2021/02/03/premier-league-timelines-2-4-feb-2021/

Nestled between Salah and Firmino, there's BDB in the top players by Xg. I like to think of his grandkids finding that in years to come and asking about the time he made the goal that beat Liverpool, only for him to shrug and just get on with stuff like he seems to do whenever we score.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here