Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] GP: I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
"A bit of an out-ball higher up the pitch"

Good response from Potter.

I love the way he supports & protects his squad - it's no wonder they want to play for him. The anti-Mourinho basically.

I also noticed that Klopp after the game was going on about learning from the game... where have I heard that before? :lolol:

....this can’t be true ..some ‘fans’ wanted someone like Big Sam who they felt could inspire the players and give better pre and post match interviews....so how’s he doing at the other Albion...oh dear

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Thought this was worthy of its own thread... GP at the post game press conference yesterday, talking about BDB:

"I thought his performance was incredible. He gave everything, as he always does - wherever you ask him to play, he does his best. He just works so hard for the team. Like you said, we lost Joel so we had to think of a way to attack and felt that we could use Dan in the back post area and get him a bit higher up because sometimes you need to go over their pressure. Its not so easy to play through all the time and then Dan gives you a bit of an ? higher up the pitch. And then we just move - Solly actually likes playing on the right side - so we could use him there to maybe test Robertson on the inside and also combine with Pascal, so that was the thinking. If we would have got beat I would have been criticised for doing something, I'm sure, so... tonight's my night I guess.

I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football, ultimately. And so... I wouldn't listen to them, its just irrelevant to me. because Dan Burn just gives his best every day and he's played at the highest level. He's a fantastic example of what a top athlete should be, it doesnt go well every day, but he recovers, he fights, fights for the team - he is everything you want from a professional footballer so... just let the "experts" talk."

(7:30 onwards)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ1nyzqetzk

As someone who has criticised him I think that is a little harsh but I obviously don't know any near as much as GP and I'm happy to bow to his superior knowledge. My concern with Burn has always been his tendency to make errors however I'm more than happy to have been proved wrong. I thought he played really well yesterday and I hope he continues to do so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
almost having a pop at fans again.

Given some of the idiotic comments he’s entitled to. I have always been of the view that most sensible supporters are on his side, unfortunately the minority can be quite loud.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
almost having a pop at fans again.

Don't make me go back to the fence Graham lol

What isn’t in the original post is a question by the reporter just before the bit in bold...who suggests the criticism bit...that to me gives the reply a slightly different tone

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To me, this shows the difference between a manager's mindset and the typical "fan". Potter has kept this group of players believing in themselves throughout a very challenging 2020 (results-wise) and it's clear he backs them publicly and privately. Burn has been a real success story overall: 48 games for us at the top level and only 2 real stinkers is a hell of a lot better than some.

I think this is a reaction as much as to Connolly as it is Burn, a real: "FFS, just back the players rather than celebrating Burn's exclusion from the 11 on every team announcement"

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
That can't be true, there were many ITK on here saying he has lost the dressing room and the players weren't playing for him a few weeks ago

I was one who 'thought' he had lost the dressing room based on what I saw ( nothing about ITK) in some players actions and that was Maupay in particular . Whatever you say something was not right we now have a team which is playing for each other rather than just playing well. Maybe I am wrong cause I am not ITK .

Maybe it's as simple as confidence has improved and continues to improve as we get better results.

Regards BDB always liked his energy and passion rather than his skill (right attitude always wins out) he also seemed to lose it, not just the Wolves game but some rash tackles in dangerous areas in other games but quite clearly he has bounced back from that day. He's not a great technical player but last night he did some simple things very , very well. He played a good part in the goal , not just the header but one if not two passes earlier in the build up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m happy to hold my hand up, as one who has previously commented negatively on Burn’s deployment anywhere other than on the left of the 3 CBs (he’s fine there).

That said, I’ve never, ever criticised his effort levels or honest endeavour, so do not feel that Potter’s comments are in any way a ‘dig’ at me (or anyone who has shared the same concerns).

The journo, asking the Dan Burn (and March, Pröpper) questions, is Andy Naylor.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thought this was worthy of its own thread... GP at the post game press conference yesterday, talking about BDB:

"I thought his performance was incredible. He gave everything, as he always does - wherever you ask him to play, he does his best. He just works so hard for the team. Like you said, we lost Joel so we had to think of a way to attack and felt that we could use Dan in the back post area and get him a bit higher up because sometimes you need to go over their pressure. Its not so easy to play through all the time and then Dan gives you a bit of an ? higher up the pitch. And then we just move - Solly actually likes playing on the right side - so we could use him there to maybe test Robertson on the inside and also combine with Pascal, so that was the thinking. If we would have got beat I would have been criticised for doing something, I'm sure, so... tonight's my night I guess.

I think that anyone who criticises someone like Dan Burn doesn't understand football, ultimately. And so... I wouldn't listen to them, its just irrelevant to me. because Dan Burn just gives his best every day and he's played at the highest level. He's a fantastic example of what a top athlete should be, it doesnt go well every day, but he recovers, he fights, fights for the team - he is everything you want from a professional footballer so... just let the "experts" talk."

Presumably, given your previous comments about press conferences, you knew exactly what answer you'd get from that question from the 'vulture' journalist?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Am not a Burn fan but as Potter rightly said it was his night with decisions made. Those of us who try and guess Potters selections it will be interesting to see who selected Burn as a wingback. Not many I would guess but several had him at CB replacing White. I thought Burn had such a poor first 20 mins that I even could see March going back over to that side. As game progressed especially after we scored Liverpool pushed forward and left lots of space on Burns side. His awareness and use of these areas was outstanding on the night and congratulations to him. Because of fantstic work rate of so many players so many including Webster.Alzate and Bissouma helped out in defence in this area

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
"If we would have got beat I would have been criticised for doing something, I'm sure, so... tonight's my night I guess."

Indeed it was, Graham.

Indeed it was.

:)

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Presumably, given your previous comments about press conferences, you knew exactly what answer you'd get from that question from the 'vulture' journalist?

No, it was a decent question, pretty specific. I do know the answers to far more common questions like "you must be pleased with winning the game?" and "would you like to win the next game?" though.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be fair, Burn has produced some absolute shockers of performances at times this season (the Wolves match springs to mind) for which it was perfectly justifiable to criticise him. He might "give it his all" but that doesn't excuse basic mistakes and poor positioning, he's a Premier League level footballer not an 8 year old in a school team.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No, it was a decent question, pretty specific. I do know the answers to far more common questions like "you must be pleased with winning the game?" and "would you like to win the next game?" though.

Ah right.

Only, that doesn't really fit with: 'Journalists may never know what sort of answers they might get... but everyone else knows. Journalists are vultures and know a lot about kicking someone who is already down, getting people to speak freely and enjoying a good conversation/QA is not really their thing,', does it?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

He's not wrong.

I also think people who wanted Potter sacked don't understand football but obviously Graham is too modest to say that.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Dan Burn is a player we should all support, he always gives his all, is willing to play wherever he is asked, gets stuck in (but isn’t nasty) and I think is outplaying his natural ability unlike a number of more talented individuals. Yes he has had a couple of bad games but so have other more talented / skilled players especially against pace the likes of Traore has.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
I have never been so disrespected in all my days. Just because he's beaten Mourinho, Klopp and Bielsa he thinks he knows something about football, but he's WRONG.

I've won the Champions League four times in a row on Football Manager and have a full set of Panini 2016 stickers so stick that in your pipe Mr So Called Graham POOPER (see what I did there!!!)

Dean Wilkins (Drool!) never spoke about the fans like that because he is a PROFESSIONAL.

One final question for Mr POOPER, have you ever taken the Albion to 7th (SEVENTH!!!!) in League One? Thought not, so off you go.

Pooper OUT
Barber OUT
Bloom OUT
Knight OUT OUT OUT
Dean Wilkins (GURGLE) Blue and White Army. :albion:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I also think people who wanted Potter sacked don't understand football but obviously Graham is too modest to say that.

So you think people who thought 3 wins in a calendar year and one home win in that time was a poor return "didn't understand football"? You do realise the aim of football by and large is to win matches, right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here