Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government offing £350 a month to host Ukrainian refugees.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Happy clapping everyone, the government are great. It takes time to organise these things, it’s not like we’ve had weeks and weeks of Russia building a presence on the border to organise a response to inevitable refugees. About time we cut this government some slack, they’re really trying their best. Yay. Or something.

Well to be fair, when talking about the £350 today, Gove also announced that the Government wants to use Oligarch's mansions to house Ukrainian refugees and that 300,000 visas had been given to Ukrainian refugees.

Although he admitted that there could be a 'high legal bar' to the Oligarch's mansions thing and when he was questioned on the number of visas issued he admitted it was a mistake and only 3,000 had been issued. So it's not like they aren't trying :shrug:

He didn't say why we hadn't followed everyone else and lifted visa requirements though, which is what my Ukrainian neighbours were hoping for to get their elderly parents in.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Response of the Putin friendly Johnson govt has been dispicable, another example of how far they have dragged this nations reputation into the mud. As to this scheme, suspect if you willing and able to help a family then the money won't be the deciding factor. We are seriously considering it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Happy clapping everyone, the government are great. It takes time to organise these things, it’s not like we’ve had weeks and weeks of Russia building a presence on the border to organise a response to inevitable refugees. About time we cut this government some slack, they’re really trying their best. Yay. Or something.

No, not really. Do as you please. Either take the Government up on the offer or don’t. Or just come on here and moan. I really don’t care. Just pointing out the churlish state of some of the replies on this thread.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I read this today but even before this I was thinking that I might offer to host someone for free.

I am still considering it but I have only 2 concerns.

1. I worry about the language barrier and that they might be better off with someone else who could better communicate with them.

2. My father has been poorly recently and I may need to spend quite a bit of time away from home up in Scotland which might leave them isolated in a foreign country just when they need local support the most

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I think you may have missed the point of basic humanity.

Judging by the way you’re cryarsing about it - £350 May well double your monthly income and you’d get some company what’s not to like.

Jeez, poor blokes only putting this out and everyones jumping down his throat. He's got a valid point:dunky:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I read this today but even before this I was thinking that I might offer to host someone for free.

I am still considering it but I have only 2 concerns.

1. I worry about the language barrier and that they might be better off with someone else who could better communicate with them.

2. My father has been poorly recently and I may need to spend quite a bit of time away from home up in Scotland which might leave them isolated in a foreign country just when they need local support the most

Fair questions. Number 2 probably depends on where you live and the finances of the people staying. Are you able to say in advance exactly what you could and couldn’t offer ? That could include the language skills.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Is it possible the OP has been misinterpreted a bit here? Theres probably a chunk of people who might want to help/take someone in but if the cost of doing so is more than the £350 then they mightnt be able to do it

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
£350 a month………:it’s more than my 24 year old daughter gives me !!!

Feel she could be moving to the summer house in the garden !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Fair questions. Number 2 probably depends on where you live and the finances of the people staying. Are you able to say in advance exactly what you could and couldn’t offer ? That could include the language skills.

I'm not sure. I'm going to look into the logistics of it.

My spare room is small but it has its own bathroom so that's a plus and I live in a city centre so they would have good transport links. Like I said. It's something I would like to do and there is only those 2 things stopping me committing to it immediately.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We are thinking of it but 6 months is quite a time . We were toying with 2 months without payment. We have a relative visiting later in the year so it makes thinks difficult . If they get desperate we will do it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Funny how the human mind works thousands in this country homeless no talk of keeping them safe warm and fed. No one offers up the spare bedroom for them.

The PL also refused clubs the right to wear away kits at home in support of the UK homeless crisis.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Are you able to say in advance exactly what you could and couldn’t offer ? That could include the language skills.

Spoken English to a very basic level of comprehension should be enough, although the Government has acknowledged that will disqualify most people in Liverpool from participating.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Happy to house any Ukrainian family that can comfortably sleep in my spare room. They can have the monthly £350 also
Gifting the monthly £350 directly to the Ukrainian guest(s) hosted is a brilliant idea that I hope will be widely adopted by those that can afford to.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Not defending the OP for one second, though I'm not sure his stance was entirely "what's in it for me"?

I do wonder if this will have been worked out with other government departments. For example, would this money be seen as earnings and affect things like housing benefit, Universal Credit, etc?

I am sure there are plenty of people who, like the OP, might consider offering help, but are concerned how it might affect them financially? Government and its myriad departments dont have a great track record for common sense!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not defending the OP for one second, though I'm not sure his stance was entirely "what's in it for me"?

I do wonder if this will have been worked out with other government departments. For example, would this money be seen as earnings and affect things like housing benefit, Universal Credit, etc?

I am sure there are plenty of people who, like the OP, might consider offering help, but are concerned how it might affect them financially? Government and its myriad departments dont have a great track record for common sense!

Good point, well made. It's probably as well thought through as giving Russian Oligarch's houses to Ukrainian refugees :facepalm:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I could be wrong but I doubt this is aimed at those on housing benefit or universal credit. Surely the potential free space is in the (bigger) houses of the more comfortably off ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here