Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government offing £350 a month to host Ukrainian refugees.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think you may have missed the point of basic humanity.

Judging by the way you’re cryarsing about it - £350 May well double your monthly income and you’d get some company what’s not to like.

Get some company from [MENTION=19792]bomber130[/MENTION]? Haven't they suffered enough?

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
How much do you think that you should be paid?

Maybe the government could have said single people will not have to pay the extra 25% which would apply to their council tax for having another person living in there house. That was the point I was trying to make. I would actually consider it but I would certainly be out of pocket on the £350 which as stated previously given I’m retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I’m not going to host a Ukrainian family. I am also not looking to pick a fight with you.

Me neither but insults came my way when all I did was ask a legitimate question. I do sympathise with what’s happening in the Ukraine it’s horrific.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Old gammon that’s funny. Judging by all the do gooder on here it looks like they will all be living with the majority of NSC. I think people have missed my point. But hey ho that’s nsc users for you.

It’s not compulsory. Don’t do it if you don’t want to.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I must be going mad then as have read it again and to me it appears it’s £350 a month to have them in your house. Can you advise me what I may of missed please.

I don’t think you are the sort of household the government are appealing to. I think anyone doing this will be expected to take a bit of a hit. We have a tiny house and a spare room, but Mrs H and I have talked about it and whether we could do it. I don’t think compensation ever came up when we discussed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Whilst I sympathise for the Ukrainians £350 a month to let them live rent free is a bit of an insult. I live alone which means my council tax would increase. Plus god knows how much my gas/electric/and water usage would also increase. Would any NSC people host for this amount. Discuss.

If I had the space, I'd let them come to mine rent free.
They have nothing, they've been driven out of their homes through no fault of their own, almost certainly lost loved ones as well as everything they've worked for, trekked across the entire width of Europe to get here and your whining about £350 a month!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
good old dog pile. someone expresses a concern, derided without discussing issue raised. surely there are enough willing hosts that payments to host are unnecessary? how well is this thought out or a knee-jerk headline grabber to try and recover some image after poor handling.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Probably a poorly worded opening sentence by the OP but I think we all understand the sentiment. Household bills are going through the roof particularly energy & fuel with food not far behind and no real indication when they will hit the ceiling and what that ceiling level might be.

This govt. has spent billions on Covid in an attempt to keep the hospitality sector (amongst others) afloat and is now asking Joe Public to effectively foot the bill for hosting these refugees with a token payment.

It's hard to see who the target "market" is for the take up. Families with kids and parents either out working all day or trying to WFH? Oldies with perhaps a spare room or 2? Single people with a spare room? I just don't know.

I've read the BBC story and it would make much more sense if it was £350 per person per month if you were to host a family of 3 or 4 it would cost a lot at a time when inflation and costs are spiralling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think a more welcoming and much more simple refugee process is of higher importance.

Quite.

And the OP need not worry abut his poll tax going up because we are letting in so few Ukranians that total bill is likely to be little more than what it would cost to replace Dan Burn.

Gove onto a winner here - appearing super generous and kindly without much financial risk.

Open the borders up, however, and I'd give Gove a little round of applause.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Cryarsing there’s no need for that. My basic point was I could potentially be out of pocket especially as I am retired and things are getting harder financially in this current climate. But thank you for your input.

Wow how badly are you missing the point!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well it wasn’t intended to read that way. So if I have offended anyone I apologise.

Apologies to you, too.

I do think you're worrying needlessly about how this is going to affect you, personally, though.

This is more a 'drop in the ocean' than 'the straw that broke the camel's back'.

(And the latter is almost always a false analogy, unless dealing with phenomena that are binary with an all-or-none threshold; the economy is a graded beast with occasional catastrophes, but the latter are governed by chaos mathematics and the minute we make decisions based on fear of chaos we are dead as a species).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It all seems like yet another pisspoor attempt by Government to try and pretend it’s doing something when in reality it’s doing virtually **** all

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You’d have to wonder what would happen with todays society in WW2. Kids being sent around the country during the Blitz.

‘Well I’m not taking them in, shouldn’t have kids if you can’t look after them’

‘What about the extra utilities they’ll use, how am I going to pay for that’

Etc

Funny old world though, I remember when the building opposite the Thomas A Becket had the serious fire and structurally it was unsafe, locals couldn’t go out of their way any more to be seen to do stuff - house the families, get together toys , toiletries etc.

I won’t be doing this as my circumstances don’t really allow it - but I won’t be walking around today shouting about why I won’t / can’t / shouldn’t [emoji2375]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here