Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gove OUT in cabinet reshuffle

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You must be a union based teacher. All you can offer is an insult. Top work!

Yes, I am a teacher. I am also a member of a Union.

However, your rant was so cliched, so uninformed and so bigoted that I felt it unworthy of response.

In real terms, after having our wages frozen and pension payments increased, our pay has fallen by over 15% when linked to inflation over the last five years.

Your comment about holidays shows a total lack of understanding of teachers' workload. You are obviously one of those who believe that teachers work from 9 to 3.30 and for half the year.

Feminisation? You've lost me on that one.

Your post was deliberately insulting to my profession. It deserved more than the minor 'insult' that I responded with.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On the one hand we have a group of people who are concerned with the education and welfare of a diverse range of children, each with their own needs. This is monitored using uniform standards inconsistently applied by a diverse, unqualified range of inspectors. Though the standards may apply to all schools they are also in a state of flux. I sometime struggle disciplining my seven and three year old in my own home, sometimes struggle with their increasingly weird and difficult questions. The idea of multiplying that effort by 15 while jumping through random, shape shifting obstacles held up by people less qualified than myself is, quite frankly, terrifying. Then, when everyone's in bed they mark some books.

On the other we have a guy who entered his au pair in to the parents' race on school sports day so the family could "win".

I know who I'm backing.....

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Teachers have been moaning at their work and conditions for at least fifty years that I can remember. Nothing will change for them.

This is simply untrue. We are in this job because we care about the opportunities that our children are given. Nearly all the teachers I know are highly motivated, highly skilled and highly respected by parents of the children that they teach.

If Governments introduce policies that are clearly not in the best interests of education, to my mind, then it is my duty to argue against these policies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good.

My week started off well, and just got better.

Yes, I am a teacher. I am also a member of a Union.

However, your rant was so cliched, so uninformed and so bigoted that I felt it unworthy of response.

In real terms, after having our wages frozen and pension payments increased, our pay has fallen by over 15% when linked to inflation over the last five years.

Your comment about holidays shows a total lack of understanding of teachers' workload. You are obviously one of those who believe that teachers work from 9 to 3.30 and for half the year.

Feminisation? You've lost me on that one.

Your post was deliberately insulting to my profession. It deserved more than the minor 'insult' that I responded with.
As a teacher, could you inform me on the reasons why Gove is hated so much. Does he set the pay structure? This is a genuine question. My teacher friends, who also hate him leave me confused on what he is actually doing. My rant may have been a bit daily mail but all I see at my kids local schools is inset days, prep work for the following year being done 2 weeks before break up, our friends doing marking in the first week of summer holiday, 4 wks of holidaying then some planning in the last week of holiday. I get 1 decent holiday, no pay rise at all and get my pension stripped to the bone to subsidise yours. I would not want to be a teacher and understand it is a difficult job, but come on. A damn good salary and one of the best pensions in the public system.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Just spoke to a family member about this who works at a school (and could also be redundant by the end of the week due to cost-cutting) and they said the news was broken during a mid-morning break in the staffroom. Was told the feeling and noise was as if England had won the World Cup. There wasnt any joy about his replacement though, so those in Education will wait and see about them, but they certainly cant do worse than Gove.

The man is an absolute w*nker and many of those in education will be delighted to see the back of him.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The teachers and most other union based workers will never support a tory government.Gove never had a chance and the next education minister will suffer the same. Teachers will only be happy with a 20% pay rise, more holidays and more feminisation of the education system. We get thousands of students with over inflated opinions of themselves, no high end jobs and shed loads of immigrants who are not too proud to pick up a broom and graft. Gove wanted kids to have the education he had. He may or may not have been right but at least he made decisions, not flip flopped like some ministers. Now the kids suffer again. Nice work teachers, your immature name calling and hatred has got results. Very grown up actions!!

Oh dear.

It's hard to put into words just how embarrassingly ignorant that gibberish is; only surpassed in the gibberish stakes by the fact that Uncle C agrees with it. And as we've already ascertained, he doesn't know what he's on about.

Oh dear.

It's hard to put into words just how embarrassingly ignorant that gibberish is; only surpassed in the gibberish stakes by the fact that Uncle C agrees with it. And as we've already ascertained, he doesn't know what he's on about.
Again. I am genuinely interested in the reasons that the teachers hate Gove. From what I gather it is either pay/pensions, old fashioned books, too much work. I would really like to know.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still waiting for you to back up your assertion that the majority of teachers are 'stupid'.

I'm going to go out on a limb and state that 100% of the teachers at my son's school aren't stupid. I'm going to back it up - perhaps a first for NSC - with the evidence that they a) all have degrees b) taught my son to read, write, add up, write creative stories, use a computer, build rocket ships out of stuff and speak more Spanish than I can and c) the teachers' team won the annual PTA pub quiz which I set and I'm definitely not stupid.

It must be the ones in those failing schools. Or more likely complete bollocks.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As a teacher, could you inform me on the reasons why Gove is hated so much. Does he set the pay structure? This is a genuine question. My teacher friends, who also hate him leave me confused on what he is actually doing. My rant may have been a bit daily mail but all I see at my kids local schools is inset days, prep work for the following year being done 2 weeks before break up, our friends doing marking in the first week of summer holiday, 4 wks of holidaying then some planning in the last week of holiday. I get 1 decent holiday, no pay rise at all and get my pension stripped to the bone to subsidise yours. I would not want to be a teacher and understand it is a difficult job, but come on. A damn good salary and one of the best pensions in the public system.

Is this all you think it's about - pay and holidays? Jesus wept. :facepalm:

It's his constant under-mining of the teaching profession; the lowering of standards; the fact that he is happy to have untrained 'teachers' in front of the classroom; he wishes to set the curriculum to a narrow-based set of criteria which will not help attain professional qualifications later; his disregard for professional people who do know what they're doing; his rush to turn schools into academies which don't have to justify their education standards... etc.

Never mind, as an aside, his warmongering behaviour in the Commons at the time of the 'Syria' vote.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I'm going to go out on a limb and state that 100% of the teachers at my son's school aren't stupid. I'm going to back it up - perhaps a first for NSC - with the evidence that they a) all have degrees b) taught my son to read, write, add up, write creative stories, use a computer, build rocket ships out of stuff and speak more Spanish than I can and c) the teachers' team won the annual PTA pub quiz which I set and I'm definitely not stupid.

It must be the ones in those failing schools. Or more likely complete bollocks.

Perhaps it was most of Uncle C's teachers who were 'stupid'.

It would, after all, explain a lot.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The idea of free schools and academies seems to be a mistake. Financial control is handed over to the school, its Head and governors. Already there have been too many cases of mismanagement of these schools. And while I am a Liberal Democrat I still see it as the taxpayers money and there must be greater local authority supervision of schools. Both financially and what is taught. Mr Gove has supported both free schools and academies.

Financial mismanagement is more likely to be picked up in academies than la schools. The controls are far tighter. The way LAs monitor school finance is terrible.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Which school do your kids attend out of interest ?

If anyone is serious about improving education standards, it is probably a good idea, to get the people responsible for delivering the improvements on board. Granted teachers are no different from the rest of us, they don't like change and are liable to resist, but if you don't even try to engage with them on any level, other than via dictate, you are not likely to accomplish much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here