Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer: Dunk should have been POTS

Here's my thoughts.

Dunk, without doubt, was probably the best we had on offer on the pitch all season, even though his form dropped of markedly after January.
Calderon, gives it his all EVERY game, even when being outclassed by the oppo.

HOWEVER, Calderon is still a player even when he's not on the pitch, he is employed by the club as a player so when he does all the Charity work and the effort he puts into AITC he is a Brighton player.

Deserved POTS for me.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It also adds some support to the feeling some fans have that Greer and Calde don't seem to get on. There have been times on the pitch when Greer doesn't seem to want to pass to Inigo.

When that was pointed out to me - it became obvious.

Greer is no captain. Even if he is right - Dunk should have player of the season - the captain should have kept his gob shut.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This has annoyed me a bit this morning.

Greer told The Argus: “If you asked me who was player of the year, no disrespect to Inigo Calderon, but I would have chosen Lewis Dunk because he started the season unbelievably and plus he’s still the top scorer in the team.

“When you look around the country, the top scorers always get player of the year. He’s done great and it’s an achievement on its own to be top scorer as a centre-back.”

Source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/129...een_Albion_s_player_of_the_season/?ref=twtrec

It shows a lack of understanding of the Albion fanbase and just why Calde was voted as Player of the Season, and so comprehensively too.

Besides, if we're trumpeting Dunk for his goalscoring exploits, I note he's only scored twice in his last 29 games which is, quite frankly, rubbish.

I'm afraid l'm with GG on this one, l too thought Dunk should have been voted Playeor of the Season by a country mile, and precisely for the reasons given, a terrific first half of the season, and although his performances tailed off a wee bit, as well as doing his main job of defending comprehensively, he weighed in with a fair few goals too. Come to think of it, two goals in 29 games is a pretty average return for a centre back!

I know fans have a lot of love for Calde, (l'm one of them by the way), he is our longest serving player, gives 100% commitment etc. etc., he is coming to the end of his career, and is at best just an average player now.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Well I voted for Kemy. Baffled personally why no one else did. If anyone should be gutted at not receiving the prize it's him ???

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No need to be annoyed at all. I think you are confusing the Argus' headline "Dunk SHOULD have been player of the season", with Greer's actual quote, which was that "If you asked me who was player of the year, no disrespect to Inigo Calderon, but I would have chosen Lewis Dunk"

He's entitled to his opinion as is everyone else.

This. The bloke is entitled to his opinion.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Calderon didn't win Player of the Season just for his popularity, he won it because he made significant contributions when he played.

The last game against Watford was a good example. We were OK for the first 70 minutes, but we never looked like scoring. Calderon came on and created 3 good opportunities in the last 20 minutes. If we had rescued a point it would have largely been due to him. Also, during that run of three home wins in a row (just before ST renewal time) Calde scored important goals against Leeds and Birmingham. He looked like he desperately wanted to secure those points that ultimately kept us up, more than any other player.

Dunk had a decent season, and I would not have been surprised to see him win, but I still think Calde deserved it more.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
GG is the club captain and for me it would be nice if he thought before opening his mouth and made public statements about fellow team-mates. IC has been voted player of the year by the fans, GG who has had a poor season IMO should be drawing the team together for next season or even the next game as there is still 1 to play and not perhaps cause a rift in the team by making these statements. Over the lenght of this season we've seen a few statements of intent from various players only to see a right cock-up by that player in the following game, so perhaps next season the players might let the football do the talking and not make statements until they produce on the pitch.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Don't get the fuss personally. Greer is entitled to his opinion as is everyone and I can't see how that translates as disrespectful to the fans. I doubt Calde with be too fussed either given his feelings towards the award.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't get the fuss personally. Greer is entitled to his opinion as is everyone and I can't see how that translates as disrespectful to the fans.

I'm sort of with you. As has been pointed out by others, GG having an opinion is absolutely right - why shouldn't he? As to whether the club captain should be voicing that opinion so publicly I'm less fussed about than some others who have posted on this thread.

I guess there is some mischief-making, again as pointed out by others, in how the Argus headline has been translated from what GG actually seems to have said.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
This may upset a few on here, but I do not rate LD at all.
He will have the odd cameo performance but this is shrouded by going a few games where he has a mare.
He is vastly overrated and I would take any decent offer for him like a shot.
To be good you need to be consistent, however unfortunately for him and us, he has far too many below par performances.
Inigo was the right choice for player of the year, Lewis was never in the running for me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Probably not saying anything new, but when has that ever stopped any of us posting on here...

'Player of the season' is open to interpretation. There is no requirement that it be based solely on quality and consistency of performances over the season, ignoring other attributes and activities that a player does for the club over the season. And even taking performances into consideration, Dunk has tailed off, and these awards do tend to be biased towards latter performances.

My gut reaction was similar to at least one of the initial few replies - Greer always seems to be avoiding passing to Calderon if he can at all help it.

I also wondered if perhaps this is meant more as encouragement for Dunk as opposed to questioning the fans' opinion or Calderon's worth.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Quite frankly I've seen milk turn quicker than Dunk.
Said it before and say again,will be disappointed if our regular back four play for the Albion again,old,slow,positionally inept,**** em all off.

With the greatest respect, you're talking absolute shit.

If we're saying our regular back four (I'm happy to be corrected) is Bruno, Greer, Dunk, Bennett then two of them are certainly not old. Admittedly Greer hasn't had the season of his dreams after a very strong start to the campaign but he's still done okayish and Bruno has been reasonably solid throughout. Bennett has been consistently good all year and Dunk only just began to worsen towards the end.

So in short, I'd be very happy to see them play for us once again.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I must add also that for the most part they had a rubbish team in front of them, which certainly contributed to some below-par performances.

With the greatest respect, you're talking absolute shit.

If we're saying our regular back four (I'm happy to be corrected) is Bruno, Greer, Dunk, Bennett then two of them are certainly not old. Admittedly Greer hasn't had the season of his dreams after a very strong start to the campaign but he's still done okayish and Bruno has been reasonably solid throughout. Bennett has been consistently good all year and Dunk only just began to worsen towards the end.

So in short, I'd be very happy to see them play for us once again.

Not one of them top 6 material,if all this PLR,one club, bollox is to be believed then get rid.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the POTS was decided at Christmas there would have been only one consideration Dunk. He dropped off during the last couple of months but was still comparable to Calderon but not as popular as he doesnt smile. Calderon winning was due to popularity and nothing to do with performance or ability.

Feb 14, 2010
Two bald men arguing over a comb is the player of the season award this year. They should have had "worst player of the season award" as they all would have been contenders.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I was pro Calderon as POTS as a comment on the shite season we've had. His commitment on and off field (even as a sub) is commendable, he never gives up and is a hugely positive influence in so many ways.

Greer is a jerk and should never have been captain, this is just another example of why.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Here's my thoughts.

Dunk, without doubt, was probably the best we had on offer on the pitch all season, even though his form dropped of markedly after January.
Calderon, gives it his all EVERY game, even when being outclassed by the oppo.

HOWEVER, Calderon is still a player even when he's not on the pitch, he is employed by the club as a player so when he does all the Charity work and the effort he puts into AITC he is a Brighton player.

Deserved POTS for me.

Completely agree with this. Not interested in what Greer thinks, it was fans choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here