Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Gorbachev dead

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One of the true greats of the twentieth Century.

Contributed greatly to the peaceful demise of all-powerful Communism in the Eastern bloc.

I can remember feeling dreadful seeing pictures of him with his head in his hands when Thatcher and Reagan refused to support him in trying to oversee a peaceful transition to democracy. We havea standing joke in our household “it’s all Thatcher’s fault”. In this case maybe it was. If he had been allowed time, maybe Putin wouldn’t have happened.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Smart man. And all for nothing if the clown Putin is allowed to carry on,

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A great figure in World History, to end the Cold War peacefully (well except for Romania) was unbelievable.

I know it isn't a popular viewpoint but Ronald Reagan had a deal to do with it as well, if only to convince the Russians that the Arms Race would always be won by the USA...

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gorbachev with his guide in St Petersburg.

[Tweet]1564717398154002433[/Tweet]

Straighten your tie, Vladimir.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
One of the true greats of the twentieth Century.

Contributed greatly to the peaceful demise of all-powerful Communism in the Eastern bloc.

I can remember feeling dreadful seeing pictures of him with his head in his hands when Thatcher and Reagan refused to support him in trying to oversee a peaceful transition to democracy. We havea standing joke in our household “it’s all Thatcher’s fault”. In this case maybe it was. If he had been allowed time, maybe Putin wouldn’t have happened.

I take it that you have never read this

Mikhail Gorbachev: the Margaret Thatcher I knew

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Very saddened by this, such a great, great man, all of us who were around in the 80's and 90's owe him a huge debt.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
World peace owes him a huge debt of gratitude.

I was working for a UK Government agency at the time he was introducing Perestroika - he change the face of the cold war.

Pair of strikers you say?
I'm in

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One of those who are admired by oppressive, colonisation-hungry westerners, and less admired elsewhere.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of those who are admired by oppressive, colonisation-hungry westerners, and less admired elsewhere.

Yep. Interesting reading contrasting reports this morning: admired and praised in western Europe; reviled in the eastern half.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Was he in Minder?

He did the Hamlet ad

baldy man.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here