Shopping at via this link helps to support NSC

[Politics] Gorbachev dead

Welcome to North Stand Chat - the biggest and best Brighton & Hove Albion fan site.

Go on - join - you know you want to! (Pssst: you'll get fewer ads too!)

Jan 3, 2012
One of the true greats of the twentieth Century.

Contributed greatly to the peaceful demise of all-powerful Communism in the Eastern bloc.

I can remember feeling dreadful seeing pictures of him with his head in his hands when Thatcher and Reagan refused to support him in trying to oversee a peaceful transition to democracy. We havea standing joke in our household “it’s all Thatcher’s fault”. In this case maybe it was. If he had been allowed time, maybe Putin wouldn’t have happened.

Weststander

Members
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Helped give us all some overall safer and less polarised years, many lives saved from far fewer proxy wars around the globe in the era he kicked off.

Forever grateful.

RIP a great man.

jakarta

Members
May 25, 2007
Sullington
A great figure in World History, to end the Cold War peacefully (well except for Romania) was unbelievable.

I know it isn't a popular viewpoint but Ronald Reagan had a deal to do with it as well, if only to convince the Russians that the Arms Race would always be won by the USA...

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
One of the true greats of the twentieth Century.

Contributed greatly to the peaceful demise of all-powerful Communism in the Eastern bloc.

I can remember feeling dreadful seeing pictures of him with his head in his hands when Thatcher and Reagan refused to support him in trying to oversee a peaceful transition to democracy. We havea standing joke in our household “it’s all Thatcher’s fault”. In this case maybe it was. If he had been allowed time, maybe Putin wouldn’t have happened.

I take it that you have never read this

Mikhail Gorbachev: the Margaret Thatcher I knew

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of those who are admired by oppressive, colonisation-hungry westerners, and less admired elsewhere.

Yep. Interesting reading contrasting reports this morning: admired and praised in western Europe; reviled in the eastern half.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
Was he in Minder?

He did the Hamlet ad

baldy man.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills