Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GoPro Hero+ Camera's - Advice please

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Okay so first thing, how are you going to control the go pro whilst skiing?! Is it really that necessary?

You can wear it on your head. & here is why it's necessary:

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I was looking at getting a new Hero4, but then my MacBook Air struggles with GoPro2 videos, the rendering phase takes ages, the laptop gets really hot and sounds like it's going to fly away. I think it'll melt if I tried to edit a 4k video, and then the uploading time on my 1mb down 512up here in France would take a few days.
I'm going to borrow a new GoPro Hero (the £99 one) and see how it goes. Apart from my GoPro2 melting (bolted it next to the exhaust on my old track car, flames got the better of it) the biggest annoyance was the low light quality. It's okay in the winter in the snow, but in summer on the bike going from light to dark (through trees) it struggles.
I mostly snowboard now, but I found using the 'chesty' mount worked well for skiing as you see the poles and knee action, I find the helmet mounted videos make it look like you're floating.
This is my local: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwKeTEbF2-k
The chesty doesnt quite work snowboarding as your arms get in the way.

Thanks for the tip about 'chesty' I hadn't considered that but it makes perfect sense.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I actually was in exactly the same situation as you are now about a year ago!

I bought the silver and went skiing with it. I can honestly say it is a great investment. You don't need the WiFi control really, i just used to start the recording at the top of my run and stop it at the end. I just edited the footage after to make it look pretty.

The case is a must. It is an expensive bit of kit and whilst it is sturdy, it is not waterproof without thee case so DEFINITELY get that. It will last for ever and protect the lens at the same time.

I also bought a telescopic pole (not branded) but found that it was good to get some shots whilst skiing as well.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that does help very much.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
SJ4000 is a great, cheap alternative. Just Google it.

I've been looking into these SJ4000 devices, for the price they look brilliant. I can't help thinking there must be a downside because they are selling for between £40 and £80 for something not far off the GoPro.

Anyone actually have one that can vouch for them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here