Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Google Nexus 5 [split from new iPad thread]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting stuff. I've heard pretty much all of what you said from various places. It's tempting, but the camera is a real deal breaker for me.

Good review here by the way, love this site: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/5062724/google-nexus-5-review

It's annoying that the review seems to confirm my two concerns that I couldn't yet quantify, but they are, however, a big deal for me...

1. Camera. I have kids. I take a lot of photos. I take most of them with my phone. They need to be good. The iPhone camera opens fast, focuses fast and delivers excellent results.
2. Battery. I use my phone a lot. Too much probably, but that's unlikely to change. I left work with my Nexus fully charged at 4:30pm. I've not used it massively, and five and a half hours later, it's on 18%. That's not good enough.

One thing I do like, but it's not related to the phone directly, is the Google Play Music thing that is their version of Spotify. I've started using my free trial month and it's excellent. Google are doing a lot right.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's annoying that the review seems to confirm my two concerns that I couldn't yet quantify, but they are, however, a big deal for me...

1. Camera. I have kids. I take a lot of photos. I take most of them with my phone. They need to be good. The iPhone camera opens fast, focuses fast and delivers excellent results.
2. Battery. I use my phone a lot. Too much probably, but that's unlikely to change. I left work with my Nexus fully charged at 4:30pm. I've not used it massively, and five and a half hours later, it's on 18%. That's not good enough.

One thing I do like, but it's not related to the phone directly, is the Google Play Music thing that is their version of Spotify. I've started using my free trial month and it's excellent. Google are doing a lot right.

That to me is the beauty of Android. If you want a REALLY good phone, at half the price of an Apple device, this is the one. If you want a better camera or better battery life, yes these are available, one operating system and a myriad of choices.

This review is worth a read, especially the camera section. My experience with the camera in the Nexus 4 is that my shots are either great or total rubbish. On the rubbish shots, I just haven't worked out what is down to my own lack of knowledge and what is the limitation of the camera.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/google-nexus-5_Mobile-Phone_review

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
CameraMX is a good camera app that improves the Nexus 4 camera - so possibly will do likewise for Nexus 5

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton
For a phone, I think the camera and video are ok. I've had my Nexus 5 for a few days now and have had pretty decent results. Sure it has its limitations but for under £300, I can live with them. Below is a video I took with my Nexus 4 (basically the same camera) at Glastonbury this year including 2 sections using the time lapse function, something I've not seen on another camera phone, and I'm pleased with the result. I have to admit I don't like the Hangouts app but have finally worked out how to use it and what to ignore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here