Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye sky!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That is what I intend to do.
Does anyone know if it is as simple as doing nothing, and just losing access to the Sky programs, and the free channels remain available?

Yes it is that simple! Your viewing card automatically converts to a FreeSat card.

Yeah I know all that but still have a very good picture with traditional ariel. Also, like I said, had a mad moment and couldn't stand the site of that rusty piece of crap on my wall. Save a few bob a year as well:cheers:

Fair enough mate. :)

Yep....they do :thumbsup:

Edit: as long as you have a free box / telly that gets free channels that is :)

You don't need a any special box or TV to get the channels - the Sky box does that job. It gives you more channels than Freeview too.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Sky is magnificent, it's not just the top level sports action they put on but the justice they do it with the build up, and thorough analysis.

Years of watching TWO very serious men in suits telling me the sports news triggered something to explode in my head

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm new to Sky due to being previously with O2, and Sky whoring themselves at me.

All I can say about the TV side of things is:-

'It's shithouse'.

Once you take away, all the +1's, HD channels and the rubbish, there's nothing to watch.

Quite how people can justify spends £65+ a month I'll never know.
I certainly won't be keeping Sky beyond 12 months, unless my absolute resistant towards it turns into catnip and I get an equally good deal.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I got rid of sky because it is a rip off. Simple really. Offer little value to me.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes it is that simple! Your viewing card automatically converts to a FreeSat card.

You don't need a card for Freesat , even though it is described as a Freesat From Sky card (FSFS) as all the channels are transmitted free to air. All the card left in the digibox does is keeps the correct regional BBC1 and ITV1 channels to where the card was issued (if you take out the card you will get BBC1 London and ITV1 London as the default channels)

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
£700 a year?? wow - surely all the sports can be streamed online now - though quality not as good and a bit fiddly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sky is magnificent, it's not just the top level sports action they put on but the justice they do it with the build up, and thorough analysis.

Agreed, though I wince a bit about the £90 a month..... Don't even watch that much tele, but I'd HATE not to be able to just stick the cricket on for an hour

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I have a HD subscription and am thinking of ditching Sky after the cheeky ba****ds sent me a letter saying they were giving the premier league an extra £600M and I was going to help pay for it!
Will I still get the free to air HD channels like BBC HD, ITV HD etc?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I have a HD subscription and am thinking of ditching Sky after the cheeky ba****ds sent me a letter saying they were giving the premier league an extra £600M and I was going to help pay for it!
Will I still get the free to air HD channels like BBC HD, ITV HD etc?

The free to air HD channels aren't called that for nothing :wink:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
3 things make the world go round

money - very hard to come by

sex - now that is expensive

sport - £65 a month! it's a give away

yeah,sure,we'll have the kids brigade arrive,tree huggers and strange people who try to strike up conversation with complete strangers

get that ****ing dish back up!!

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove
£700 a year?? wow - surely all the sports can be streamed online now - though quality not as good and a bit fiddly.

That's putting it mildly, big games it's almost impossible to find a good stream, it always freezes just when something exciting is about to happen!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
It's said that you don't miss what you've never had. I don't quite go with that analogy, but I've never had and never will have Sky.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Agreed, though I wince a bit about the £90 a month..... Don't even watch that much tele, but I'd HATE not to be able to just stick the cricket on for an hour

Agreed Mikey. Ashes, The Lions Tour, F1 all on Sky. The missus went away for 3 nights and I spent it watching At the Races rather than A load of Cockneys having an argument. That's not to mention the Peppa Pig channel which keeps the kids quiet. Expensive? Yes but I'd spent a crap load more if I went down the pub to watch the sport that interests me.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I have A BT box, and subscribe to the Sky Sports channels separately, also means we'll get the BT sports channel when it starts shortly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here