Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good Christian Folk: what's your favourite hymn?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Nothing to do with sexual freedom, BTW.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
O for a thousand tongues to sing
Crown him with many crowns
To God be the glory
Praise my soul the king of heaven
Amazing grace

... for starters :)
(that's if you want old skool hymns, of course) :thumbsup:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Great tune, but what the flip does it actually all mean???

Don`t quite know but found this...I agree ... hearing it sung loudly is awesome..

There are many other things yet to be revealed about the Jerusalem Hymn. This song has been around for a long time and has been just as long appreciated. To hear it sung by a choir live really helps to bring out its beauty. Its inspiring lyrics help to motivate and strengthen the soul. The feeling of patriotism begins to flow whenever the song is played. Even if a person is not affiliated with England, they can relate and enjoy the song. The Jerusalem Hymn was written to touch the heart and it has screed to do exactly that. Its effect on people is one of the reasons why it has stayed around for so long.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Abide with me. Thought Emile Sande did a brilliant rendition at the 2012 Olympics.

Brighton_Rose

Up the Albion!
Aug 13, 2011
Withdean Brighton
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, I like Mumford & Son's version of this too and David Crowder Band's. Also like 10,000 Reasons and Great is Thy Faithfulness. Lots of great hymns.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Edward Perronet's "All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name" is my favourite, although I do like Charles Wesley's offerings in general.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is the OP hoping some will vote for 'Onward Christian Soldiers' or 'Fight the Good Fight'

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I can't for the life of me see how anybody could interpret it as being about sexual freedom.

William Blake

[h=3]19TH-CENTURY "FREE LOVE" MOVEMENT[/h]Since his death, William Blake has been claimed by various movements who apply his complex and often elusive use of symbolism and allegory to the issues that concern them.[64] In particular, Blake is sometimes considered (along with Mary Wollstonecraft and her husband William Godwin) a forerunner of the 19th-century "free love" movement, a broad reform tradition starting in the 1820s that held that marriage is slavery, and advocated the removal of all state restrictions on sexual activity such as homosexuality, prostitution, and adultery, culminating in the birth control movement of the early 20th century. Blake scholarship was more focused on this theme in the earlier 20th century than today, although it is still mentioned notably by the Blake scholar Magnus Ankarsjö who moderately challenges this interpretation. The 19th-century "free love" movement was not particularly focused on the idea of multiple partners, but did agree with Wollstonecraft that state-sanctioned marriage was "legal prostitution" and monopolistic in character. It has somewhat more in common with early feminist movements[65](particularly with regard to the writings of Mary Wollstonecraft, whom Blake admired).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Dear Lord and Father of mankind.

Nice tune, and one of the few hymns that I didn't start too high, probably because the range required to sing it isn't very wide.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
William Blake

[h=3]19TH-CENTURY "FREE LOVE" MOVEMENT[/h]Since his death, William Blake has been claimed by various movements who apply his complex and often elusive use of symbolism and allegory to the issues that concern them.[64] In particular, Blake is sometimes considered (along with Mary Wollstonecraft and her husband William Godwin) a forerunner of the 19th-century "free love" movement, a broad reform tradition starting in the 1820s that held that marriage is slavery, and advocated the removal of all state restrictions on sexual activity such as homosexuality, prostitution, and adultery, culminating in the birth control movement of the early 20th century. Blake scholarship was more focused on this theme in the earlier 20th century than today, although it is still mentioned notably by the Blake scholar Magnus Ankarsjö who moderately challenges this interpretation. The 19th-century "free love" movement was not particularly focused on the idea of multiple partners, but did agree with Wollstonecraft that state-sanctioned marriage was "legal prostitution" and monopolistic in character. It has somewhat more in common with early feminist movements[65](particularly with regard to the writings of Mary Wollstonecraft, whom Blake admired).

All the above is pointless bollocks as its a cracking hymn/song ..........you have to be a right window licker to psychoanalyse Jerusalem

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
All the above is pointless bollocks as its a cracking hymn/song ..........you have to be a right window licker to psychoanalyse Jerusalem

Charming. Why think about any song, book, film, art work, tv show in any kind of depth whatsoever eh?

edit: and regarding 'Jerusalem', it always stood out because, as you rightly say, it's a good tune, but also because of it's words. Jerusalem being built here in England, dark satanic mills etc. It's all very interesting, even to a kid who would be bored stiff by hymns generally.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
"Nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever could,
But somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here