Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good bye Mr Cameron

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can anyone confirm whether or not Nicola Sturgeon is an MP?

I haven't seen this information anywhere.

Thanks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
She is leader of a party where the leader of that party might not have a seat in Westminster. Same as Farage. Same as Bennett. Possibly same as Clegg! Added to Sinn Fein whose leader does have a seat but he never uses it, and it's a proper funny situation.

No she's not as she's not running for Westminster.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
She is leader of a party where the leader of that party might not have a seat in Westminster. Same as Farage. Same as Bennett. Possibly same as Clegg! Added to Sinn Fein whose leader does have a seat but he never uses it, and it's a proper funny situation.

But they're all standing for UK Parliament, they've all bought into the process. Sturgeon wants to break up the union and she's not standing for UK Parliament. Charismatic or not, it's a messy farce that's getting out of hand.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Typical over reaction from everyone. I've just been on a few of the major bookies sites and labour's odds are way behind the Tories! Perhaps the op can clarify what odds and where he is talking as I might take the bet!!

You're talking about two differing markets.

Market 1: Most seats - Tories 1/3; Labour 9/4
Market 2: Next PM - Miliband 4/6; Cameron 11/8

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But they're all standing for UK Parliament, they've all bought into the process. Sturgeon wants to break up the union and she's not standing for UK Parliament. Charismatic or not, it's a messy farce that's getting out of hand.

Out of interest, if you wanted to break up the union (or indeed didn't believe in swearing allegiance to the queen) as is your democratic right, how are you supposed to behave then?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
The country badly needs PR but doesn't get it because it suits the two bigger parties over everybody else. AV is an appalling fudge, barely any better than FPTP. Therefore, I think they could easily have forced a referendum on that. Instead we got a complete bodge that nobody wanted and it ensures the issue will remain parked for another generation.

I think the Country needs electoral reform - but not necessarily full blown PR - you lose connection with your local MP that way.

Something like STV would be decent IMO.

There is absolutely no way the Tories would have gone for it, no chance of the junior party in a coalition telling the Tories what to do. I've supported the Libs today, but if PR meant that much to them - they could have downed tools. I guess that AV could have been a 'stepping stone' to PR.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't she? You (and about 10 others) seem very sure. ???

Not only is she NOT a candidate in the 2015 UK Parliament General Election but she has also announced that she - and not Alex Salmond who IS standing for a seat in Westminster - will drive collation and deal talks post-election.

Let's be clear - not only does she want to break up the Union, she also wants to reform UK Parliament itself, from the outside. From the BBC website: "The SNP's leader promised her party would reform the "discredited Westminster system" for ordinary people, wherever they lived in the UK.

Nicola Sturgeon told a gathering of party faithful in Glasgow that a shake-up was needed to bring positive change.

She also said it was time to abolish the House of Lords where members are paid "£300 a day for just showing up".

The woman is dangerous.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not only is she NOT a candidate in the 2015 UK Parliament General Election but she has also announced that she - and not Alex Salmond who IS standing for a seat in Westminster - will drive collation and deal talks post-election.

Let's be clear - not only does she want to break up the Union, she also wants to reform UK Parliament itself, from the outside. From the BBC website: "The SNP's leader promised her party would reform the "discredited Westminster system" for ordinary people, wherever they lived in the UK.

Nicola Sturgeon told a gathering of party faithful in Glasgow that a shake-up was needed to bring positive change.

She also said it was time to abolish the House of Lords where members are paid "£300 a day for just showing up".

The woman is dangerous.
Firstly, absolutely none of what you have just said suggest she is dangerous at all. You sound like the Daily Mail editorial FFS. Secondly, you didn't answer my more pertinent second question - how is the SNP supposed to behave in order to carry out their democratic right? Play cosy establishment politics that won't bring about any real change? Equally, Sinn Fein is a republican party. WTF should they swear allegiance to the queen? That would be utter hypocrisy.

She is a MSP, completely different to an MP at Westminster.
Erm, I know. I was being facetious.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Absolutely none of what you have just said suggest she is dangerous at all.

Erm, I know. I was being facetious.

Nicola Sturgeon is the leader of the party that controls the Scottish Parliament so is not an elected MP in Westminster, yet will simultaneously seek to make an agreement with Labour to influence the Westminster government. In my book that's having two bites of the cherry.

What makes her dangerous is her stated aims of breaking up the Union, getting rid of nuclear weapons from Scotland and getting rid of the House of Lords, thus breaking up our established parliamentary process. Even a majority of the Scottish electorate didn't want the first two on the list and there's a fair chance they wouldn't want to abolish the House of Lords either. If she gets her way Britain will become a weaker more politically unstable country, at a time of global political uncertainty.

This isn't even the tail wagging the dog, it's the flea wagging the tail wagging the dog.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nicola Sturgeon is the leader of the party that controls the Scottish Parliament so is not an elected MP in Westminster, yet will simultaneously seek to make an agreement with Labour to influence the Westminster government. In my book that's having two bites of the cherry.

What makes her dangerous is her stated aims of breaking up the Union, getting rid of nuclear weapons from Scotland and getting rid of the House of Lords, thus breaking up our established parliamentary process. Even a majority of the Scottish electorate didn't want the first two on the list and there's a fair chance they wouldn't want to abolish the House of Lords either. If she gets her way Britain will become a weaker more politically unstable country, at a time of global political uncertainty.

This isn't even the tail wagging the dog, it's the flea wagging the tail wagging the dog.

So to be clear, you think Scotland deciding to become independent is dangerous? You think the Scots asking for Trident to be removed from their land is dangerous? And binning the undemocratic House of Lords (where in 2015, hereditary peers still get to rubber stamp policies made by elected governments) is dangerous?

I think not. Flimsy arguments amounting to little more than scaremongering, IMO.

And you STILL avoid the question. How is the SNP supposed to behave in order to effect real change?

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Is he 4-6 to gain overall majority??...or be party with most MP`s??.....Not sure which would be worse...Ed in power or Ed in power with SNP help.......Still hoping for overall tory majority..not because huge fan of DC or his Party but am convinced that any change will not be good for the country.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I do not want the SNP holding the balance of power. Real difficulty ahead should that (as seems likely) be the case.

Agreed they should have no say in anything to do with the UK as they want to be out of it.All Sturgeons posture about voting for them to stop Cameron is pathetically trying to convince people they are likely to form a coalition with Labour. If that were to happen, the election should be declared null and void, as Labour have stated over and over that this will not happen.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is he 4-6 to gain overall majority??

dont be daft, no one is anywhere near a majority. its simply PM, not even largest party. the mood music is that SNP will support Labour, Liberals wont get in the way, so Miliband will lead a majority government.

until the first contentious bill gets put forward, SNP and Liberals bail and we have another election (what odds for that? i cant see us going the 5 years as it stands)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So to be clear, you think Scotland deciding to become independent is dangerous? You think the Scots asking for Trident to be removed from their land is dangerous? And binning the undemocratic House of Lords (where in 2015, hereditary peers still get to rubber stamp policies made by elected governments) is dangerous?

I think not. Flimsy arguments amounting to little more than scaremongering, IMO.

And you STILL avoid the question. How is the SNP supposed to behave in order to effect real change?

I'm not avoiding any question. The clue's in the name - Scottish. Nationalist. Party. They lost the referendum on independence. Sure, they can do what they want as largest party of their own Parliament but majority of people want the Union, they want to keep the nuclear deterrent and they are content with keeping the House of Lords.

If there is political will to change these things then it would be reflected in the manifestos of the parties fighting the UK general election. But there isn't. There is a limit to how much change the SNP can bring to bear in the UK and they should accept that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here