Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Memories - 1971/72

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I bunked off sixth form college (Horsham Collyers) to watch us lose 3-0 at Notts Forest in the League Cup in 1986/87. Worth every minute just to see my old Forest Boys Secondary School pal Franco Massimo come on as a substitute. Mind you, I got a hell of a bollocking the following day.

Our coach broke down on the way to that match. Did not arrive till half time.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
71-72 - my ultimate Albion supporting season. My last year at Uni. (Liverpool) and I thought nothing of hitching at any time - overnight sometimes. Was at the hugely crowded Bournemouth match (was that the second largest ever Goldstone attendance?) although frankly couldn't see much except when I jumped up! Vivid memories of the Irvine goal at the villa match (it was decades before I saw it again, thanks to the internet, but it was just as I remembered it!) Was at the Rochdale match too - fabulous evening, and oh the hope we had going up to division 2! The late three goals against Torquay was another night I'll remember to - I-0 down with ten minutes to go, winning three one then hitch-hiking back to Liverpool. Oh to be young again!

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
I actually hitched to a couple of matches up north during the mid-eighties. I can kind of see why now, with all these tales of trains and coaches breaking down (every one of them seemingly on their way to Forest). If we're being picky, neither of the two trains which failed to make it to Forest in time during the 78/79 season actually broke down. It was a freight train in front of the pair of them that expired, trapping both the football charters behind it. Either way, it made for a miserable experience for the hundreds involved.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I actually hitched to a couple of matches up north during the mid-eighties. I can kind of see why now, with all these tales of trains and coaches breaking down (every one of them seemingly on their way to Forest). If we're being picky, neither of the two trains which failed to make it to Forest in time during the 78/79 season actually broke down. It was a freight train in front of the pair of them that expired, trapping both the football charters behind it. Either way, it made for a miserable experience for the hundreds involved.

It was a CONSPIRACY by the POLICE to stop the FANS getting there as there was NO room in the ground at Forest for them, as a so called 'JOURNALIST' you should have KNOWN this

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
You're right, I should have. But, in my defence, I was only 10 at the time and hadn't yet passed my exams. Just to make amends, I'll write a book about Nottinghamshire Police corruption in the 70s and they're mishandling specifically of Albion fans.

Can anyone else remember some story about another Albion charter train bound for Nottingham which every time it went over 45 mph the lights went out and the power went off in the buffet car?

You know the more I think about this Nottingham theme, the more I reckon there might be something in this Ernest!

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Father had made me a box to stand on and remember young children passed over the top of crowd to get to front.. At half time were able to just walk round and stand behind other goal. Also went to watch team train in Hove Park. Hard to believe but remember them playing football there using track suit tops as goal posts. Great memories but wouldnt swap for what we have now

macky

Dec 28, 2004
A kiddie called Paddy was killed/ murdered while hitching to that game Anyone remember that ?

Father had made me a box to stand on and remember young children passed over the top of crowd to get to front.. At half time were able to just walk round and stand behind other goal. Also went to watch team train in Hove Park. Hard to believe but remember them playing football there using track suit tops as goal posts. Great memories but wouldnt swap for what we have now

Mullery would take training in hove rec! Would love to swap back to those days!

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
It was at a possibles v probables game in Hove Park during the summer of 76 that Mullery first clapped eyes on Peter Ward. He scored three for the possibles in the first half, got swapped over, then scored three for the probables. "That was it - I knew we had a striker to get us out of the Third Division," Mullery later admitted. If I had a time machine, I'd chose Hove Park that morning over ancient Greece every time.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Thinking back to that forest game , it had already kicked off and around 300 brighton fans filed in on about 10 minutes , at that point the seats i was in and the stand looked jam packed so iv'e no idea where the other 800 or so brighton fans were to be housed if they had of made it .

Jan 30, 2008
Thought around 7k just from memory,someone reckons they counted 74 coaches,great support in any case.
Went up on a coach from Brighton with phil from Lewes ,souless experience put me off coach travel ,got off coach and got confronted by Forest outside turnstile, also got some grief a few years later at forest from haywards heath lads:glare:
regards
DR

macky

Dec 28, 2004
He was a very good friend of mine, think it was hit and run on the A23 if i remember rightly. I went to his funeral.
He was a good kiddie the bloke that did it got away almost scot free

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
71/2 was all action after Christmas.

The home win against Rotherham was an epic for atmosphere. Beamish scored a last minute winner. The Villa game was fractious in the crowd. No segregation.

Spotland was like a slag heap literally, with corrugated iron fencing like a non-league ground. We've even sold a player that year, Lutton to West Ham. Went to Dean Court but I could not see our goal.

71/2 was all action after Christmas.

The home win against Rotherham was an epic for atmosphere. Beamish scored a last minute winner. The Villa game was fractious in the crowd. No segregation.

Spotland was like a slag heap literally, with corrugated iron fencing like a non-league ground. We've even sold a player that year, Lutton to West Ham. Went to Dean Court but I could not see our goal.

Dean court was a bit dodgy that day???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here