[Albion] Goldstone 25

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
BHA 5 v 0 Crawley Town - I've not googled this and someone will no doubt tell me that I am totally wrong - but the crowd was 18,031 - A figure that has stuck in my head for some 30 years because I was in absolute awe to be present in a crowd of that size - I'd never experienced that many people at the Goldstone Ground to that point!! I was only a year or two in to being old enough to attend on my own..

I used to read 90 Minutes magazine back in the early 90's and they always had a feature where they had a Q&A with a referee - One of the questions was what is the best atmosphere that you have ever refereed in and this referee (Mike someone from memory?) answered that this game was the best atmosphere he had ever refereed in... Funny that I can remember that from 30 years back but often forget what it is that I have gone upstairs for!!

I had to organise a kids’ half time penalty shoot out in front of the north stand that day. Awesome!

I do remember the 10-1 win against Wisbech in the cup, followed by 9-1 v Southend a couple of weeks later. Thought we had two Christmases at once.
So many memories of the Goldstone: massive crowd for 4th division title v Southport, Barry Rees last game, Keith Cuss back header v Man City, Norwich cup quarter final with Case knocking them flying, team running out to Rocky theme - it goes on and on. The Amex will never take those memories away.

Last edited:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Rochdale, promotion game in 1972.

My first game. However in those days my Dad worked out that you could get in for free at half time and so most of the games I saw in those days were the second half only!

First full game was the Geoff Sidebottom testimonial a week or so later!

I remembered also a few games we went to in 1972/3, one in particular against Sheffield Wednesday that ended up 3-3. Iirc it was already 0-1 when we got in, but that had somehow passed me buy at aged 7, and I went home having seen the other 5 goals thinking we’d won 3-2. Only when I saw the results in the classified section of the Argus did it dawn on me that it was only 3-3. Why didn’t I just look at the big screen?:rolleyes:

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
15 Jan 1994 Albion 3 AFC Boormuff 3

3-1 down with (i think!) 20 minutes to go.Fozzie and Case geeing up the north stand to make more noise after we made it 2-3

Cannot remember the scorers. Think Nogan might have got equaliser

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I had to organise a kids’ half time penalty shoot out in front of the north stand that day. Awesome!

I do remember the 10-1 win against Wisbech in the cup, followed by 9-1 v Southend a couple of weeks later. Thought we had two Christmases at once.
So many memories of the Goldstone: massive crowd for 4th division title v Southport, Barry Rees last game, Keith Cuss back header v Man City, Norwich cup quarter final with Case knocking them flying, team running out to Rocky theme - it goes on and on. The Amex will never take those memories away.

Do you remember the 3-3 draw with then Champions , Burnley

Apparently one of the best goals ever scored at the old place

By who ,l can't remember?

All a bit vague l know

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
So many incredible memories.

One not mentioned yet: Wardy returning on loan and scoring the winner against Man U. Think it was November 82.

My first memory remains my personal best: glimpsing the bright green turf through the NW turnstiles v Port Vale October 1971. I immediately knew I was besotted and remain so.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Couple of little moments that ticked me

The Pompey fan leading the charge onto the pitch at the FA Cup game in the early 90s who got half way across the pitch then looked behind him and realised he was on his own.

Someone throwing an apple onto the pitch v Derby as some Gabbiadini/ Donkey thing when they had a corner in front of the north stand. The ref picked up the apple, took a bite and tossed rest back into the stand.

I liked the early 90s ... I went to lots of games then.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

All a bit vague l know

By Bob McNicol (a full-back, I believe). It was indeed one of the best goals I can recall seeing at the Goldstone.

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
The promotion winning (from the old Division Three) last game of the season in May 1988 vs. Bristol Rovers. Bremner and Nelson. Brighton are back

Then a quadruple from 1991:

January - 4th Round FA Cup Replay - a 3-2 defeat to reigning Division One Champions Liverpool - and we could have won it (Mike Small had a goal disallowed)

January - Bryan Wade 4 Newcastle 2

May - Dean Wilkins' injury time free kick vs. Ipswich in the last game of the season to get us into the Play Offs. One of my favourite Albion moments - I can still picture the sweet left-footed strike sailing into the top corner beyond a flailing Phil Parks. Bedlam

May - The next game - a thumping 4-1 first leg victory over Millwall. We got 3 goals in 7 minutes in a crazy second half

The pitch invasion and protests in April 1996 (the match v York), and subsequently having to replay the game the week after the final game of the season: an odd daytime, midweek kick off in front of about 2,000 fans. York won, survived and Carlisle were relegated

The Fans United Hartlepool game obviously (February 1997). Plymouth Argyle and Eintracht Frankfurt in the house. Solidarity

And two months later, the last game under floodlights - the crucial (weren't they all?) 1-0 win over Barnet. Gritty (in every respect)

All of these, great times!

My absolute favourite was Deano's freekick in the ipswich game, really thought we'd missed out.

But will always remember the Millwall fan that ran onto the onto the pitch to confront Mike Small as he celebrated, then got a bit closer, thought oh f*ck and ran back to the stand! Big boy was Mickey.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

All a bit vague l know

Ah, before my time as a supporter. I suspect I would have included that game as Burnley were a top, top side at that time.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I hugged Kurt Nogan and touched his hair in a passionate embrace when he ran over to celebrate in front of the North Stand. It's one of my fondest memories.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Beating Cloughie's Forest 1-0 to complete the double

Crazy to think now,that it was just 6 years after he left us!

Amazing what he achieved in that time

Oh what could have been

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
Surprised the Norwich quarter final goal from Jimmy Case hasn’t been mentioned yet!

Electric atmosphere that day that only a cup tie (in those days) could bring.

I also remember a great atmosphere at couple of sell out 33,000 Easter crowds in 77/8 against Charlton and the 78/9 promotion season against Bristol Rovers.

Would also go for the Norwich game. Huge to make the semi final for first time.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
My favourite goal after Storer’s that one. 3-0 down and came back to equalise. Fantastic game. Really wish there was footage of that.

There was footage but the club took it down when we got to the PL. It was in the season review for that year. Chapman’s goal was our second to make it 2-3. The equaliser was from Paul McCarthy immediately after.

Was certainly one of my fav memories there too. The other would be Norwich in the qf of the fa cup. What a day.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
BHA 5 v 0 Crawley Town - I've not googled this and someone will no doubt tell me that I am totally wrong - but the crowd was 18,031 - A figure that has stuck in my head for some 30 years because I was in absolute awe to be present in a crowd of that size - I'd never experienced that many people at the Goldstone Ground to that point!! I was only a year or two in to being old enough to attend on my own..

I used to read 90 Minutes magazine back in the early 90's and they always had a feature where they had a Q&A with a referee - One of the questions was what is the best atmosphere that you have ever refereed in and this referee (Mike someone from memory?) answered that this game was the best atmosphere he had ever refereed in... Funny that I can remember that from 30 years back but often forget what it is that I have gone upstairs for!!

A highlight I refer to often from that game was singing 'You dirty northern B*******!' for most of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports