Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldstone 25

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Man United in the Cup for David Beckham's first ever appearance. Remember again a wonderful evening atmosphere and a closely fought game.

It was his debut for Man Utd, I believe he had been playing for Preston on loan prior to that.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I have a photo of a someone exposing himself on the East Terrace after the last game. Anyone want to own up? It was very funny because it was so small (but it was cold and raining in their defence)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I have a photo of a someone exposing himself on the East Terrace after the last game. Anyone want to own up? It was very funny because it was so small (but it was cold and raining in their defence)

They stripped off entirely if memory serves me right, no one really paid a blind bit of notice.

My favourite was Storerrrrrr Stuart Storerrrrrrrrrrr....

https://youtu.be/N0jrXjCQLXY

followed by the silence that proceeded Terry Conners goal, when we smashed Liverpool for a second season in a row, it is a thing of beauty....
watch from 16:50

https://youtu.be/csSSWim1Cmk

3rd the game that had everything, including a pantomime villain, crowd attack, I drove back to Camden after that on such a high, there was real hope.

https://youtu.be/UsWo6M-1rY8

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
I enjoyed that game when we scored two goals in injury time against Portsmouth. No idea of the year. Also, I seem to remember a goal against Palace which ended a long run of games without scoring. The real joy was the place itself though. Felt like home regardless of opposition or incident. There was something about terraced grounds that can never be replicated in modern stadiums.

Remember the Pompey game well

Night match

Garry Nelson brace into the south stand goal

Late 80's?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Brighton 4-4 Orient, 1997

What a game - had everything. And what a vital point it turned out to be.

For some unknown reason we were in the West stand lower for that, I'm guessing we were on a mission to watch from everywhere we could while we could

imagine that now. Barber would spontaneously combust.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Left field but I'll nominate
England B 1 - 1 Italy B (friendly)
14 November 1989
england team including Nigel Martyn, Dave Beasant, Paul Parker Lee Dixon, Tony Dorigo, Michael Thomas, Tony Adams, Gary Pallister, Dennis Wise, Peter Beagrie, Paul Gascoigne, Steve Bull, David Batty.

& Salvatore (Toto) Schillaci turned out for Italy B, which meant absolutely nothing to me in 1989 but was quite exciting in hindsight, when he went on to win the Golden Boot at Italia 90'!!

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
So many great memories but Fans United is probably my favourite. Drinking in the pub beforehand with all the different colours on show and then crowding into the north stand for the very first time! I was always a chicken run lad.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Valur Gislason. Unlike anything I've ever seen. Looked like an accountant turned up and was just given a game. These were the days when getting a youth player on loan from Arsenal was like signing prime Batistuta.

We took some proper **** players from them over the years. We had Dickov (good), Jon o'Ceurill (good grief), Gavin Hoyte (oof), Graham Barrett, Valur Gislason... A couple of which are candidates for worst Albion player of the generation

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So ,any memories, both good and bad.

The loss in the League Cup on penalties against Gillingham? who had an outfield player in goal after their keeper had been sent off.
In Chapman's own goal in front of the North Stand against Leeds United
The water polo game against Sheffield Wednesday or Bristol Rovers? where it was like watching a Shamu show at Sea World in the front few rows with every sliding tackle near the touch line drowning everyone
The Oldham player scoring from inside the centre circle

Second Half v Walsall 7-0
7-0 v Charlton, should have been double figures but Michael Ring brought on, and went on to a miss a couple of easy chances
Palace not winning a league game at the Goldstone after 1963

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
BHA 5 v 0 Crawley Town - I've not googled this and someone will no doubt tell me that I am totally wrong - but the crowd was 18,031 - A figure that has stuck in my head for some 30 years because I was in absolute awe to be present in a crowd of that size - I'd never experienced that many people at the Goldstone Ground to that point!! I was only a year or two in to being old enough to attend on my own..

I used to read 90 Minutes magazine back in the early 90's and they always had a feature where they had a Q&A with a referee - One of the questions was what is the best atmosphere that you have ever refereed in and this referee (Mike someone from memory?) answered that this game was the best atmosphere he had ever refereed in... Funny that I can remember that from 30 years back but often forget what it is that I have gone upstairs for!!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
BHA 5 v 0 Crawley Town - I've not googled this and someone will no doubt tell me that I am totally wrong - but the crowd was 18,031 - A figure that has stuck in my head for some 30 years because I was in absolute awe to be present in a crowd of that size - I'd never experienced that many people at the Goldstone Ground to that point!! I was only a year or two in to being old enough to attend on my own..

I used to read 90 Minutes magazine back in the early 90's and they always had a feature where they had a Q&A with a referee - One of the questions was what is the best atmosphere that you have ever refereed in and this referee (Mike someone from memory?) answered that this game was the best atmosphere he had ever refereed in... Funny that I can remember that from 30 years back but often forget what it is that I have gone upstairs for!!

North Stand was shut by the time I arrived

Ended up in the terracing in the west stand

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Watching Frank Worthington warming up with the ball before the game was worth the admission fee on its own.

Football League review inside the programme to read.

Also I'm sure you could pay something like 50p to swap from North to South Stand and vice versa many years back ?????

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For some unknown reason we were in the West stand lower for that, I'm guessing we were on a mission to watch from everywhere we could while we could

imagine that now. Barber would spontaneously combust.

Not only that, and standing watching the game. That would give him a coronary!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Surprised the Norwich quarter final goal from Jimmy Case hasn’t been mentioned yet!

Electric atmosphere that day that only a cup tie (in those days) could bring.

I also remember a great atmosphere at couple of sell out 33,000 Easter crowds in 77/8 against Charlton and the 78/9 promotion season against Bristol Rovers.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That was a strange one. Gulls Eye had the headline Sussex cup final- spot the non league team’ (or something like that). We were in the North bit of the West Terrace so had a direct view of the Crawley fans fighting amongst themselves in the Chicken Run. I think in reality their end was a combustible mix of supporters of various London clubs. I had borrowed my Mum’s Vauxhall Nova and it broke down somewhere near Waterhall and a car full of Crawley fans stopped and one of them was a Vauxhall mechanic so fixed it for us. How’s that for customer service ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Norman Wisdom on the pitch singing his version of Sussex by the Sea in 1965. Have any other groups of supporters ever experienced anything similar?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here