Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gold - Yes or No?

Want Gold

• Yes - He's going to be good for the club!

Votes: 198 90.0%
  • No - He can stick he Gold fingers where the sun don't shine

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Gary Lineker - sitting on the fence

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters

His background is to guide a club with potential and take it to close to european football and stand by that club for 15 years, hard work a fantastic business brain and a love for football.

If were over cautious we will never progress and stuck in falmer in league 1 or 2 with 6k fans...and no money.....

Point taken. But this is NEWS, and newly breaking news at that. Brighton and Hove Albion will be a good investment, and better with each passing day - watch those billionaires getting in line. Sold to the first bidder!
...... oh but wait, right behind him is a retiring Prem manager who always had admiration for our little club..... and there's an ex-player who always wanted to get involved in a club....... too late, already sold to the high-roller working his way up the Fortune 500 one club at a time. and interested in turning his investment around to a Japanese businessman for mega-profit.

Wouldn't you even suggest, or take on board that, of ALL clubs, this one SHOULD be cautious? Anyway - what is "over cautious" exactly? Will a strong investor with our best interests at heart, be quickly deterred?? ???

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I hope it does happen, and we can kick on towards Falmer with brighter prospects in terms of players that we can bring in, and subsequently which league we are in etc

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Point taken. But this is NEWS, and newly breaking news at that. Brighton and Hove Albion will be a good investment, and better with each passing day - watch those billionaires getting in line. Sold to the first bidder!
...... oh but wait, right behind him is a retiring Prem manager who always had admiration for our little club..... and there's an ex-player who always wanted to get involved in a club....... too late, already sold to the high-roller working his way up the Fortune 500 one club at a time. and interested in turning his investment around to a Japanese businessman for mega-profit.

Wouldn't you even suggest, or take on board that, of ALL clubs, this one SHOULD be cautious? Anyway - what is "over cautious" exactly? Will a strong investor with our best interests at heart, be quickly deterred?? ???

Of course we have to keep our options open and just because he lives close and is interested doesnt exactly mean we should put all our eggs in one basket, granted.

But he is the type of character we want, he does have a good football head on him, takes no shi* and isnt foreign and these days imho thats a bonus for chairman not to be.

Regarding the selling of his share to the japanese guy...I do not know the ins and outs of whats gone on or the price of which he is being offered, everyone has their price and I do not believe for one second Gold would sell to anyone and nor would sullivan, they both love the club and certainly wouldnt put the clubs future after building them up into jeopardy for a few million more....just my opinion though.

I agree we should be cautious, but by the sound of it...Dick knight knows the guy and no doubt knows where his intentions lie....in Golds favour is the fact he has made his money when young, invested in a football club...turned them into a bigger club...and stood by them through thick and thin..invested when needed and hasnt in my opinion as a chairman made too many mistakes if you look at his record.

Over-cautious in my opinion is not looking at a prospected buyer/share holder past record,Knight is not stupid and will only go for a tried and tested person...in the case of Gold his football chairman CV is shiny with bells on it...his last 15 years dont lie.....and I for one wouldnt 110% be comfortable...but his money seems clean, hes english, his job at birmingham has been a good one and he doesnt seem to be in it for a quick buck as he doesnt really need it.

Gold gets my vote...but I agree not all eggs in one basket.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He has everything that we want , money, a good business brain and a a local football fan.

With him and his money we could o[pen Falmer with our first game in the Premiersghip

Would DK sell up before we get to Falmer?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
He has everything that we want , money, a good business brain and a a local football fan.

With him and his money we could o[pen Falmer with our first game in the Premiersghip

Would DK sell up before we get to Falmer?

I personally think the prem in 3 years is a bit strong.....but we could definately be in the championship and be realistically challenging for the play-offs..but it is all ifs and but's.

No DK wouldnt sell up and I wouldnt expect him to....but it may be a case that Mr Gold would want a more controlling share as the time goes on and slowly but surely once DK knows the club is in safe hands...ie working alongside the new owner/share holder...then he would sell up.

Anyways it would be madness to sell up before hand...especially with all the hard work thats been put in...I want to be there with DK drinking champagne at falmer on the first day with him still either ni charge or at least on the board.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Will he bring Karen Brady with him - nice lady

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Can't really see any reason why anyone would say no..basically Dick hasn't got a farthing/2 hape'nies to rub 2-gether and Mr Gold is simply loaded ...Dicks done well and all that but we need the MONEY to move onto the next level

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Can't really see any reason why anyone would say no..basically Dick hasn't got a farthing/2 hape'nies to rub 2-gether and Mr Gold is simply loaded ...Dicks done well and all that but we need the MONEY to move onto the next level

Of course DK wont say no.....................unless of course he was control freak.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I personally think the prem in 3 years is a bit strong.....but we could definately be in the championship and be realistically challenging for the play-offs..but it is all ifs and but's.

No .

Promoted this season consolidate in the Championship next, promotion the next.

Make DK Life president and say thank you for what yoiu haver done , exactly whay you said, got us planning permission for Falmer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. He's a man with a proven track record in football and not some johnny-come-lately who's got into football because he thinks it's fashionable. Also whilst some may not approve of elements of his business empire at least he's made his money honestly - unlike certain chairmen.

I think from his point of view it's also a good move. Or targets and expectations are (currently) much lower than Birmingham's and thus it will cost him less. Their fans want them to be challenging for the Champions' League, we just want to be challenging for the Championship.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Of course, what a silly question.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Would everyone be so keen if he wanted overall control like a dictator?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Would everyone be so keen if he wanted overall control like a dictator?
That is a good question. Isn't it in the Articles of the club that one person can't have overall control? If Gold insisted that was removed and he was given overall control, i.e. with 51% or greater of the shares, it does change it a bit. I'd be more than happy for Gold to have control - but what would stop him then from selling to someone else who wasn't so 'good'? Let's be honest - eventually sections of the fans would turn on him because we hadn't won the Champions' League. He'd get pissed off and would want to dump his shareholding onto the first Russian or Far-Eastern 'businessman' who made him a decent offer. We then could be into another 'Archer' situation.

However, maybe I'm just being paranoid. Yes, I'd still want him even if he wanted overall control. I'd like some caveats, but I accept it might be a Faustian pact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here