Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] God save the Queen.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It would be interesting to see a survey of serving and ex service personnel to see which of the following they would vote for, do they:

a) adore the entire Royal Family?
b) admire the Queen but the think the rest are a waste of space and that the civil list should only apply to the monarch?
c) think that royalty is an outmoded institution which has no relevance in the modern world?
d) feel completely indifferent?

None of the above

There is no such thing as the civil list which has been replaced by the Sovereign Grant. It only ever applied to the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.

b) Admire the Queen, and certain senior members of the family but not all. 95% of serving and verterans

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Harry didn't want to be part of the family at all as he hated the press intrusion, which he believes killed his mother. He still has trauma from walking in public, aged just 12, behind his mother's coffin. He was so frightened Prince Philip offered to walk with him. Meghan had a miscarriage a couple of years ago and a photographer leapt out of a shrub to photograph her coming out of the clinic. Who can live with that every day of their lives. That's why he got out but is villified (or rather his wife is) for it.

I'm sorry but I don't think this was really the issue with Harry.

I'm no monarchist but I used to like Harry. Ok, he was a total arse dressing up as a nazi but to be fair he was only following in the footsteps of some of his ancestors. But he came across as down to earth and approachable. I remember seeing him and Wiliam on the Grenfell DIY SOS programme and was struck by the difference in personalities. Harry was down to earth and matey with a twinkle. William just looked totally out of place and uncomfortable. I recall thinking "give me Harry as king anyday". William was, as my dear late dad used to say "about as exciting as yesterday's rice pudding"!

Harry didn't appear to have issues with the press pre- Meghan though. He courted the press condifently and effectively when he set up the excellent Invictus games. And of course, since doing a runner he has courted the US media very effectively and will end up making a mint out of it. And let's not forget that he has been extremely disrespectful to HM in interviews making accusations that he knows she can't respond to.

I called Harry wrong. He just turned out to be as much of a **** as the rest of them. (HM and the Princess Royal excepted)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I'm no monarchist but I used to like Harry. Ok, he was a total arse dressing up as a nazi but to be fair he was only following in the footsteps of some of his ancestors. But he came across as down to earth and approachable. I remember seeing him and Wiliam on the Grenfell DIY SOS programme and was struck by the difference in personalities. Harry was down to earth and matey with a twinkle. William just looked totally out of place and uncomfortable. I recall thinking "give me Harry as king anyday". William was, as my dear late dad used to say "about as exciting as yesterday's rice pudding"!

Harry didn't appear to have issues with the press pre- Meghan though. He courted the press condifently and effectively when he set up the excellent Invictus games. And of course, since doing a runner he has courted the US media very effectively and will end up making a mint out of it. And let's not forget that he has been extremely disrespectful to HM in interviews making accusations that he knows she can't respond to.

I called Harry wrong. He just turned out to be as much of a **** as the rest of them. (HM and the Princess Royal excepted)

People assume he was disrespectful to HM but he didn't ever accuse her of anything, Do you think she would have given permission for Harry's daughter to be called Lillibet (her family's pet name for her as a child) if she was offended? It was confirmed that they'd rung the Queen and asked her.
I think the racist comments came from the Kent side of the family.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

The press and their relationship with the RF is a model that works well for both sides. Any media outlet that gives positive news coverage to the firm is well received and is front of the queue when any press release is issued out. Those that paint and often truer picture are simply stuck off the list. At their height the press needed the RF as much as the family needed them However, as support dwindles for the monarchy we see some outlets willing to to put the boot in.

Interestingly from my time working in the media I remember times when events were covered with almost blanket commentary of 'loyal supporters flocking to get a glimpse of such and such" when in reality only a small number of people attended such event. The media are guilty of bolstering up this weird institution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here