God Save our Queen

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the organisations that flourished both north and south of the border despite the lovely peace loving irish people with no historical anti british chip on their shoulder at all offering no support or succour to them ?
You don't get it do you?

And you never will, as long as you try to fit your version of what happened into a framework where "Britishness" and "Irishness" are represented as national characteristics that are in irreconcilable conflict with each other.

The reason that peace has returned is that most folk, north and south, have been able to discard that view.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
british peoples take on republicans, they arent going to care about bombs in the south especially when the british mainland had the shit bombed out of it for so long, there was probably even an element of satisfaction that the irish were getting some of their own medicine.

Presumably there is also an element of satisfaction at 9/11 given that the majority of the IRA's financial support came from the US, and in particular, New York?

I never had you down as an Al Qu'ieda fan Bushy, but you could rearrange one of those Bangladeshi nappies and put it on as a tribal headdress, whilst puffing on a Fair Trade hookah at a coffee bar.

you would go to billy collisons because its the sort of place that sells overpriced organic produce that has been featured in lentil eater monthly or similar publications.
No. Ever since the young Miss Bracknell stopped working there, the only time I have ever gone to Bill's is when all the tables in Costa have been taken.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Well that's not my recollection of how things were in the seventies, the eighties or the nineties.

At least you've confirmed my opinion that a key element of your argument (and that of all the bigots who have posted on this thread) is that your claim to speak for "British people" is based on nothing but a self-justifying fantasy.

the word 'bigot' is fast becoming meaningless when trotted out by republicans. If by bigot you mean people with a distaste for English children being murdered on our streets, then count me in as one.

If by bigot you mean anyone who doesnt think that Irish republicanism is absolutely fantastic at all times, then count me as one too.

Neither adds up to being a bigot. Cheap meaningless slur, often used by republicans as attack is the best form of defence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You don't get it do you?

And you never will, as long as you try to fit your version of what happened into a framework where "Britishness" and "Irishness" are represented as national characteristics that are in irreconcilable conflict with each other.

The reason that peace has returned is that most folk, north and south, have been able to discard that view.

Tricky one, bushy. You could well be OWNED here :lol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Presumably there is also an element of satisfaction at 9/11 given that the majority of the IRA's financial support came from the US, and in particular, New York?

I never had you down as an Al Qu'ieda fan Bushy, but you could rearrange one of those Bangladeshi nappies and put it on as a tribal headdress, whilst puffing on a Fair Trade hookah at a coffee bar.
el pres,
as i said to someone yesterday , leave the comedy to people who are good at it, much as i admire you , your attempts at being funny really dont work, much as i cross swords with people like herr tubthumper he does in fact come up with the odd comedy gem, best leave it to him eh ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
el pres,
as i said to someone yesterday , leave the comedy to people who are good at it, much as i admire you , your attempts at being funny really dont work, much as i cross swords with people like herr tubthumper he does in fact come up with the odd comedy gem, best leave it to him eh ?

Fair enough Bushy, but how do you respond to my first point in that post, which was that IRA funding came mainly from NYC, and therefore if they were bombed (using your viewpoint) there would be little sympathy for those who died as a result.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
el pres,

I will agree to give up the gags if you agree to give up the capital letters........oh. :thumbsup:

the word 'bigot' is fast becoming meaningless when trotted out by republicans. If by bigot you mean people with a distaste for English children being murdered on our streets, then count me in as one.

If by bigot you mean anyone who doesnt think that Irish republicanism is absolutely fantastic at all times, then count me as one too.

Neither adds up to being a bigot. Cheap meaningless slur, often used by republicans as attack is the best form of defence.
My distaste is for anyone of any age being killed on any street and I'm quite happy to agree that Irish republicanism isn't absolutely fantastic at all times.

Celebrating peace in Northern Ireland (which I do) doesn't make me an Irish republican.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
My distaste is for anyone of any age being killed on any street and I'm quite happy to agree that Irish republicanism isn't absolutely fantastic at all times.

Celebrating peace in Northern Ireland (which I do) doesn't make me an Irish republican.

fair enough mate. I think we are close to sorting this out!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You don't get it do you?

No, you dont get it , if you dont think there was tacit support for the IRA up to ministerial level ( see charles haughey)in the seventies , and especially after the hunger strikes , you are spectacularly uninformed , sure it bagan to pall when it was realised that a miltary victory wasnt going to happen, but it was there , make no mistake

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
No, you dont get it , if you dont think there was tacit support for the IRA up to ministerial level ( see charles haughey)in the seventies , and especially after the hunger strikes , you are spectacularly uninformed , sure it bagan to pall when it was realised that a miltary victory wasnt going to happen, but it was there , make no mistake

or more recently, a certain TD for North Kerry.............

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Fair enough Bushy, but how do you respond to my first point in that post, which was that IRA funding came mainly from NYC, and therefore if they were bombed (using your viewpoint) there would be little sympathy for those who died as a result.
of course not , i'll correct you on one point though, it was boston , not new york that was the major source of funding for the ira, but ok , if you want ,i'll fall into your trap, after 9/11 i heard on more than one occasion people voicing the opinion that "now the bastards know what it's like, perhaps they'll stop sending money to the ira", satisfied ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

There was no support for the provos from even someone as slimy as Charlie H.

Even people as spectacularly thick as the Irish always knew that a military victory would never succeed. Nationalism and terrorism are not the same thing.

I have no problem with you pointing the finger at Charlie Haughey. As for the hunger strikes, I would point my finger at the spectacular miscalculation made by senior British politicians at the time that, once Bobby Sands was dead, everything would go quiet, because the IRA would realise that they had "lost".

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I have no problem with you pointing the finger at Charlie Haughey. As for the hunger strikes, I would point my finger at the spectacular miscalculation made by senior British politicians at the time that, once Bobby Sands was dead, everything would go quiet, because the IRA would realise that they had "lost".
they "miscalculated" a few times then didnt they ?
just as a bit of trivia, did you know that bobby sands is actually buried in warwickshire ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports