Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Simple. 2 is the more likely. If not then you are once again faced with the question that no religious person ever likes to answer. If all things need a first cause and creator then who or what created god?

I answered it, you just didn't like the answer.

Let's try a physical explanation because that's what you want to explain something non-physical.

How about...... God came into being with a Big Bang caused by a singularity caused by.......oh!

Not a good explanation for anything coming into being, is it?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It's surely similar to the chances of winning a lottery. Given that there are 200-400 billion stars in the Milky Way alone, whilst life is not probable in an individual solar system, it is probable given the number of opportunities that exist within the universe.

Sir Fred Hoyle, an astrophysicist, compared the random emergence of the simplest cell to the likelihood that "a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein."

He's not liked very much in some communities.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I used to follow Stockport but after falling out spectacularly with some people up there and also the former club chairman at Stockport - and being threatened with a lible action by the current chairman after I called him a corrupt peer, his name is Lord Peter Snape if you want to google him - I tend to not really 'support' anyone at the moment. But for reasons lost in antiquity, like a drunken encounter with a young lad called Piers one day after a match and knowing Attila and Graham Dagless for decades, I have a soft spot for you lot.

You don't support Brighton!!!

You have made all those posts on a football site and you don't support Brighton!!!

What are you doing on here?

Oh dear

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
Sir Fred Hoyle, an astrophysicist, compared the random emergence of the simplest cell to the likelihood that "a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein."

He's not liked very much in some communities.

He is not liked in rational scientific modern societies because his statement is stupid and demonstrates a huge ignorance. But then again.. we have learned much from the 1950s and if he were alive today he would not say such rubbish.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
I answered it, you just didn't like the answer.

Let's try a physical explanation because that's what you want to explain something non-physical.

How about...... God came into being with a Big Bang caused by a singularity caused by.......oh!

No. But the scientific evidence from the result of the big bang is there for all to see. The evidence for god is less well founded...

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No. But the scientific evidence from the result of the big bang is there for all to see. The evidence for god is less well founded...

Geez, again missing the point.

What is it about scientists that they can pull apart what they believe to be holes in viewpoints that disagree with their own yet ignore their own massive holes.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He is not liked in rational scientific modern societies because his statement is stupid and demonstrates a huge ignorance. But then again.. we have learned much from the 1950s and if he were alive today he would not say such rubbish.

In your opinion which you have just stated as though it is fact. Doh!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
hehehe

Attachments

• imagesCAT3DZ33.jpg
    imagesCAT3DZ33.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 47

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
It's obviously unexplainable, you've got to experience it to understand.

Well Buddha said that he could only point the way.... but in terms of one's feelings, it is well documented that our experience can be false. Our knowledge of the world has evolved via our senses which do not accord with reality. Which is why we cannot see ultra violet light directly. And why we hear 'sounds' via changes of air pressure. It is also well documented that people who 'suffer' from temporal lobe epilepsy have extreme 'religious' and 'profound' experiences and have a direct communication with a God.. or Gods. Doesn't make it a reality, more of a delusion. What experience have you had? (oh and most deluded people think what they experience is reality... )

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No... not my opinion. It is the opinion of the scientific community. Or else show me otherwise. I am quite willing to accept I am wrong.... in fact it is encouraged!! So go ahead... who else today thinks Hoyle is correct?

The scientific community just hates one of their own ever coming out with stuff like this.

Come on, do you really walk around on this wonderful planet and witness the billions of miracles going on around you and not question that can't all be by accident.

I went to Herstmonceux this year and the guy there was talking about eclipses. He said to me "Do you know, the moon is exactly the right distance between us and the sun and exactly the right size to produce a perfect eclipse". I looked at him and thought and I bet you just take that little miracle as yet another coincidence.

This is interesting

THE MIRACLE OF HORMONES - Harun Yahya

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
Geez, again missing the point.

What is it about scientists that they can pull apart what they believe to be holes in viewpoints that disagree with their own yet ignore their own massive holes.

So how come you do not see the hole in your head? Jeez... it is like trying to teach quantum mechanics to sheep...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

much better that the answer is god just willed himself into existance. where did the self come to be willed into existance... oh!

this point of existance is beyond both science and theology.

What is the question to the problem of evil?

well its been well covered earlier but just for you: if God is all powerfull, all knowing and benevolent, how why does he allow evil, manifest as war, famine, disease, suffering, abuse, etc. as an real example, how does he allow a baby to be born with their intestines outside their body, rendering them hospital bound until surgery corrects or they would die.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
No... not my opinion. It is the opinion of the scientific community. Or else show me otherwise. I am quite willing to accept I am wrong.... in fact it is encouraged!! So go ahead... who else today thinks Hoyle is correct?

Most of the scientific community. He had more than 1 thought in his life and was an incredible physicist. Yes, he was wrong about the Big Bang (his term, by the way), but later calculations by him help to show how the universe expands.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
The scientific community just hates one of their own ever coming out with stuff like this.

Come on, do you really walk around on this wonderful planet and witness the billions of miracles going on around you and not question that can't all be by accident.

I went to Herstmonceux this year and the guy there was talking about eclipses. He said to me "Do you know, the moon is exactly the right distance between us and the sun and exactly the right size to produce a perfect eclipse". I looked at him and thought and I bet you just take that little miracle as yet another coincidence.

This is interesting

Far too much mystery for it to be purely accidental/coincidence.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

How is that a miracle? It's a coincidence, and has no consequence.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.

This is interesting

I can witness billions of miracles every day!... but why are these by accident? Or do you mean by chance? Flip a coin an infinite number of times and you will get an infinite sequence of heads! This may seem a miracle to you but to a mathematician it is an obvious occurrence! Happens every time!.... But if, on the other hand, you are too dumb to understand.... it will seem miraculous!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
much better that the answer is god just willed himself into existance. where did the self come to be willed into existance... oh!

this point of existance is beyond both science and theology.

well its been well covered earlier but just for you: if God is all powerfull, all knowing and benevolent, how why does he allow evil, manifest as war, famine, disease, suffering, abuse, etc. as an real example, how does he allow a baby to be born with their intestines outside their body, rendering them hospital bound until surgery corrects or they would die.

OK, the short reply.

We created evil deeds, thoughts etc. There is no such thing as evil per se. It's all another part of the experience called life.

We've touched on this before, you can't have light without dark. Bit like looking at a lit candle in the sun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here