Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

According to this article it wasn't 6 Atheists at all http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8080822/The-Big-Silence-BBC-Two-review.html

"Twice-divorced Jon, 55, was a successful entrepreneur but felt his life was missing something."
"Helen, a 50-year-old former HR director, wanted to reconnect with a lost spirituality."
"Carrie and Trish. “It’s not about what I want, it’s what God wants,”

Hardly confirmed Atheists...

Opps, more lying for jesus from an xtian.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
According to this article it wasn't 6 Atheists at all http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/8080822/The-Big-Silence-BBC-Two-review.html

"Twice-divorced Jon, 55, was a successful entrepreneur but felt his life was missing something."
"Helen, a 50-year-old former HR director, wanted to reconnect with a lost spirituality."
"Carrie and Trish. “It’s not about what I want, it’s what God wants,”

Hardly confirmed Atheists...

They were hardly churchgoers either. My point is they were all far away from god and by doing that retreat (which I'll be doing next year) they found god. So if you sent 6 atheists there I'm sure of the same outcome.

They were hardly churchgoers either. My point is they were all far away from god and by doing that retreat (which I'll be doing next year) they found god. So if you sent 6 atheists there I'm sure of the same outcome.

How can you say they were 'far away from god'. That is just pure invention on your part.

And I would be willing to guarantee that if I gave you 6 atheists (or sent them if you prefer) they would not come to believe in your juju man.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom

HAHA ok mate. The way you explained it had me thinking the program used actual Atheists not people who were seemingly undecided or 'spiritual' or 'missing something'.

Personally i spend a lot of my time in silence or reflecting as i live alone. Never been drawn to God...

It's pretty clear they were 6 people looking for something, some justification of their existence - it's hardly surprising that they found something.

It's not for me, but I hope you enjoy the retreat.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
HAHA ok mate. The way you explained it had me thinking the program used actual Atheists not people who were seemingly undecided or 'spiritual' or 'missing something'.

Personally i spend a lot of my time in silence or reflecting as i live alone. Never been drawn to God...

I think i missed the first 5 mins so, i guess they were agnostics, perhaps?

I used to live alone and reflected alot, but never found god either. Guess i wasn't quite ready. You got to be willing, you can't force someone otherwise it won't work.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
It's pretty clear they were 6 people looking for something, some justification of their existence - it's hardly surprising that they found something.

It's not for me, but I hope you enjoy the retreat.

Ok perhaps your right. Hope you enjoy life regardless. Cheers it's not a decision i've taken lightly (£487 for 8 days aint cheap), but i'm sure it will be worthwhile and beautiful (8 days in the welsh countryside).

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Ok perhaps your right. Hope you enjoy life regardless. Cheers it's not a decision i've taken lightly (£487 for 8 days aint cheap), but i'm sure it will be worthwhile and beautiful (8 days in the welsh countryside).

Best part of £500 to go and find God?

I'm in the wrong business.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think i missed the first 5 mins so, i guess they were agnostics, perhaps?

I used to live alone and reflected alot, but never found god either. Guess i wasn't quite ready. You got to be willing, you can't force someone otherwise it won't work.

Willingness to suspend all rationality? Just how does someone willingly do that? Is it like watching a film, suspending ones disbelief but for a lifetime? What happened in your life to make you want to do that? If you don't mind me asking, and if you haven't already mentioned it.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Willingness to suspend all rationality? Just how does someone willingly do that? Is it like watching a film, suspending ones disbelief but for a lifetime? What happened in your life to make you want to do that? If you don't mind me asking, and if you haven't already mentioned it.

Of course this is going to be ammunition for people like burns. But lets just say I've been humbled enough to want to give it a shot. God is outside of simple logic.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Of course this is going to be ammunition for people like burns. But lets just say I've been humbled enough to want to give it a shot. God is outside of simple logic.
Mr Burns to you. If you won't, oops sorry can't answer my question, please don't take my name in vain.

And I dont need ammo. I just put two of your quotes togeather, and hey presto.... check mate

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It wasn't a serious comment, but there is a point in there somewhere. You believe in what you believe in partly because of where you grew up and the environment you live in. If you had been born in some other places you would believe something different. If there is only one correct religion and only one God, then millions of people are following the wrong religion and believing in the wrong things because of where they happened to be born. So if what you believe is correct, then congratulations, you got lucky. But what if it isn't? What if what Muslims believe is correct? Or Jews? What if Buddism is actually the way?

The whole system is just so ridiculous it's untrue. It doesn't add up. And I am yet to hear a sensible response to this. You think other religions are wrong, yet their followers believe, just as strongly as you do, that you are wrong. So how can you possibly be sure that your way is the right way?
Beautifully sumed in one quote

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Best part of £500 to go and find God?

I'm in the wrong business.
Amazing how finding God costs so much. Or it is? Look at those freaky American preachers, and the Catholic Church.... in fact look at most heads of regilion... hardly hard up for a few bob are they.

And the funny thing is they all love to quote, its harder for a rich man to get into heaven that a camel to pass through the eye of a needle!!! So they are hypocrites as well as con men!! What a lovely thing regilion is! Full of kind mislead people, ruled over by hard core business men with a pretend friend. If you broke it down and took regilous to court by letter of the law, our prision would soon be full of convited fraudsters!!! But its regilion, so its ok!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The whole system is just so ridiculous it's untrue. It doesn't add up. And I am yet to hear a sensible response to this.

It's an interesting point you make and it's one i'm confused about myself. So not really helping you.

Damnit I really thought this was going to be the time.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Beautifully sumed in one quote

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"

I've never heard that before, very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here