Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I did qualify my post by saying I hadn't read through all the pages, so I'm not surprised it has already been covered.

But no, 171 people or 31 people haven't got it right, because the options weren't 'yes there is a God' or ' no there isn't a God', those people have stated that they know for a FACT that there is or isn't a God. They don't. FACT.

As I said earlier in the thread, I, and I'm sure others, realise this is NSC where "FACT!" doesn't actually mean 'fact' in the traditional sense, and voted with this in mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What would you say the odds would be on him having fair hair & blue eyes?
I like his depiction in Madona's Like a Prayer. He could have been black.

Great minds of NSC, why are some of us white? How did we evolve from being black? Someone start a new thread :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
With me in spirit, not something i can have a conversation with.

oh, in spirit. how do you know he's there then, and hasn't popped out for a coffee or to smite someone?

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I've not read anything anyone had posted for a good few pages, but I'd just like to chip in with a story that happened to me the other day.

I was casually walking through Brighton, looking REALLY cool, and this old lady comes up to me and asks if I've heard the good news?
'Good news,' I say 'go on...'
And the retort I get is that if I start praying to Jesus and repenting all that I'd done (I didn't wash my hands after having a piss) then I *MIGHT* not get burned in the inferno of hell.

I told her that I was an atheist and she went absolutely mental. If these are the people that 'God' has chosen to send his message then I suggest he starts recruiting again.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And how many disciples did JC have? Bet you don't know!

First team and substitutes.

Oi ! Do I get reply ? What was his first team ? Paul and Peter in midfield ?

That was Pater Ward and Paul Clark when we went to Spurs.

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
perhaps someone of a religious persuasion could answer a simple question considering that God heals all sorts of ailments from headaches to cancer (according to religious people that is) why is God incapable of healing amputees?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
perhaps someone of a religious persuasion could answer a simple question considering that God heals all sorts of ailments from headaches to cancer (according to religious people that is) why is God incapable of healing amputees?

These things are sent to test us and so on and so on...

They'll have an answer for everything. Science doesn't claim to.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
After all that, you let yourself down immensely.

It wasn't a serious comment, but there is a point in there somewhere. You believe in what you believe in partly because of where you grew up and the environment you live in. If you had been born in some other places you would believe something different. If there is only one correct religion and only one God, then millions of people are following the wrong religion and believing in the wrong things because of where they happened to be born. So if what you believe is correct, then congratulations, you got lucky. But what if it isn't? What if what Muslims believe is correct? Or Jews? What if Buddism is actually the way?

The whole system is just so ridiculous it's untrue. It doesn't add up. And I am yet to hear a sensible response to this. You think other religions are wrong, yet their followers believe, just as strongly as you do, that you are wrong. So how can you possibly be sure that your way is the right way?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
And it's not just opposing religions thinking their way is the right way. You will rarely find 2 Christians or 2 Muslims that believe the same thing or interpret the Bible or Quran in the same way.

Why doesn't every Christian or Catholic believe in the word of the Bible to the letter? For some the Garden of Eden existed as did Adam & Eve and the talking snake but for some it's just a metophor.

Such a load of backwards, medieval bollocks! The sooner society can put religous claptrap behind it and move on the sooner the world will be a better more peaceful and tolerant place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You believe in what you believe in partly because of where you grew up and the environment you live in. If you had been born in some other places you would believe something different. If there is only one correct religion and only one God, then millions of people are following the wrong religion and believing in the wrong things because of where they happened to be born. So if what you believe is correct, then congratulations, you got lucky. But what if it isn't? What if what Muslims believe is correct? Or Jews? What if Buddism is actually the way?

The whole system is just so ridiculous it's untrue. It doesn't add up. And I am yet to hear a sensible response to this. You think other religions are wrong, yet their followers believe, just as strongly as you do, that you are wrong. So how can you possibly be sure that your way is the right way?
This. Particularly the point that your religion is not based on finding god, but based on who is preaching in your town.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This. Particularly the point that your religion is not based on finding god, but based on who is preaching in your town.

Gonna knock down the Church and send the disciples on a 50 mile pilgrimage on worship day.

Can we vote him out and get a new God? Or do we have to invade the pitch?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
It wasn't a serious comment, but there is a point in there somewhere. You believe in what you believe in partly because of where you grew up and the environment you live in. If you had been born in some other places you would believe something different. If there is only one correct religion and only one God, then millions of people are following the wrong religion and believing in the wrong things because of where they happened to be born. So if what you believe is correct, then congratulations, you got lucky. But what if it isn't? What if what Muslims believe is correct? Or Jews? What if Buddism is actually the way?

It's an interesting point you make and it's one i'm confused about myself. So not really helping you. You might want to post your question on a islam/christian forum and see what answers you get from people who know their stuff. But I don't believe only one religion is correct, that would be absurd. I don't think you'll get your answer on NSC though.

I can see the words but what does that actually mean? Where is your spirit located? Is his spirit with me too?
oh, in spirit. how do you know he's there then, and hasn't popped out for a coffee or to smite someone?

The spirit is (supposedly) in all of us. It's just people are so busy and distracted by tv, pc, xbox, iphones and other gadgets that they don't/can't listen. Hence why meditation/deep prayer works. The programme on BBC (called the big silence) around a year ago is a good example of this. 6 atheists ALL found god after 8 days of silent prayer. How can you explain that?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It's an interesting point you make and it's one i'm confused about myself. So not really helping you. You might want to post your question on a islam/christian forum and see what answers you get from people who know their stuff. But I don't believe only one religion is correct, that would be absurd. I don't think you'll get your answer on NSC though.

The spirit is (supposedly) in all of us. It's just people are so busy and distracted by tv, pc, xbox, iphones and other gadgets that they don't/can't listen. Hence why meditation/deep prayer works. The programme on BBC (called the big silence) around a year ago is a good example of this. 6 atheists ALL found god after 8 days of silent prayer. How can you explain that?

If silent prayer meant sitting quiet and relaxing for 8 days it's pretty easily explained. I'm doing it as I write, taking 10 days off. I'm much more relaxed and it's got eff all to do with God or spirits.

The interesting part on this is that I have been reading recently that humans do possess either the same or a similar gene to those possesed by animals like lizards that do have the ability to regenerate. It is just switched off in some animals and not in others. I beleive (but I stand to be corrected) that experiments have been done in which the gene has been 'switched on' in mice and they exhibit regeneration.

No doubt if SCIENCE ever discovers a method of doing this for humans the religitards will just say 'oh god is so wonderful allowing us to discover this', conveniently ignoring the fact that, if he existed, their all knowing and all loving 'god' could have switched the gene on at any time but chose not to because he loves us all so much he wants to make those who lose limbs suffer without them instead of regrowing them.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here