Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
From my point of view, it's not really about believing, it's about explaning death to them. Easier to have them think it'll all be ok, than wake up in the night crying.

Your child is very young and it is difficult to explain death to them. My grandmother died when I was 12, and my mother told me Granny was watching me all the time and was with me. I didn't know Granny very well, but she was terrifying and the thought of her watching everything I did was very disconcerting and upsetting. My own children had pets, fish and hamsters which didn't live very long. Though they were heartbroken when the pets died, they learnt to appreciate that not everyone and everything lasts for ever. When their young cousin died, it was very hard for them to take, and it was easier to say their cousin was with the angels and had become one.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Everyone is born with a conscience, which is where our morality lies.
We are born with the instinct to live and procreate, we're not born with morals. Our morals are based on our society, which is why it's so easy to bring children up with what many of us would consider a lack of morals. Civilisation itself is pretty new for man, we spent most of our time as hunter gatherers, and our morals would have been quite different.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I haven't read this thread and only just had a brief skim of the last couple of pages, but I am astonished to find that 31 people on this board know for a FACT that God exists. Amazing. And 171 know for a FACT that he doesn't exist.

I know for a FACT that 202 people out of the 432 who voted are WRONG.

Spot on, Commander!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Your child is very young and it is difficult to explain death to them. My grandmother died when I was 12, and my mother told me Granny was watching me all the time and was with me. I didn't know Granny very well, but she was terrifying and the thought of her watching everything I did was very disconcerting and upsetting. My own children had pets, fish and hamsters which didn't live very long. Though they were heartbroken when the pets died, they learnt to appreciate that not everyone and everything lasts for ever. When their young cousin died, it was very hard for them to take, and it was easier to say their cousin was with the angels and had become one.
That's my point.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
We are born with the instinct to live and procreate, we're not born with morals. Our morals are based on our society, which is why it's so easy to bring children up with what many of us would consider a lack of morals. Civilisation itself is pretty new for man, we spent most of our time as hunter gatherers, and our morals would have been quite different.

I agree. But do you not accept the existence of the human conscience?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Wow.

okay... your knowledge of Neanderthal man is obviously superior to mine. But, I would have guessed even back then it was in the best interests of Man to be morally good even on a basic level. Otherwise we wouldn't have evolved.

OH! On that note, by bringing up Neanderthal man are you accepting evolution rather than intelligent design??

If you're asking me whether i think a man called adam and a woman called eve suddenly appeared in a garden then the answer is obviously no.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Firstly, we were never Neanderthals. We did not evolve from Neanderthals, just like we didn't evolve from apes, we just have common ancestors. Secondly, the ten commandments are good morals, but killing ete existed before and after them. Good deeds, morals etc, also existed before the ten commandments were made up. But you know that right?

I don't believe human beings were pre-programmed to be moral, moreover it was conditioned. I wouldn't say we're a very moral society even now.

Once we were Neanderthals who didn't think twice about killing each other. So how go from that, to beings with morals. The ten commandments are pretty good morals, don't you think?

I never said they started with 'Christianity'.

You insinuate it pretty heavily. Your argument certainly is that religion is responsible for the establishment of these morals, which I'd say is the wrong way round - religion was used to enforce morals that were already present in society. Which is why, for example, we go along with some of them ('no murder', etc) but leave others ('getting bears to maul people who insult us', etc); our society evolves over time and our 'morals' do similarly. To me the Bible simply represents the 'moral' feelings of the time at which it was written.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If you're asking me whether i think a man called adam and a woman called eve suddenly appeared in a garden then the answer is obviously no.
Another trick of this poster. Answer a question that was never asked. Saves having to answer the one you don't want to, or can't answer. :tosser:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

So are you saying there are lies in the Bible? I thought it was the word of God?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I haven't read this thread and only just had a brief skim of the last couple of pages, but I am astonished to find that 31 people on this board know for a FACT that God exists. Amazing. And 171 know for a FACT that he doesn't exist.

I know for a FACT that 202 people out of the 432 who voted are WRONG.
That's been covered. I think everyone accepts, that it is impossible to prove something that doesn't exist, doesn't exist. We had pages and pages on it earlier on.

But I know for a fact you are wrong:p 171 or 31 people have got it right, unless he/it does and does not exist. Cue Hovergirl..........:lolol:

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
You insinuate it pretty heavily. Your argument certainly is that religion is responsible for the establishment of these morals, which I'd say is the wrong way round - religion was used to enforce morals that were already present in society. Which is why, for example, we go along with some of them ('no murder', etc) but leave others (CHEAT ON OUR WIVES, ROB OUR PARENTS ETC); our society evolves over time and our 'morals' do similarly. To me the Bible simply represents the 'moral' feelings of the time at which it was written.

Christianity started when Christ died in approx 30AD. The ten commandments are way before he existed. And i'm not saying religion gave us our morals either. I believe before there were any of the contemporary religions, that god was at work on us, setting us apart from everything else.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That's been covered. I think everyone accepts, that it is impossible to prove something that doesn't exist, doesn't exist. We had pages and pages on it earlier on.

But I know for a fact you are wrong:p 171 or 31 people have got it right, unless he/it does and does not exist. Cue Hovergirl..........:lolol:

I did qualify my post by saying I hadn't read through all the pages, so I'm not surprised it has already been covered.

But no, 171 people or 31 people haven't got it right, because the options weren't 'yes there is a God' or ' no there isn't a God', those people have stated that they know for a FACT that there is or isn't a God. They don't. FACT.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I did qualify my post by saying I hadn't read through all the pages, so I'm not surprised it has already been covered.

But no, 171 people or 31 people haven't got it right, because the options weren't 'yes there is a God' or ' no there isn't a God', those people have stated that they know for a FACT that there is or isn't a God. They don't. FACT.

I know for a fact he exists, in FACT he's with me right now.

Christianity started when Christ died in approx 30AD. The ten commandments are way before he existed. And i'm not saying religion gave us our morals either. I believe before there were any of the contemporary religions, that god was at work on us, setting us apart from everything else.

Why did you change my 'mauling bears' example? You liked that parable earlier. Your examples are wrong - those are still things which are morally reprehensible to society, my point was that some things that are done/said as being morally correct in the Bible are no longer considered so. One example might be stoning.

Incidentally, I'm glad we agree that morals pre-date religion. That seems a shift from your earlier position that religions dictate morals to us.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Quote Originally Posted by HovaGirl View Post
But do you not accept the existence of the human conscience?

Sure, we have more ability than other animals to have morals.

Obviously. We make rules and punish people when they disobey them, generally, for the good of society.

Do you accept the existence of the human conscience?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here