Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Can someone point me in the direction of the evidence that man ever had psychic abilities and that cats and dogs do have psychic abilities lol. Or come to that, any evidence whatsoever that psychic abilites exist anywhere??

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks. I'll have to think about this one. I've only just discovered TeryConnorism just now and never heard of TerryConnorism before but I've had these beliefs since I was a teenager.

You're not the only one x

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Can someone point me in the direction of the evidence that man ever had psychic abilities and that cats and dogs do have psychic abilities lol. Or come to that, any evidence whatsoever that psychic abilites exist anywhere??
I've had a psychic episode just as describe by the wacky Hovagirl this very morning.

I had a very hot chicken vindaloo last night, and my psychic powers told me my morning dump was going to be a messy stingey one, and would you know it, it was. Amazing! :ohmy:

That explains psychic powers at there height IMHO:p

...... oh, and god wasn't there to help me through it.... shocking:annoyed:

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
It's amazing how people that have lived together for many years or are related can seemingly read each others minds... how can this be explained other than psychic abilities??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's amazing how people that have lived together for many years or are related can seemingly read each others minds... how can this be explained other than psychic abilities??
I will try to explain:
They can't.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
You are confusing science and our knowledge of science. Like you say, there is a much beyond our knowledge and imagination. The fact that there was no scientific explanation why we didn't float off into space just a few hundred years ago didn't mean that the answers were beyond science, they were just beyond our understanding at that time.

Science is knowledge. That's what the word means. Otherwise, I agree with you. But I did say there may well come a time when science can explain the more mystical things which people have claimed have happened. But we won't be here then and until then, we can only speculate and philosophise.

72 pages on God is interesting.

I don't believe in God, but I don't understand why so many people need everyone to believe the same as them. To me this is the cause of so much trouble through the centuries. I have read The God Delusion (well half of it) and although I found it reflected my beliefs I hated the tone of it. It sounded to me like preaching, it took the very worst parts of religion and put an atheist slant on it. I am right and you are all wrong, and if you are all wrong you are stupid/evil/deserve to die (obviously it didn't go this far).

We can all live our lives based on our own belief systems (much of it crosses over anyway) without arguing and fighting over who is right. Surely this kind of harmony would be an indication of a truly enlightened society.

For me this is the best post on the thread. No matter how much either side would like to paint it as such, this isn't about being right or wrong. It's about belief. I don't have a belief in God, or religion, and need some kind of evidence to support such a theory, but that doesn't mean that I need to harangue people that have different beliefs.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Science is knowledge. That's what the word means. Otherwise, I agree with you. But I did say there may well come a time when science can explain the more mystical things which people have claimed have happened. But we won't be here then and until then, we can only speculate and philosophise.

With that statement i can't decide whether you are a God believer or not? That's a typical statement an Atheist would come out with.

Science can now explain what the Sun is and why it's there. Before science found out the reason many believed it could only be there because some all powerful being put it there...

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
That's incorrect. I know what tarot card reading, palm reading, astrology is, and just because I disagree with you about their accuracy does not mean I don't understand what you are saying. You are a spiritual person, and I have no problem with that. It probably gives you a good feeling and sense of peace, and that's (without sarcasm) lucky for you.

Actually, no, I'm not at all a spiritual person. I'm completely practical but I am a thinker and I have studied some philosophy. I went to a philosophy symposium once, entitled: "Determination or Free Will". We spent all morning debating Free Will and came to the conclusion that all humans have Free Will. Then we went off for lunch. When we came back, we spent the afternoon debating whether or not the lives of humans were pre-determined and came to the conclusion, that all humans' lives are pre-determined. One bright spark piped up: "But we are back where we started". "Welcome to the world of philosophy", said the tutor.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
For me this is the best post on the thread. No matter how much either side would like to paint it as such, this isn't about being right or wrong. It's about belief. I don't have a belief in God, or religion, and need some kind of evidence to support such a theory, but that doesn't mean that I need to harangue people that have different beliefs.

Absolutely agree.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
With that statement i can't decide whether you are a God believer or not? That's a typical statement an Atheist would come out with.

Science can now explain what the Sun is and why it's there. Before science found out the reason many believed it could only be there because some all powerful being put it there...

I don't know whether I believe in God or not, to be honest. It depends on what God is. I've already said I'm not religious, so I certainly don't believe in a Biblical God. And as I said earlier, I don't believe in a Creator God, because if there is a God, then God is part of Creation itself. To me, that is the most likely thing, that God is everything that was ever created, including the more spiritual and metaphysical parts of human (and animal) existence, on this planet and on any others.

People are calling me whacky, primarily because I'm standing up for the idea that human existence is divided into at least two parts: the physical and the non-physical. Science can deal with the physical but it cannot accept the existence (if existence there is) of the non-physical. Maybe one day, science will find proof of the existence of the metaphysical and that's all I've been saying.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some of us can read our partner's minds... Identical twins are known to have uncanny bouts of psychic occurrences...our minds are not physical things.
Actually, no, I'm not at all a spiritual person.
Ok, believing in psyhic occurrences and reading minds comes across as a bit spiritual, but if you're not, ok.
We spent all morning debating Free Will and came to the conclusion that all humans have Free Will. Then we went off for lunch. When we came back, we spent the afternoon debating whether or not the lives of humans were pre-determined and came to the conclusion, that all humans' lives are pre-determined.
I realise this is a story, but that makes you sound as if you're easily lead. To be convinced of both free will and pre-detemined fate in one day is impressive. So are you telling that story just for fun, or were you really convinced of two opposing ideas. Were the others in that group also convinced by both arguements?
One bright spark piped up: "But we are back where we started". "Welcome to the world of philosophy", said the tutor.
This story belongs in the pub. In a more serious discussion, I would suggest that the 'bright spark' was a bit slow, and that those calling him a bright spark are in need of care. I don't believe you are in need of care, my point is that your story is just that.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Greyfriars Bobby, and numberless other stories of dogs "knowing" when exactly their masterrs have passed away, often hundreds or thousands of miles distant. THAT is eerie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here