Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Yes it can. The fact that our grasp of science is in its infancy does not mean that science itself cannot explain everything.
That can be explained by science.

Poppycock.
Muppets.
You need to go to school. I'm sorry but you are talking nonsense.

Unbelievable, she made some valid points, and you go and make yourself look stupid.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Yes it can. The fact that our grasp of science is in its infancy does not mean that science itself cannot explain everything.
That can be explained by science.

Poppycock.
Muppets.
You need to go to school. I'm sorry but you are talking nonsense.

One day, when man is far more advanced than he is now, science may well have the answers. For the moment, though, much remains beyond our knowledge or even our imagination. There is even some evidence that man has lost his innate psychic ability, that ability still evident in dogs and cats, for example. Man is so busy looking for proof and evidence, that he totally ignores his own psyche.

In what way is deja-vu explained by science? Or are you referring to Einstein's theory of relativity, where time doesn't actually exist in the way that man comprehends it?

I know many twins who have had psychic experiences with each other. There is even scientific evidence for this, even among twins who were separated at birth, who ended up living almost identical lives. My husband and I seem to read each others' minds all the time. We even have a saying: we are one.

You may think those who believe in hand-reading, Tarot and astrology are muppets. I don't know about Tarot, myself, but I used to read hands and have surprised people with what I could see in their hands. Astrology is just fun, but most people know their star-sign and happily announce it at parties.

You think I'm talking nonsense because you don't understand what I'm saying or what I feel. It is difficult to explain to people who have little sense of anything outside of their own existence and who only rely on the physical but do not question the metaphysical. It's a bit late for me to go to school. I left more than 40 years ago!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Unbelievable, she made some valid points, and you go and make yourself look stupid.
Funny thing about these regilous freaks.
The spu their vile, but when someone asks something they dont like, they tend
to ignore it. The disappear for a while, then came back, still ignoring
something they dont like.
Im sure he'll give an answer soon though. Probably couldn't find an answer by
googleing it, so Derbygulls probably waiting for some other freak to give him
the answer.
Sad, very sad.
May as well ask again as its funny being ignored

Originally Posted by DerbyGull After both of us getting banned you
still want to keep bringing this up?
Do you know when to let something drop?
Obviously not.
I'm no playing your games Burns.

Originally Posted by DerbyGull
And he did create man so great that they could learn skills that would FIX that
baby's problem.

EARLIER IN THE THREAD around page 30

Originally Posted by Mr Burns

So what about the millions of babies that die each year? How does that work with
them getting into heaven..... let me guess, they are taken by default. So what
about a child that dies before reaching double figures? Default again.... where
does it stop? Or do you have to have lived on the earth for X amount of years to
quailify for a place in heaven?
[missing a couple of filler posts] Then...,.

Originally Posted by DerbyGull
You could say they are the lucky ones, though that sounds cruel as they never
had a chance at some of the joys of life, they also never had a chance to do
good or bad. When some one dies we're (christians) supposed to believe its
because god ;took them. And because they never had a chance to commit sin (the
thing that keeps us from being in gods presence (being in heaven) when we die)
then they will go strainght to heaven possibly to be sent back by god to have
another chance.
Mr Burns
So any doctor that FIXES a baby is surely doing the devils work, as God has
called the baby, the "lucky baby" into his kingdom, so anyone preventing that
from happening is working against god, which you have said numerous times,
anyone working against god is doing the devils work.
So by that logic, all doctors must be evil?
Derbygull
Trying to google an answer, or waiting for another freak to help him out

se3eagle

Banned
Aug 30, 2011
one day, when man is far more advanced than he is now, science may well have the answers. For the moment, though, much remains beyond our knowledge or even our imagination. There is even some evidence that man has lost his innate psychic ability, that ability still evident in dogs and cats, for example. Man is so busy looking for proof and evidence, that he totally ignores his own psyche.

In what way is deja-vu explained by science? Or are you referring to einstein's theory of relativity, where time doesn't actually exist in the way that man comprehends it?

I know many twins who have had psychic experiences with each other. There is even scientific evidence for this, even among twins who were separated at birth, who ended up living almost identical lives. My husband and i seem to read each others' minds all the time. We even have a saying: We are one.

You may think those who believe in hand-reading, tarot and astrology are muppets. I don't know about tarot, myself, but i used to read hands and have surprised people with what i could see in their hands. Astrology is just fun, but most people know their star-sign and happily announce it at parties.

You think i'm talking nonsense because you don't understand what i'm saying or what i feel. It is difficult to explain to people who have little sense of anything outside of their own existence and who only rely on the physical but do not question the metaphysical. It's a bit late for me to go to school. I left more than 40 years ago!

see your not all stupid good post

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't think so, but you are as entitled to your views as I am to mine.

of course you dont think so, and maybe i should have elaborated. go back and see how you contradict yourself, claiming "God" is independent of religion then cite the bible (a religious text!) to define "God".

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
of course you dont think so, and maybe i should have elaborated. go back and see how you contradict yourself, claiming "God" is independent of religion then cite the bible (a religious text!) to define "God".

No, I'm not defining God through the Bible. I'm pointing out the similarity between the Bible saying God has no beginning and no end, and that the same applies to the universe. I'm implying that the idea of a god, a concept greater than humanity itself, devolved from the universe itself (to then be hijacked by religion).

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
One day, when man is far more advanced than he is now, science may well have the answers. For the moment, though, much remains beyond our knowledge or even our imagination. There is even some evidence that man has lost his innate psychic ability, that ability still evident in dogs and cats, for example. Man is so busy looking for proof and evidence, that he totally ignores his own psyche.

In what way is deja-vu explained by science? Or are you referring to Einstein's theory of relativity, where time doesn't actually exist in the way that man comprehends it?

I know many twins who have had psychic experiences with each other. There is even scientific evidence for this, even among twins who were separated at birth, who ended up living almost identical lives. My husband and I seem to read each others' minds all the time. We even have a saying: we are one.

You may think those who believe in hand-reading, Tarot and astrology are muppets. I don't know about Tarot, myself, but I used to read hands and have surprised people with what I could see in their hands. Astrology is just fun, but most people know their star-sign and happily announce it at parties.

You think I'm talking nonsense because you don't understand what I'm saying or what I feel. It is difficult to explain to people who have little sense of anything outside of their own existence and who only rely on the physical but do not question the metaphysical. It's a bit late for me to go to school. I left more than 40 years ago!

oh dear.....judging from this.. it will never be too late for you to go back to school.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The sad thing is that all the people who have given their time and money towards their particular deity will only find out that they were wrong on the day they die.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Valid points? Hovagirl said that examples of things not being able to be proved by science were we can read our partner's minds, or that some people believe in palm reading, tarot cards or astrology. How on earth does people believing in these things indicate that science can't explain things? Does it occur to you that these people may be wrong?

If you want to say 'well they may be right' I agree, which is why I didn't vote that I know god doesn't exist for a fact, but just because it's not a fact that god doesn't exists (or that astrology etc is bullshit) is not itself proof that science can't explain everything. Hovagirl says that 'identical twins are known to have uncanny bouts of psychic occurrences' - that's just a story, and there's no evidence that it's real (and having had identical twins I've checked). These are not valid points that science can't explain things.
One day, when man is far more advanced than he is now, science may well have the answers. For the moment, though, much remains beyond our knowledge or even our imagination.
You are confusing science and our knowledge of science. Like you say, there is a much beyond our knowledge and imagination. The fact that there was no scientific explanation why we didn't float off into space just a few hundred years ago didn't mean that the answers were beyond science, they were just beyond our understanding at that time.

There is even some evidence that man has lost his innate psychic ability, that ability still evident in dogs and cats, for example.
No there isn't. Dogs, cats, you name it, do not have psychic ability. They have instincts, like the instinct to eat, but that is not psychic. If you think you have proof they do, let's see it, it's a breakthrough.

In what way is deja-vu explained by science?
From wiki (must be true): 'The most likely explanation of déjà vu isn't that it is an act of "precognition" or "prophecy", but rather that it is an anomaly of memory, giving the false impression that an experience is "being recalled"
I've not looked up how much research there has been done on deja vu, my point is simply that where we don't have the scientific explanation for something doesn't mean there isn't one.

I know many twins who have had psychic experiences with each other.
No you don't. I'm sorry, I don't know how else to put it, their experiences may be described as uncanny, but they are not psychic.
There is even scientific evidence for this, even among twins who were separated at birth, who ended up living almost identical lives.
That is not scientific proof of psychic behaviour. What it is a good indication of is that our genes play a part in the person we turn out to be. You will find there are also twins that have gone on to lead vry different lives too.
My husband and I seem to read each others' minds all the time.
Do you mean to tell me that you and your husband know each other very well? That isn't psychic.

These things are more similar to sod's law. We remember certain things and assume significants when something unusual happens. If I'm watching sky sports, day dreaming about Debbie Harry, then the adverts come on and Debbie Harry is on, I could pretend that was psychic, but it's not. We are always day dreaming about something random, and at some point that random thing is going to come up in conversation or on tv, and it will seem remarkable, but it is just a statistical certainty that sometimes these things happen.

I don't know about Tarot, myself, but I used to read hands and have surprised people with what I could see in their hands.
Just because you've surprised people does not make it real. And if it was real, then there would be an explanation for it (eg, hyperthetically, if our life-line was accurate, scientists may find that the gene that gives us long life also gives us a big crease on our hand). That would not mean that science can't explain everything.
Astrology is just fun, but most people know their star-sign and happily announce it at parties.
Well I agree with you that it is just fun, but you used it as an example that science can't explain everything.
You think I'm talking nonsense because you don't understand what I'm saying or what I feel.
That's incorrect. I know what tarot card reading, palm reading, astrology is, and just because I disagree with you about their accuracy does not mean I don't understand what you are saying. You are a spiritual person, and I have no problem with that. It probably gives you a good feeling and sense of peace, and that's (without sarcasm) lucky for you. My mum believes in god, as did her mum, and my wife believes in spirits (not alcoholic) of some sorts. But you are saying that you know of proof that science doesn't have the answers, which is not true. Scientists don't have all the answers, but that's not the same.
It is difficult to explain to people who have little sense of anything outside of their own existence and who only rely on the physical but do not question the metaphysical.
I do question these things, that is the main trait of someone who is scientifically minded, to question. And sense anything outside of my existence? Don't be silly. The universe is bigger than any human could have imagined, and there is almost certainly life on other plantes, and we are an insignicant spec in the scheme of things. I didn't pretend that the creator made us in his image and create the universe around us (how arrogant).
It's a bit late for me to go to school. I left more than 40 years ago!
I'm aware you are not of school age, I am saying that if you are seriously suggesting your examples are proof that science doesn't know everything, then you ought to study some science.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here