Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
And he did create man so great that they could learn skills that would FIX that baby's problem.

EARLIER IN THE THREAD around page 30
So what about the millions of babies that die each year? How does that work with them getting into heaven..... let me guess, they are taken by default. So what about a child that dies before reaching double figures? Default again.... where does it stop? Or do you have to have lived on the earth for X amount of years to quailify for a place in heaven?
[missing a couple of 'filler posts'] Then...,.

You could say they are the lucky ones, though that sounds cruel as they never had a chance at some of the joys of life, they also never had a chance to do good or bad. When some one dies we're (christians) supposed to believe it's because god 'took them'. And because they never had a chance to commit sin (the thing that keeps us from being in gods presence (being in heaven) when we die) then they will go strainght to heaven possibly to be 'sent back' by god to have another chance.

So any doctor that FIXES a baby is surely doing the devils work, as God has called the baby, the "lucky baby" into his kingdom, so anyone preventing that from happening is working against god, which you have said numerous times, anyone working against god is doing the devils work.

So by that logic, all doctors must be evil?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

So any doctor that FIXES a baby is surely doing the devils work, as God has called the baby, the "lucky baby" into his kingdom, so anyone preventing that from happening is working against god, which you have said numerous times, anyone working against god is doing the devils work.

After both of us getting banned you still want to keep bringing this up?

Do you know when to let something drop?

Obviously not.

I'm no playing your games Burns.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Obviously not.

And he did create man so great that they could learn skills that would FIX that baby's problem.

So what about the millions of babies that die each year? How does that work with them getting into heaven..... let me guess, they are taken by default. So what about a child that dies before reaching double figures? Default again.... where does it stop? Or do you have to have lived on the earth for X amount of years to quailify for a place in heaven?

You could say they are the lucky ones, though that sounds cruel as they never had a chance at some of the joys of life, they also never had a chance to do good or bad. When some one dies we're (christians) supposed to believe it's because god 'took them'. And because they never had a chance to commit sin (the thing that keeps us from being in gods presence (being in heaven) when we die) then they will go strainght to heaven possibly to be 'sent back' by god to have another chance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

from the discussion this evening, DerbyGull doesn't do logic, just has blind faith in an tyrannical god figure who is powerless to prevent suffering.

(he doesnt do christianity very well either, with the suggestion of reincarnation)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

There's only ONE Doctor Evil Monty

3172_Dr_Evil.jpg

This is only a theory of what happened. All will be revealed when we die :)

No you won't. You will be dead and that will be it. Sadly, as there is no afterlife, you will not get to realise you wasted yours worshiping a hateful, bigoted, vengeful, vicious, spiteful and vindictive imaginary friend.

As you believe in a 'loving' god can you tell me something, no other xtian has been willing to address the question - either lying or pretending the question hasn't been asked.

After he sent the two she bears to tear up 42 children for the crime of laughing at a bald man did he let the children so recently ripped to pieces at his behest into heaven? Or, because they (presumably) died unrepentent of the sin of laughing at the bald man are they now also suffereing unending torment in hell?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
No you won't. You will be dead and that will be it. Sadly, as there is no afterlife, you will not get to realise you wasted yours worshiping a hateful, bigoted, vengeful, vicious, spiteful and vindictive imaginary friend.

As you believe in a 'loving' god can you tell me something, no other xtian has been willing to address the question - either lying or pretending the question hasn't been asked.

After he sent the two she bears to tear up 42 children for the crime of laughing at a bald man did he let the children so recently ripped to pieces at his behest into heaven? Or, because they (presumably) died unrepentent of the sin of laughing at the bald man are they now also suffereing unending torment in hell?

For you simpleton:

Question: "Why did the Prophet Elisha curse the “youths” for making fun of his baldness (2 Kings 2:23-24)?"

Answer: There are a few key issues we must understand in regards to this account of the youths cursing Elisha. The text reads, “From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. ‘Go on up, you baldhead!’ they said. ‘Go on up, you baldhead!’ He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.” It seems unbelievable that God would cause two bears to maul a group of children for making fun of a man for being bald.

First, the King James Version has done us a disservice by translated the term as “children.” The Hebrew word can refer to “children,” but rather more specifically means "young men." The NIV, quoted here, uses the word “youths.” Second, the fact that the bears mauled 42 of the youths indicates that there were more than 42 youths involved. This was not a small group of children making fun of a bald man. Rather, it was a large demonstration of young men who assembled for the purpose of mocking a prophet of God. Third, the mocking of “go on up you baldhead,” is more than making fun of baldness. The baldness of Elisha referred to here may be: 1) natural loss of hair; 2) a shaved head denoting his separation to the prophetic office; or more likely, 3) an epithet of scorn and contempt, Elijah not being literally bald. The phrase “go up” likely was a reference to Elijah, Elisha’s mentor, being taken up to Heaven earlier in 2 Kings chapter 2:11-12. These youths were sarcastically taunting and insulting the Lord’s prophet by telling him to repeat Elijah’s translation.

In summary, 2 Kings 2:23-24 is not an account of God mauling young children for making fun of a bald man. Rather, it is a record of an insulting demonstration against God’s prophet by a large group of young men. Because these young people of about 20 years of age or older (the same term is used of Solomon in 1 Kings 3:7) so despised the prophet of the Lord, Elisha called upon the Lord to deal with the rebels as He saw fit. The Lord’s punishment was the mauling of 42 of them by two female bears. The penalty was clearly justified, for to ridicule Elisha was to ridicule the Lord Himself. The seriousness of the crime was indicated by the seriousness of the punishment. The appalling judgment was God’s warning to all who would scorn the prophets of the Lord.

Why did the Prophet Elisha curse the “youths” for making fun of his baldness (2 Kings 2:23-24)?

Of course you could have looked that up yourself rather than try to look smart.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The seriousness of the crime was indicated by the seriousness of the punishment. The appalling judgment was God’s warning to all who would scorn the prophets of the Lord.

not only does this whole defense rely on the version of the bible used being unauthoritive due to translation (so just how many other things are wrong...?), it still makes your god hateful, bigoted, vengeful, vicious, spiteful and vindictive.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
In a nutshell: Like there was a Judas amongst Jesus' disciples, so too was there a Judas amongst God's angels. Lucifer (the devil) was the highest ranking angels, and didn't like God's plan of sending Jesus to earth to atonement for human sin, adopting us (the human race) as his brothers and sisters and elevating us above him. Basically his pride got in the way. And hence why pride is the WORST of the 7 deadly sins.

This is putting it really simple and maybe someone more knowledgeable could put it better than i have.

Did god create the angels and therefore Lucifer as well?
If yes, did he create Lucifer's pride as well?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Merely skimming the surface atm.

I genuinely think you would benefit from reading The God Delusion. It does no harm to challenge your faith, the book certainly gave me (a lapsed Catholic) overwhelming evidence as to the non-existence of a deity.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I genuinely think you would benefit from reading The God Delusion. It does no harm to challenge your faith, the book certainly gave me (a lapsed Catholic) overwhelming evidence as to the non-existence of a deity.

Believe me mate, i'm planning on the God Delusion too, and someone on here mentioned another book on evolution also (I forget the name right now). I have been a lapsed catholic since i left school (so my whole life pretty much), only now am i starting to question/believe etc and learn.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Believe me mate, i'm planning on the God Delusion too, and someone on here mentioned another book on evolution also (I forget the name right now). I have been a lapsed catholic since i left school (so my whole life pretty much), only now am i starting to question/believe etc and learn.

Here's a tip, apart from anything else the Moon is not really made of Green Cheese and sorry, but there's really no Father Christmas.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Don't know, why don't you type it into google?

Originally Posted by DerbyGull

Obviously not.

Originally Posted by Mr Burns

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

Obviously not.

Originally Posted by Mr Burns

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here