GOD: How much do you believe in him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
hmmm, pretty sure there wasn't a third option. this should be simple shouldn't it? to remind you of your earlier assertion:

so who was responsible for this act of nature, the devil or god? or is nature seperate and independent from these two entities?

Assuming one believes in god, then god created nature.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
This man is one of his agents, ask him.

stephen%2Bfry%2B02.jpg

Where did the devil come from? did god create him or was he always here? And is he all bad or just got a bad rep?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
So god created the devil? (was that a smart move?) what didn't he like about god's plan? what is god's plan?

In a nutshell: Like there was a Judas amongst Jesus' disciples, so too was there a Judas amongst God's angels. Lucifer (the devil) was the highest ranking angels, and didn't like God's plan of sending Jesus to earth to atonement for human sin, adopting us (the human race) as his brothers and sisters and elevating us above him. Basically his pride got in the way. And hence why pride is the WORST of the 7 deadly sins.

This is putting it really simple and maybe someone more knowledgeable could put it better than i have.

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
In a nutshell: Like there was a Judas amongst Jesus' disciples, so too was there a Judas amongst God's angels. Lucifer (the devil) was the highest ranking angels, and didn't like God's plan of sending Jesus to earth to atonement for human sin, adopting us (the human race) as his brothers and sisters and elevating us above him. Basically his pride got in the way. And hence why pride is the WORST of the 7 deadly sins.

This is putting it really simple and maybe someone more knowledgeable could put it better than i have.

Did god create the angels and therefore Lucifer as well?
If yes, did he create Lucifer's pride as well?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Something that gives the recipient a brief moment of self gratification vs something that gives the recipient a lifetime of knowing they're helping humanity.

Both are decisions. Both involve the individual having multiple options and picking one. Either God affects our decisions or he doesn't. You can't pick and choose where he draws a line just to suit your own arguments.

What makes you think the doctors made the decision because they wanted to help people? It could have been money, or prestige, very selfish reasons to pursue a career in medicine. It could have been pressure from parents who selfishly want the prestige of a doctor in the family.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Did god create the angels and therefore Lucifer as well?
If yes, did he create Lucifer's pride as well?

God created everything, including giving free will to the angels as well as us. Lucifer chose not to love and serve god but to let his pride get in the way, "better to REIGN in hell, then SERVE in heaven". You can't force someone to love you as god gave us 'free will'.

This is only a theory of what happened. All will be revealed when we die :)

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
God created everything, including giving free will to the angels as well as us. Lucifer chose not to love and serve god but to let his pride get in the way, "better to REIGN in hell, then SERVE in heaven". You can't force someone to love you as god gave us 'free will'.

This is only a theory of what happened. All will be revealed when we die :)

So if god created everything, he is responsible for everything. Why did he not create a perfect universe, with no naughty devil in it? and no Judas? If god was omnipotent I would have expected more from him, or is he just a bit of a rubbish god? (bit like a physio trying to be a football manager?)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Assuming one believes in god, then god created nature.

so we therefore conclude that it is gods work that the baby was born with its bowels out of its body.

what a nice god :nono:

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Both are decisions. Both involve the individual having multiple options and picking one. Either God affects our decisions or he doesn't. You can't pick and choose where he draws a line just to suit your own arguments.

What makes you think the doctors made the decision because they wanted to help people? It could have been money, or prestige, very selfish reasons to pursue a career in medicine. It could have been pressure from parents who selfishly want the prestige of a doctor in the family.

I don't believe that God gets involved on EVERY level of our lives. Like i'll go out in a minute and make a cup of tea. Why would god or the devil be influencing there? That would be crazy! That cup of tea is UNLIKELY to have any bearing on my future. Like i keep saying, we have 'free will' from god.

When it comes to making decisions that are going to effect the person you become in the future and that is going to have an effect on other people, i believe he DOES get involved.

Interesting point regard the doctors and their parents motives. Maybe initially their primary role was money but god wanted them to see that giving someone a life changing operation is far more rewarding for the human spirit than money ever would be.

so we therefore conclude that it is gods work that the baby was born with its bowels out of its body.

I said god created nature, i didn't say he had a hand in it at every level. So man and wife have sex, one of the sperms makes it to egg and voilà god gives it a soul, then science takes over. Not every apple on the apple tree is going to turn out perfect.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I said god created nature, i didn't say he had a hand in it at every level. So man and wife have sex, one of the sperms makes it to egg and voilà god gives it a soul, then science takes over. Not every apple on the apple tree is going to turn out perfect.

ah so now, although god is supposed to be greater than the devil, he is not greater than nature. and if i read this correctly, not greater than science either.

so whats the point of this god that is powerless to prevent such suffering?

And he did create man so great that they could learn skills that would FIX that baby's problem.

and created man that was *better* then he, to resolve all the problems he is powerless to prevent. interesting.

Last edited:

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
Interesting how people's interpretation of god is changing over time and he controls less and less as we learn more through science

God of the gaps

The term God-of-the-gaps argument can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which is a variant of an argument from ignorance.[9][10] Such an argument is sometimes reduced to the following form:
- There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world.
- Therefore the cause must be supernatural.

One example of such an argument, which uses God as an explanation of one of the current gaps in biological science, is as follows: "Because current science can't figure out exactly how life started, it must be God who caused life to start." Critics of intelligent design, for example, have accused proponents of using this basic type of argument.

God-of-the-gaps arguments have been asserted by theologians to have the effect of relegating God to the leftovers of science: as scientific knowledge increases, the dominion of God decreases.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't believe that God gets involved on EVERY level of our lives. Like i'll go out in a minute and make a cup of tea. Why would god or the devil be influencing there? That would be crazy! That cup of tea is UNLIKELY to have any bearing on my future. Like i keep saying, we have 'free will' from god.

When it comes to making decisions that are going to effect the person you become in the future and that is going to have an effect on other people, i believe he DOES get involved.

So we have free will, but we don't have it?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
God died on the cross to save Christmas.

Everyone knows that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Indeed, god is a bastard.
I said god created nature, i didn't say he had a hand in it at every level. So man and wife have sex, one of the sperms makes it to egg and voilà god gives it a soul, then science takes over.
If there is a god, he created science. He created the rules of nature, and of genes etc, so when a baby is born to suffer and then die, that is god's will. The arguement for god, is that suffering is insignificant compared to eternity in heaven etc blah blah.
And he did create man so great that they could learn skills that would FIX that baby's problem.
Yeah right. We don't have the skills to stop the suffering or deaths. And those skills we do have are newfound on a 13 billion year old planet.
Interesting how people's interpretation of god is changing over time and he controls less and less as we learn more through science

God of the gaps

The term God-of-the-gaps argument can refer to a position that assumes an act of God as the explanation for an unknown phenomenon, which is a variant of an argument from ignorance.[9][10] Such an argument is sometimes reduced to the following form:
- There is a gap in understanding of some aspect of the natural world.
- Therefore the cause must be supernatural.
That is exactly what we are to believe. Each time something is proved to be nonsense, we find out we must have misunderstood in the first place. God created the world in 7 days - sorry, I mean 13 billion years. Some jehovah witness tried to tell me that 13 billion of our years was just a few days for god. In which case, god created us, in his image, to live for about 3 thousands of one of his seconds. Nice.

So do animals go to heaven? No.
Did neanderthals go to heaven? Well, they were long before the bibble and they weren't humans, so no, they didn't. But why not, god created them basically the same us, with free will etc. The reason they're not included is because when the bible was made up, the authors didn't know neanderthal man ever existed. Only a blind man can believe in the bible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports