GOD: How much do you believe in him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Point 1 , do you seriously not know ?

They would only have relevance to people who live in the past.

Point 2, colonisation wasn't for the express purpose of smiting heathens

It was to steal their resources and destroy their cultures by "civilizing" them to a set of standards forced upon them by their invaders.

And your general argument is crass anyway, it reminds me of a child. As my dear old mum used to say two wrongs dont make a right.

Did I say they did?

What's crass is the hypocrisy of some people to pass judgment on one group of people without taking a ahrd look at their own history and its implications on the world.

The Catholic church is evil. It was evil, it is evil and it will continue to be evil. Ask all the victims of it's paedophile priests.

Ok I will. And after that can we then go ask all the natives of the lands whose cultures were destroyed do they feel agrived by certain nations actions.

Can you do that? Or is there where the hypocrisy kicks in?

It was to steal their resources and destroy their cultures by "civilizing" them to a set of standards forced upon them by their invaders.

Did I say they did?

What's crass is the hypocrisy of some people to pass judgment on one group of people without taking a ahrd look at their own history and its implications on the world.

Ok I will. And after that can we then go ask all the natives of the lands whose cultures were destroyed do they feel agrived by certain nations actions.

With you on that.

Basically organized religion is inherently manipulative to maintain a singular point of view and get people to group together with/behind it.
Then you see 'leaders' in every religion, and they always relish power - which holds with manipulative inclinations.
If there's one Bob Dylan verse that I return to as a simplicity of wisdom, it's "don't follow leaders, and watch the parking meters" - doing one is as simple and fraught with banana-skin danger as the other. :banana:
Don't fear a man, and don't place trust in a man - man is flawed, and a flaw will always raise its' ugly head at some point.
That includes preachers and religious paragons, they are not to be trusted.
Moreover, I'd suggest not trusting any singular doctrine in order to guide your destiny.

I happen to 'like' the Dalai Lama on facebook, he often says interesting things. However, he isn't always right, and his sage wisdom cannot hope to apply with every situation. At lease he doesn't always seem to recite preordained doctrine by rote, to say it is always absolute.
Some things are sure to run through life in that way though, and one of them is to "watch the parking meters".

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

(Supposedly) Jesus died almost 2000 years ago, are people who go on about him "living in the past"? No, of course not. Past events leave legacies and lessons that can continue to have an effect on society long after the event.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i do love how you keep coming back to this argument that because other groups have done bad, that makes it OK for the Catholic Church to do so too. especially when those groups have done their bad work in the name of their god/church (as well as nation, often the same for all intents and purposes).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i do love how you keep coming back to this argument that because other groups have done bad, that makes it OK for the Catholic Church to do so too. especially when those groups have done their bad work in the name of their god/church (as well as nation, often the same for all intents and purposes).

Bad and evil behaviour is not unique to the Catholic Church or for that matter Christianity. By the same token though it does not excuse it, the bad acts of any creed are equally despicable and such behaviour by other groups is still no excuse, pity poor old Tyrone can't quite grasp this.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
(Supposedly) Jesus died almost 2000 years ago, are people who go on about him "living in the past"? No, of course not. Past events leave legacies and lessons that can continue to have an effect on society long after the event.

As far as I know the teachings of Christ still can be related to someone today in 2011. But to answer your question, yes they are in some ways living in the past. Apply a bit of modern sensibility to his words and they are still relevant.

Linking modern day religions to a massive event like the Crusades just has no relevance given that the majority of nations are governed by governments, not monarchies or religions.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Bad and evil behaviour is not unique to the Catholic Church or for that matter Christianity. By the same token though it does not excuse it, the bad acts of any creed are equally despicable and such behaviour by other groups is still no excuse, pity poor old Tyrone can't quite grasp this.

Once again, learn to read perhaps and stop making stuff up?

post #1287

Well the answer would be same for both questions wouldn't it.

Both have been good and bad.

That indicates a recognition of past actions which admit past actions that are considered as "bad".

Don't let the truth get in the way of your opinions though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
As far as I know the teachings of Christ still can be related to someone today in 2011. But to answer your question, yes they are in some ways living in the past. Apply a bit of modern sensibility to his words and they are still relevant.

Linking modern day religions to a massive event like the Crusades just has no relevance given that the majority of nations are governed by governments, not monarchies or religions.

The crusades shaped cultures and relations between religions and nations and that affects us today. They helped increase the wealth and power of christianity and the papacy which has affected christianity's position in the world through the ages. It has affected how the world views modern day conflicts, on both sides.

The lasting effects of the Crusades on the Middle East - by Annalou Mack - Helium
http://www.bookrags.com/essay-2005/9/30/151342/112

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Once again, learn to read perhaps and stop making stuff up?

post #1287

I can read perfectly well thank you. As for 'making stuff up' how do you work that out ? Clearly you're the person who needs to learn to read. After all you're the person who believes in some mythical being. Frankly you should quit now as you are making a fool of yourself.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Did I say they did?

You are incredibly thick if you don't know how the crusades affect things. Just a hint, do you remember the fuss when George W called the war on terror a crusade. If not go look it up.

As to your did I say that- well every time you try to defend the indefensible you bring up colonialism as if that somehow excuses the Catholic church for all it's crimes. Yes colonialism was bad, but then so was Stalinism but that doesn't let the Pope off the hook either.

Catholisism is evil, the pope is evil and you are an apologist for it. It is an execise in power and hypocrisy.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The crusades shaped cultures and relations between religions and nations and that affects us today. They helped increase the wealth and power of christianity and the papacy which has affect christianity's position in the world through the ages. It has affected how the world views modern day conflicts, on both sides.

The lasting effects of the Crusades on the Middle East - by Annalou Mack - Helium
http://www.bookrags.com/essay-2005/9/30/151342/112

Steady, he'll tell you that you're making that all up. Of course to him it's irrelevant as it happened so long ago. He'll conveniently ignore it's legacies of course.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You are incredibly thick if you don't know how the crusades affect things. Just a hint, do you remember the fuss when George W called the war on terror a crusade. If not go look it up.

Wow, you just missed the irony there. Geroge Bush says something stupid and the vast majoirty of the world say "don't be so bloody stupid".

You realise that indicates the vast majoirty of people think it was a stupid and irrelevant statement that has no place in this modern world.

Or did that point miss you?

As to your did I say that- well every time you try to defend the indefensible you bring up colonialism as if that somehow excuses the Catholic church for all it's crimes. Yes colonialism was bad, but then so was Stalinism but that doesn't let the Pope off the hook either.

Small point, the Pope is one person, there's a billion others who have their own opinions. MASSIVE fail is when people associate the Pope's views to every single other catholics views.

Which Pope are you exactly talking about? Some were bad and some were good. Funny how that mirrors the rest of society...

Catholisism is evil, the pope is evil and you are an apologist for it. It is an execise in power and hypocrisy.

Right.

What power would that be exactly? Your Government has more power over you than the Pope has over his fellow Catholics.

The most moronic statement is to label a whole organisation evil due to the actions of a few. It's like saying all atheists are self centred turds who care only for their own prosperity. This of course is a non fatual statement create dto show how the actions of a few do not mirror the reality of the majority.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The most moronic statement is to label a whole organisation evil due to the actions of a few. It's like saying all atheists are self centred turds who care only for their own prosperity.

not really that moronic, given the context of the history of the Catholic church's direction of, acceptance or covering up of the actions of that few. that makes the institution partially responsible. you can say what you like about any atheist, but since they aren't a collective group they are not and cannot be responsible for the actions of others. i suppose due to your indoctrination you simply cant comprehend this.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Wow, you just missed the irony there. Geroge Bush says something stupid and the vast majoirty of the world say "don't be so bloody stupid".

You realise that indicates the vast majoirty of people think it was a stupid and irrelevant statement that has no place in this modern world.

Or did that point miss you?

Small point, the Pope is one person, there's a billion others who have their own opinions. MASSIVE fail is when people associate the Pope's views to every single other catholics views.

Which Pope are you exactly talking about? Some were bad and some were good. Funny how that mirrors the rest of society...

Right.

What power would that be exactly? Your Government has more power over you than the Pope has over his fellow Catholics.

The most moronic statement is to label a whole organisation evil due to the actions of a few. It's like saying all atheists are self centred turds who care only for their own prosperity. This of course is a non fatual statement create dto show how the actions of a few do not mirror the reality of the majority.

Irony, ffs. The whole point about the George W quote is how offensive that term is in the Islamic World, which was why it was so heavly criticised.

Popes " some bad, some good", well thats reassuring for the spiritual leaders of some billion people. Leaders who have declared themselves infallible.

And Mr Thicky, I'm not saying Catholics are evil, I'm saying the Catholic church is. You know that enormously rich organisation, protects paedophiles, interferes in government, campaigns against contraception.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
not really that moronic, given the context of the history of the Catholic church's direction of, acceptance or covering up of the actions of that few. that makes the institution partially responsible.

Since when is the institution the vast majority of the people?

Is it the vast majority of English people's fault that Blair sent its soldiers to Iraq/Afghanistan? I mean look at all the cover ups and lies involved in that and the consequences.

Using that reasoning if the Catholic Church is evil then The British Government and all its institutions are also evil to the core.

you can say what you like about any atheist, but since they aren't a collective group they are not and cannot be responsible for the actions of others. i suppose due to your indoctrination you simply cant comprehend this.

Just like the millions of millions of Muslims who aren't repsonsible for the actions of others. Funny how that line of reasoning only seems to be applied to certain groups aye.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
The biggest victory of the Devils is making YOU ALL think that he doesn't exist.

You already know that the Devil will do just about anything to get your attention. Did you ever stop to think that he’s lying to you about almost everything every day? These lies can become so pervasive, that they almost don’t seem like lies anymore. Here are some lies the Devil wants you to believe, so he has a better chance at making you act in the way he wants you to.

The Devil wants you to believe that he’s stronger than God.

I once heard a lady say that she wouldn’t pray out loud because she was afraid that the devil would intercept her prayer before it got to God. That’s giving the devil more power than God, and that’s a mistake.

The Devil wants you to believe that this world is all there is.

He wants you to believe that you’d better spend all your time getting everything you can while you’re here. That people here are more important than the eternity in Heaven. He wants you to get caught up in the material side of life and forget about your spiritual side.

The Devil wants you to believe that you’re all alone.

He knows that this leads to feeling helpless and depressed, and then he can plant discouraging, and hateful things in your mind. When you know you have people who care about you, then you can fill your mind with hope, and love, and giving, and there’s just no room for the Devil’s darkness.

The Devil wants you to believe that free will is a myth.

He wants you to believe that you have no control over how you think, or how you feel. When he wins this battle, it leaves him to push you in any direction that he chooses. It lets him use you to work for him by the feeling that you can’t fight difficult thoughts, and difficult attitudes, and even difficult circumstances.

The Devil wants you to believe that what you do as one single person can’t possibly matter in the long run.

He wants you to not be aware of how your attitude, or your thoughts, or your words or actions might affect other people. If you believe you’re not a tool of God, then you won’t monitor or safeguard your mind, heart, and spirit, from the junk the Devil dishes out every day. Then the Devil can use your thoughts, your voice, your actions to work for him.

The Devil wants you to lose faith in love, in the power of work, the belief in happiness.

The Devil wants you to stress out over things you can’t control, he wants you to burn out from no enjoyment in life’s simple pleasures. He wants you to put all your energy into doing it all, because then you’ll be angry and resentful and confused and that’s the kind of people he works best with.

The biggest lie that the Devil is selling the world is that he doesn’t exist.

If he’s not real, you don’t need to be cautious of him, do you? You don’t need to be wary of the lies that he might plant. He’s not real. The Devil needs to get you to believe that the Bible is unproven, that Jesus is just a story; that it was applicable years ago, but there’s nothing in it that makes sense for your life today. If he can get you to believe that, then he knows that you’ll believe anything he wants to tell you.

Satan tricks us by telling lies. He controls us by telling lies. He convinces us to do things that we wouldn’t do otherwise. Be on the lookout for how the Devil may be tricking you into things you aren’t consciously choosing to do. You have the power to choose.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Since when is the institution the vast majority of the people?

Is it the vast majority of English people's fault that Blair sent its soldiers to Iraq/Afghanistan? I mean look at all the cover ups and lies involved in that and the consequences.

Using that reasoning if the Catholic Church is evil then The British Government and all its institutions are also evil to the core.

Just like the millions of millions of Muslims who aren't repsonsible for the actions of others. Funny how that line of reasoning only seems to be applied to certain groups aye.

Sending troops to fight a war is not illegal, child molesting is. Put it another way, The UK elects it's Government through a democratic vote, not like the Pope and his cronies who are elected by their peers and not vast majority of their followers. How you can equate the actions of a democratically elected government (fighting what many would say is a holy war, Jihads and all of that) with that of the coverups of the Catholic Church ? What aspect of Tony Blair's decisions have been covered up ? What aspects of the child abuse by Catholic Priests HAVE NOT been covered up ? Can you see the difference ? Probably not, you do say some stupid things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports