Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
This thread will run and run, and maybe its time to move over to another thread.... Is the catholic church good or evil? Maybe I'll start it when I get back from Bristol on Saturday.

As some posted part one, here's part two. Much more interersting, as well as the final part of an interesting debate. Old news I know, but worth watching in full if you have a spare hour.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i think this thread has a few separate subjects that are getting intermingled due to the thread title.

believing in a higher force / intelligence / energy does not make one religious.

having some sacredness in ones life does not mean one has to follow any dogma.

i know a sufi guy who spends time with some extremely wise people who have links to the school from Gurdjieff - but he slams much of "cultural islam."

i know a mystic from freemasonry who slams all religion.

i know a yogi in india who slams much of hinduism.

i know a rosicrucian who slams much of christianity.

i know a hermetic that knows some amazing things in the old testament but is not a christian.

it is not black and white, but the word 'god' triggers the conditioning from being a child in the western world and what that word relates to in the exoteric dogma.

sacred experiences, mystical experiences, spiritual experiences, leaps of faith, synchronicities - none can be labelled, they are each for the inner self.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Don't get me started-i will pass for today:lol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well the answer would be same for both questions wouldn't it.

Both have been good and bad.

Yes but England has never claimed to have 'God' on it's side. Bad acts by this country have never been made in the belief that we are doing a 'higher authority's' 'good' work.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This thread will run and run, and maybe its time to move over to another thread.... Is the catholic church good or evil?

well on balance, i'd have to say it is evil. yes yes it does good and there are good people with in the church, but as an institution it has engaged in persecution and touture of people for nothing more than having a slightly different belief, conducted missionry work at the point of a sword, and protected and covered up those who have committed child abuse and rape, one of the most abhorrent crimes. i really struggle to understand how christians stay within this church knowing its history past and present.

it is not black and white, but the word 'god' triggers the conditioning from being a child in the western world and what that word relates to in the exoteric dogma.

its hardly an issue exclusive to the western world, south america, africa, middle east, indian sub-continent, southeast asia all have deep faith in their god/gods indoctrinated from childhood.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
its hardly an issue exclusive to the western world, south america, africa, middle east, indian sub-continent, southeast asia all have deep faith in their god/gods indoctrinated from childhood.

totally agree, my comment was based on many of the posts within this thread.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yes but England has never claimed to have 'God' on it's side. Bad acts by this country have never been made in the belief that we are doing a 'higher authority's' 'good' work.

Ah you might want to rethink that statment.

If you truly think that none of the English Monarchs have decreed that they have God on their side going into a war you're incredibly deluded.

Cœur de Lion...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
totally agree, my comment was based on many of the posts within this thread.

Whilst religion may tend to do good for it's followers it tends to do bad for those who don't follow it's doctrine. What about the Crusades or the average Jihad for starters ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
sacred experiences, mystical experiences, spiritual experiences, leaps of faith, synchronicities - none can be labelled, they are each for the inner self.

I think we can agree that we agree on very little but agree on this :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Whilst religion may tend to do good for it's followers it tends to do bad for those who don't follow it's doctrine. What about the Crusades or the average Jihad for starters ?

The Crusades finished 800 years ago. What relevance do they have on todays society?

Colonialization has been responsible for more deaths since then by a long, long stretch.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Crusades finished 800 years ago. What relevance do they have on todays society?

Colonialization has been responsible for more deaths since then by a long, long stretch.

As usual, you are either being obtuse or just plain stupid. I am using them as an example. Jihads are happening now in case you haven't noticed. I could heap all sorts of facts about your precious Catholic Church but that's been done to death already. It's a pity you don't have the wit to address the comment in it's real context but there again, it's easy to see why a fanatical follower like you will try and avoid facts. Repeatedly you have done this on this thread, why not cut your losses, there must be an evening Mass you need to go to.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

For the record, as there are far more Catholics in the World than any other Christian sect do you know why this is ? Firstly the Spanish forcing their beliefs (Catholic) on people by torture and genocide and then the influence of the Catholic Church over those who have been scared into following it leading to mass over population. Abortion is still illegal in many countries as in fact contraception but never mind as this is fact you will try and bullshit your way round it as usual.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As usual, you are either being obtuse or just plain stupid. I am using them as an example. Jihads are happening now in case you haven't noticed. I could heap all sorts of facts about your precious Catholic Church but that's been done to death already. It's a pity you don't have the wit to address the comment in it's real context but there again, it's easy to see why a fanatical follower like you will try and avoid facts. Repeatedly you have done this on this thread, why not cut your losses, there must be an evening Mass you need to go to.

There's 7 billion people on the planet, 6.9999999 billion of who have no "jihads" going on.

You're a complete sensationalist who doesn't live in the realms of reality nor truths.

Yes there are people who have a "jihad", but they are the small, small minoirty, not to be confused with the vast, vast majoirty who just go about their lives as does everyone else on the planet without the attitudes you seem to assign to people.

So don't bleat on about facts when you don't ever provide any nor seem capable of discussing anything without that sensationalist delivery.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Point 1 , do you seriously not know ?

Point 2, colonisation wasn't for the express purpose of smiting heathens

And your general argument is crass anyway, it reminds me of a child. As my dear old mum used to say two wrongs dont make a right.

The Catholic church is evil. It was evil, it is evil and it will continue to be evil. Ask all the victims of it's paedophile priests.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
For the record, as there are far more Catholics in the World than any other Christian sect do you know why this is ? Firstly the Spanish forcing their beliefs (Catholic) on people by torture and genocide and then the influence of the Catholic Church over those who have been scared into following it leading to mass over population. Abortion is still illegal in many countries as in fact contraception but never mind as this is fact you will try and bullshit your way round it as usual.

For the record? You waffle on about talking facts then can't even get that one right.

Islam has more practising members than Roman Catholicism does.

The fact you link(with more guessing and genralisations) contraception and abortion apply to simply "religious" people shows what a blinkered view of the world you have. It's as if an Atheist can't have anti-abortion views and people who believe in a God also can't have their own opinions within their churches.

The only bullshit is that which comes form your ignorant and uneducated views on the modern world.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
This thread will run and run, and maybe its time to move over to another thread.... Is the catholic church good or evil? Maybe I'll start it when I get back from Bristol on Saturday.

As some posted part one, here's part two. Much more interersting, as well as the final part of an interesting debate. Old news I know, but worth watching in full if you have a spare hour.

One foot in hell already stephen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here