Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Are you so perfect?
No, but then sin it what the bible tells you it is.

Having a wank is considered a sin in a lot of regilious eyes, so every bloke on this planet probably sinned 5 times a day in their teens.

But then non bleivers aren't going to be afriad of having a wank (unless their mum walks in on them) so what a sin is to some, is no issue to others.

I've never killed anyone, robbed anyone, I have no contact with the police in my life, maybe broke the odd spped limit, so in my eyes I haven't sinned.

Hand me the stone then! Am I using yoiu as a target. I'd much rather it be DerbyGull, but you'll do.

But then of course I will have sinned as soon as I lob it at you, as I'd be breaking the law.

oh, its all so confusing isn't it :moo:

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
No one else has been shot down in flames. Other people are having a debate.

You have shot down in flames, now by many people, because your views, particually on starving and dying children makes you a vile nasty little [unt.

Its not your views please hate. It's you.

Now go and do everyone a favour, and jump off a very tall building, you vile sad little piece of shit.

God and Jesus will be waiting on the other side for you. They love you. So you might as well end this life, and I hope you will be happier in the next one.

I havnt read this thread as its pretty boring. Personally i dont believe in god but im not against the thought of believeing in something. Im just waiting for some proof.

Anyway my point is you seem to be slating this guy becasue he said the children who die in Africa are the lucky ones because they will be reborn into a better life. Thats what he believes, fair enough.

You obviously dont believe this and that we all have one chance in life and that saying 'they are lucky if they die' makes him a (unt. Well im not too sure i agree with you. If your so against what he said because those who die (thats it basically) are dead, end of. Then why dont u stop giving this guy so much shit and do something about it rather than spend all your time slating some guy on an internet forum for what he believes in.

If you disagree so strongly with what he is saying and that there is no second chance after life matbe your energy could be directed somewhere more beneficial, like doing something about what you believe in rather than slating someone for their beliefs.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Still, at least we live in a democracy free from religion. Oh no, wait - we specifically reserve places for bishops in our House of Lords. We are one of only two 'democracies' (the other being Iran!) who reserve places in parliament for religious leaders.

First off, I am not a labour supporter. But that's besides the point. No member of parliament is "stupid". Plenty of them (most?) have some bloody weird politics, but I imagine most elected members are at least quite intelligent by the common definition. However the signature is merely a quote from John Stuart Mill which I found humorous: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Stuart_Mill

Is the strap abuse? There's a case for it, but it's probably a separate debate. General discipline? No, that's not "abuse". But brainwashing a child into a particular belief (be that a religious one, or a political one)? Not allowing them to know that the parents' belief is merely that, and not fact, that there are many alternative choices out there? Denying the child the right to make an informed choice, instead favouring the parents' "right" to choose it for them? Yep, that counts for me.

(I hope I've done the quotes right. Difficult to reply to multi-quotes such as this, within a one-inch gap!)

I hadn't realised that was John Stuart Mill quote. He was a genius. However, he was speaking at a time when the Conservatives were actually the lower-class party and the Liberals or Whigs were the upper-class party. So I suppose he felt then about the Conservatives, much as some people think of today's Labour Party!

A small child can't make an informed choice, but s/he can when s/he is older. Better s/he has knowledge of religions and faiths earlier in life, than having to learn all about it later. I'm not talking about indoctrination here, just the basic tenets of, say, Christianity, the main religion of the UK. (There are 42 million people in the UK who consider themselves to be Christians. They're not all stupid or indoctrinated.) Ditto for those in the UK who are Muslim, Jewish, etc.

This is a thread about belief in God, not about religion. There are many religions and faiths, and not all of them can be right. Or wrong. To my mind, God has little to do with religion, but I've been through that argument many pages ago. It does not hurt a child to be told about God. S/he can make up her or his own mind later as it gains experience in life.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I re-did the figures to include over-65s to correlate with the 2001 census. No, elderly people within the general population in the 1800s was not a rarity.

Do you generally converse as if you know everything or just on these boards? I'm not going to profess to be an expert on who was elderly in the 1800's, but I am sure it was a lot rarer than it is now. in 1900 for example, the no. of over 65's was around 4% of the population, by 2000 it was 12%, it is predicted to be around 17% by 2020. I think you could start a fight in an empty house. It is no wonder you are into politics.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I havnt read this thread as its pretty boring. Personally i dont believe in god but im not against the thought of believeing in something. Im just waiting for some proof.

Anyway my point is you seem to be slating this guy becasue he said the children who die in Africa are the lucky ones because they will be reborn into a better life. Thats what he believes, fair enough.

You obviously dont believe this and that we all have one chance in life and that saying 'they are lucky if they die' makes him a (unt. Well im not too sure i agree with you. If your so against what he said because those who die (thats it basically) are dead, end of. Then why dont u stop giving this guy so much shit and do something about it rather than spend all your time slating some guy on an internet forum for what he believes in.

If you disagree so strongly with what he is saying and that there is no second chance after life matbe your energy could be directed somewhere more beneficial, like doing something about what you believe in rather than slating someone for their beliefs.
You're not his mum are you?

Sorry, if someone says they children are lucky if they die, no matter what his beleifs are, yes, I'd say that makes him a [unt.

Don't forget, this person also stated in this thread, he as only just started reading the bible. He hasn't even finished reading it yet, and he making statements like that.

Its probably also best not to tell me what you do, without knowing that I do.

If someone/anyone believe people starving to death is a good thing, in any way shape or form, then I will slate them.

Ok

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
This is a thread about belief in God, not about religion. There are many religions and faiths, and not all of them can be right. Or wrong.
Hang on, how can they not all be wrong?
Obviously they can't all be right because they contradict each other. But that doesn't mean they can't all be wrong.

I doubt there are 42 million Christians in the UK either.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Although it is not true that most Conservatives are stupid, it is true that most stupid people are Conservative.

I've checked out this quote. He actually said: "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative.

But he also said: "A party of order or stability, and a party of progress or reform, are both necessary elements of a healthy state of political life."

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
You're not his mum are you?

Sorry, if someone says they children are lucky if they die, no matter what his beleifs are, yes, I'd say that makes him a [unt.

Don't forget, this person also stated in this thread, he as only just started reading the bible. He hasn't even finished reading it yet, and he making statements like that.

Its probably also best not to tell me what you do, without knowing that I do.

If someone/anyone believe people starving to death is a good thing, in any way shape or form, then I will slate them.

Ok

You're an angry man, get help!

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Gotta laugh. I live in Greece and I've just had Greek Jehovah's Witnesses trying to leave me their mag. In English! Can't see there will be many takers around here.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Good question. Since he was god it seems impossible. Even when fasting in the desert for 40 days and 40 nights he didn't give into the devils temptations. He couldn't have died for us if he was a sinner.

Jesus wasn't God. He was human, but the son of God.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Of course i don't believe in stoning. I don't believe in inflicting violence. JC didn't have people stoned. The general point i took from that article is that Satan and his works are alive and well in this world and it's upto us to turn away from Satan. Like Mr Burns keeps pointing out that i said 'the kids dying in africa are lucky' and he took it out of context. I meant that if their rulers are happy to inflict suffering and famine and death on them and do Satan's work then those children are better off away from that. I would much rather those children were born into safe surroundings. But Satan is at work there and there isn't much that can be done to stop the Satanists. Any aid workers that go over there and try and do good are at risk of death, what is the answer to that???

This is a disgusting post.

Why do you say that? Did you read it carefully?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
A small child can't make an informed choice, but s/he can when s/he is older. Better s/he has knowledge of religions and faiths earlier in life, than having to learn all about it later. I'm not talking about indoctrination here, just the basic tenets of, say, Christianity, the main religion of the UK. (There are 42 million people in the UK who consider themselves to be Christians. They're not all stupid or indoctrinated.) Ditto for those in the UK who are Muslim, Jewish, etc.

This is a thread about belief in God, not about religion. There are many religions and faiths, and not all of them can be right. Or wrong. To my mind, God has little to do with religion, but I've been through that argument many pages ago. It does not hurt a child to be told about God. S/he can make up her or his own mind later as it gains experience in life.

I agree it does not hurt a child to be told about God. I do, however, believe that it does hurt a child to teach them that a god (any god) is a matter of fact, and to hide from them that it is perfectly fine, reasonable and even common to believe otherwise. In terms of "mental" harm, teaching a young child as a matter of fact that they (or their friends/family) will spend an eternity in torture & agony is pretty damn cruel. In terms of physical harm, I believe that permanent acts such as (but not specifically limited to) circumcision on a child at a young age, just because a parent happens to believe their god wants it, is indeed child abuse.

I've checked out this quote. He actually said: "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative.

But he also said: "A party of order or stability, and a party of progress or reform, are both necessary elements of a healthy state of political life."

Maybe the wording is wrong. Odd. From here: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_stuart_mill.html I have the correct wording, so who knows?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
There are 42 million people in the UK who consider themselves to be Christians.

A figure which probably includes me, as I was baptised as a child, before I had the choice. Kind of brings us whole circle really to the "Is it right to indoctrinate a child" debate. Right or wrong though, I'm on the church's books as a christian, counting towards their figures, and there is nothing I can do about it.

I wouldn't trust that figure for a second.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here