GOD: How much do you believe in him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
So basically only 3.7% of the population were over 60 and only 0.3% of the population were over 80. That is not a lot of elderly to look after. In another way for every 27 people, 1 was over 60. It is likely that many people didn't know anyone over 60. Far from disproving the poster your were quoting, you've probably backed the argument up!

In 2001, the population of England and Wales was around 59 million of whom, 15.9% were aged over 65. As I said, in 1841, the population was almost 27 million of whom 5% were aged over 65. My point isn't that the numbers of aged people has remained static. My point was that elderly people within the population was not a rarity. (As an aside, 18% of the 2001 population (at 10.8 million) was aged 14 and under. In 1841, that figure was 4.8 million, or 40%. The downward change can probably be attributed to birth control and abortion.)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
They have everything to do with science. They were all invented as a result of scientific discovery, formal or otherwise.

So, a caveman cooking over a fire is "science" ?? By your reckoning every single death, accident or mishap is down to science

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If they love god then they can't be haters.

Not a lot of love lost between Catholics and Protestants through the ages though is there? I'd have said 'hate' isn't too strong a word to describe the relationship for at least 400 years. Both believe in Jesus, in the gospels, just not the details.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
So are you saying before science, no one killed anyone with a weapon? Is a stone not a weapon? Sciencists invented the sword did they..... :mad::mad:

Why only associate science with scientists? Someone with a scientific mind (a blacksmith's ancestor, for example) worked out that if you heat up steel, you can shape it and make a pretty sword. That is actually science. His ancestor, millions of years ago, worked out scientifically (without even knowing he was doing that), that if he lobbed a heavy stone at his irritating mother-in-law, he could injure her. By experimentation, (lobbing it only once), he worked out that if it hits a particular spot on her temple with the stone, she's a dead 'un. It's all science.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
On the street, no. But maybe in a smaller palace. Some of the billions he has could be used for some good in the world, rather than for letting him show off.

The Catholic Church could, for example, advance cancer/HIV research by years in one go. Or feed Africa. Or... well, you can do this bit I'm sure.

Are you assuming the Catholic Church gobbles up all its income and gives nothing to charity?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In 2001, the population of England and Wales was around 59 million of whom, 15.9% were aged over 65. As I said, in 1841, the population was almost 27 million of whom 5% were aged over 65. My point isn't that the numbers of aged people has remained static. My point was that elderly people within the population was not a rarity. (As an aside, 18% of the 2001 population (at 10.8 million) was aged 14 and under. In 1841, that figure was 4.8 million, or 40%. The downward change can probably be attributed to birth control and abortion.)

5% - not according to the figures you quoted. Elderly people within the general population in the 1800's was a rarity. Statistics also show that if your born in December you're more likely to become a dentist. Go figure.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Even if I knew God did exist I still wouldn't believe in it.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
God or Aliens? If you discount the idea of the Earth being made as a home for mankind by God, then I think you must believe in Aliens, as the mathematical possibilities of there being no other 'intelligent' life in the universe, is virtually zero, although why should God not create life on distant planets as well, who maybe look nothing like man, why should mankind think they have a right to, God just for themselves.?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Helping out in africa will more than likely please god and anger satan. So your wish many not be granted after all.
Just worth pointing out to anyone who hasn't read the whole thread (and who can blame you), and who think I am bully DerbyGull, bare in mind this is a "thing" that directly said earlier in this thread, the hundreds of thousands of african children that are going to die as a direct result of the drought, are "The lucky ones" as they will be born again into a better life. So when the tens, hundreds, thousands, tens of thousdands, hundreds of thousands of children die after weeks and months in pain from lack of food, this prick thinks they are "the lucky ones", based on his part reading of the bible. Despite being given a number of oppertunaties to withdrawn or better explain what he said, he didn't, just said they are lucky again.

Judge him as you will, but bare that in mind, you are speaking to a complete vile and nasty individual.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
God or Aliens? If you discount the idea of the Earth being made as a home for mankind by God, then I think you must believe in Aliens, as the mathematical possibilities of there being no other 'intelligent' life in the universe, is virtually zero, although why should God not create life on distant planets as well, who maybe look nothing like man, why should mankind think they have a right to, God just for themselves.?

Maybe their are other life forms on other planets, but maybe they're not sinners like us and don't need correcting.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Just worth pointing out to anyone who hasn't read the whole thread (and who can blame you), and who think I am bully DerbyGull, bare in mind this is a "thing" that directly said earlier in this thread, the hundreds of thousands of african children that are going to die as a direct result of the drought, are "The lucky ones" as they will be born again into a better life. So when the tens, hundreds, thousands, tens of thousdands, hundreds of thousands of children die after weeks and months in pain from lack of food, this prick thinks they are "the lucky ones", based on his part reading of the bible. Despite being given a number of oppertunaties to withdrawn or better explain what he said, he didn't, just said they are lucky again.

Judge him as you will, but bare that in mind, you are speaking to a complete vile and nasty individual.

Keep on going...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Why only associate science with scientists? Someone with a scientific mind (a blacksmith's ancestor, for example) worked out that if you heat up steel, you can shape it and make a pretty sword. That is actually science. His ancestor, millions of years ago, worked out scientifically (without even knowing he was doing that), that if he lobbed a heavy stone at his irritating mother-in-law, he could injure her. By experimentation, (lobbing it only once), he worked out that if it hits a particular spot on her temple with the stone, she's a dead 'un. It's all science.
Oh okay then.

If thats your take on "science" then I suppose its responsable for every death ever.

Mosquitos which are appartently responseable for half the deaths of anyone who has ever lived, kill people by a chemical, so I suppose those deaths are down to science as well??

WOW!!! :mad::mad::mad:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

He doesn't mean that as such it's just what he believes. The fact that most people find that an obscene notion is where you're at, I cannot disagree. Frankly I pity people like that who are devoid of common sense. Of course many Christians feel that Martyrs were happy to be tortured and mutilated in persuit of their faith. Of course many Moslems are happy to blow themselves to pieces (along with any bystanders) in pursuit of their beliefs. Poor old Ghandi settled for drinking his own urine.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Maybe their are other life forms on other planets, but maybe they're not sinners like us and don't need correcting.

Sinners ? Well I don't know about you but as a law abiding citizen I don't consider myself a sinner so therefore I don't need correcting and I certainly don't need the 'guidance' of a mythical character to tell me what I'm doing wrong either.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

That's probably straying from the subject somewhat, but I think most scientists these days would say that the maths would support the very probable existence of life on other planets - "intelligent" life as such is a much harder thing, and would not be supported with any great probability at the moment by most. Given that life started on this planet relatively quickly - approximately 1bn years after formation, most of which would have been molten rock and uninhabitable - it has taken approximately 3.5bn years to get to this stage. Given that the universe is only about 12-14bn years old, along similar timescales to our own it somewhat limit the number of systems that could have evolved so far. The above has been compressed rather too much and too simplistic, but I can't type any more.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I wouldn't be much of a christian if i was just keeping this stuff to myself, it's my duty (and every christians) to remind non-beleivers (not in a condisending way). Upto you whether you lot call me a wanker or take anything from it.

"Duty" to infringe on the privacy of others, and their rights to be left to their beliefs? Outrageous!

And now the table has turned and it is Chrisitans being oppressed and attacked.

You're right. Faith schools have been banned now after all. Oh no, wait - there are hundreds and they still receive funding from the state.

Still, at least we live in a democracy free from religion. Oh no, wait - we specifically reserve places for bishops in our House of Lords. We are one of only two 'democracies' (the other being Iran!) who reserve places in parliament for religious leaders.

I can go on, if you like?

There are some extremely stupid people who are members of the Labour Party. I give you Harriet Harman and Mr and Mrs Balls to start with. Your sig is silly.

First off, I am not a labour supporter. But that's besides the point. No member of parliament is "stupid". Plenty of them (most?) have some bloody weird politics, but I imagine most elected members are at least quite intelligent by the common definition. However the signature is merely a quote from John Stuart Mill which I found humorous: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Stuart_Mill

I'm not religious. Haven't been to church in 40 years (except for the usual weddings and funerals), but I see nothing wrong in children having a religious education in school, not for the sake of indoctrination, but so they have an understanding of how their family's religion affects them and the family. Following a religion at school, is also a lesson in morality and learning simple right from wrong, which so many people today just don't seem to understand. They appear on reality TV, insulting everyone and everything, proclaiming: "Well, that's me, and I'm not changing for anybody". But change, they should. They have to accommodate the needs of the people around them but so many are just reluctant to do that. The physical and mental damage from child abuse is as nothing compared to learning right from wrong at an early age. Perhaps you are one of those who includes the school "strap" as child abuse, in which case, perhaps you also see general discipline as "abuse"?

Is the strap abuse? There's a case for it, but it's probably a separate debate. General discipline? No, that's not "abuse". But brainwashing a child into a particular belief (be that a religious one, or a political one)? Not allowing them to know that the parents' belief is merely that, and not fact, that there are many alternative choices out there? Denying the child the right to make an informed choice, instead favouring the parents' "right" to choose it for them? Yep, that counts for me.

Political correctness means you can't wear a cross around your neck. Anyone who stands on a street corner preaching the gospel has to be a mad man. This is oppression.

No, it isn't.

"Political correctness" means that you don't have special privilege to wear a cross where your colleagues wouldn't be allowed to wear any old non-religious jewellery of their choice. It's called equal treatment. Not being given rights above every one else in society isn't oppression. Stop thinking you're so bloody special.

The preacher on the street corner is allowed to preach. Nobody is stopping him. If he was stopped, that would be oppression, but he isn't. People thinking he's mad? Maybe some do, but that's opinion, not oppression! Bloody hell - not only do you want special rights above non-Christians, you now want the right to ban people from having private thoughts/opinions?! Does your desire for being above everyone else have no bounds?!

Buy a bloody dictionary, and realise that Christians are treated equally (if not more so) in this country - and that that is exactly how it should be. You are human, as are the rest of us, regardless of what comes next.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports