Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
lucky mr Hova! hello again! looks like the conversation has moved on a fair bit (in terms of length perhaps not detail)

Indeed. I see Mr Burns is still being pedantic, looking at words and not ideas. One thing I should have made clear in my earlier posts, is that, philosophically, I was putting forth an idea of what God could be, not what God is, because no one knows.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
It's interesting how this has gone from a belief in 'God' (I am assuming that the OP wasn't referring to the biblical one), to a tennis match between christians and non-christians. Most of the posts lead me to believe that there's not much to choose between them.

I'm not too fond of christians (as a whole - speaking purely from my experience with them) and like many here find their opinions overbearing.

My best friend and soulmate became a born again christian many years ago, which placed a huge strain upon our friendship. He moved away and became heavily involved in the YMCA as a counsellor - and yes, he genuinely was trying to help.

It did him no favours when on a late night call-out to one of his clients, it resulted in him being fatally stabbed through the heart. He would have said it was 'god's will' - I would have said it was a deranged bastard with a knife.

However, that has not and does not stop me from being open to the idea that a 'god' of sorts can still exist - just one that has no interest in what we get up to on this little planet. After all, there's a whole universe/s to occupy yourself with.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Exactly what can religion explain that science can't? The basis of most religions were founded centuries ago when science was not as advanced as it is now. Science is slowly but surely eroding the stories that are the bedrock of religion.

Are you saying that the teachings of JC are irrelevant today? If science can explain everything than how is there a planet earth? a solar system, a universe? did it come from nothing? Nothing comes from nothing. There has to have been a divine creator.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Some of the opinions held by atheists nowadays are at best ignorant, at worst almost confrontational. The theories that are held within Darwinism and religion are in some cases very complex and it makes me cringe seeing people band them around so freely and with such ignorance. For some, putting the question in the 'Does God exist?' form slightly misses the point...

Despite the fact that my line of work means I go to church 8 times a week, I still don't really know how I feel about the religion question. But I will say that many Christians I know see their faith not as a strong belief in the truth of the Bible but in leading 'Christian' lives and possibly using the Bible as a guide for doing this. The whole thing can be far more symbolic and far less explicit than people make out. Of course, this isn't to say that there aren't a number of people within religion (specifically referring to Christianity here) whose preaching does more harm to the reputation of their religion than good. But the negative stigma that comes with having faith stems from an ignorance that is far greater than that of the accused.

To make the Creationist question to be one of 'God or Darwin' does a pretty major disservice to the complex dimensions within both schools of thought. Whilst the emergence of Darwinism has been very important in shaping people's views on the issue of religion, the fact that Cathedrals and churches are still open with big congregations suggest that religious faith possibly goes beyond ideas of science or just 'being ignorant'.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
But you still haven't answered the point. You have said such a vile thing about the 750k they think will die, and you can not accept what you said was evil, or even tired to take it back, or say you were misquoted, which obviosuly you haven't been. And you claim to be a Christain!!! Says it all really.

For whats its worth, I have visited Africa on many occassions, and plan to do so on many more. I also plan to do voluentary work out there next year, and if all goes to plan, in 8 or 9 years time, when I am finiancally sercure, I will spend months out there at a time doing unpaid charaity work , so don't accuse me of looking for a fight. I've already put far more into Africa, that a person like you ever will.

You like quotes, he's another one "Two hands working can do more than a million clasped in prayer"

You claim to have given money to Somalian aid on several occasions even though you have not been working. Amazing out of all the African countries in shit, you have given money to the one I mention. WHAT BULLSHIT! Also what you say suggusts to me you haven't worked for some time. WOW! Big surprise there with your views. You've too much time on your hands, and nothing to fill it with, so you turn to the bible. You're 29. Is mummy and daddy still paying your way in life?

Well, at 29 I would say all being well (and if you haven't got enough confidence in the after life and your god to kill yourself tonight) we'll probably be lying on our death beds around the same time.

Hopefully by then, I'll be able to look back on my life and be proud of the work I've done helping others , and people in Africa will be better for me living. (Even if I can help just one family I'll be happy)

You'll look back on yours, and wonder why the f*** you chased a myth, and all your millions of prayers would have helped no one... except yourself.

People that know me, will say, he did a lot to help others and was a nice bloke.

People will know you will probably say, what a twat. Prayed a lot, but didn't do him any good. And then for both of us, it will fade to black, and we'll sleep without dreams forever.

Although saying that, I would suggest that your life has so little direction and purpose (hence your late need for the bible) that you will probably die of boredom or despression long before I slip of into enternal sleep.

But you keep telling yourself, you're a better person because you pray and follow Jesus teachings!

Judge not lest ye be judged!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Whats wrong with picking out parts of any book and thinking hey thats a good idea, think i will do that.

:) I did say maybe, as in fairness I dont know, but my mind is open to the possibility where yours is firmly closed.
Nothing at all. But if you think huge parts of it are laughable, then surely the part that says there is a god looking down on us who is everywhere, is the most laughable part of it!!

Fine, interpt the bible how you see fit, but where so much of it is so flexable to fulfil any belief someone can have, surely the overall figure of GOD, is the most laughable part of it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Judge not lest ye be judged!

Very poor comeback , even for you. Off cause you wouldn't want anyone to judge you. Wouldn't be pleasant hearing would it. You carrying on living your sad little life of mummy and daddies bank account. Maybe they'll let you paint your bedroom a different colour for your 30th? That will be nice for you wont it. Give you something to do and some meaning in life.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Science is fascinating and can explain things relion can't, faith is amazing and can explain things science can't.
Science is not unable to explain the things youy talk of, it is people and their lack of understanding of science that cannot explain everything.

Look at what life enhancing effects a surgeon can have on a patient. But then people pray for things and miracles happen.
No they don't. Can you tell us of any miracles you have witnessed (if you think you can you're being naive)?
They all believe in the same god, though the Jews have Moses and Co, the Muslims Mohammed and the Christians JC
No, Muslims do not believe in the same god as Christians. And Christians have Moses and Co too.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I find it amusing that even those who are spending so much time stating that it's fact that god doesn't (or can't ) exist, yet express a hope that it IS true. The mind boggles!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
To make the Creationist question to be one of 'God or Darwin' does a pretty major disservice to the complex dimensions within both schools of thought. Whilst the emergence of Darwinism has been very important in shaping people's views on the issue of religion, the fact that Cathedrals and churches are still open with big congregations suggest that religious faith possibly goes beyond ideas of science or just 'being ignorant'.
Is there still a question of God or Darwin?

Not being funny, but I thought large parts of the church had accepted Darwins theories of evoultion, and adapted to it?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Are you saying that the teachings of JC are irrelevant today? If science can explain everything than how is there a planet earth? a solar system, a universe? did it come from nothing? Nothing comes from nothing. There has to have been a divine creator.

Er...? Either:

A) Something can exist without a cause, in which case there is no need for a god.

Or

B) Something cannot exist without a cause, in which case - where did the divine creator come from? Does there have to have been an even diviner creator-or? And then another... and another... and another...?

There does not have to be a divine creator at all. It is but one of many conjectures - with no evidence to support it other than your inability to believe that it might not be right...

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Very poor comeback , even for you. Off cause you wouldn't want anyone to judge you. Wouldn't be pleasant hearing would it. You carrying on living your sad little life of mummy and daddies bank account. Maybe they'll let you paint your bedroom a different colour for your 30th? That will be nice for you wont it. Give you something to do and some meaning in life.

:clap2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If science can explain everything than how is there a planet earth? a solar system, a universe? did it come from nothing? Nothing comes from nothing. There has to have been a divine creator.
No there does not 'have' to be a divine creator. Regardless of whether you believe in one or not, that doesn't help answer the question, because where did the devince creator come from - what was he up to before creating the universe?

As a side point for you, the planets were created from energy, but I don't know where that came from - if that was created by a devine being, the question above still remains.

What science has proven (to those willing to listen) is that what we have been taught about god is a pack of lies. It doesn't mean that no deity of any description exists though.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Er...? Either:

A) Something can exist without a cause, in which case there is no need for a god.

Or

B) Something cannot exist without a cause, in which case - where did the divine creator come from? Does there have to have been an even diviner creator-or? And then another... and another... and another...?

There does not have to be a divine creator at all. It is but one of many conjectures - with no evidence to support it other than your inability to believe that it might not be right...

No, Muslims do not believe in the same god as Christians. And Christians have Moses and Co too.

No there does not 'have' to be a divine creator. Regardless of whether you believe in one or not, that doesn't help answer the question, because where did the devince creator come from - what was he up to before creating the universe?

As a side point for you, the planets were created from energy, but I don't know where that came from - if that was created by a devine being, the question above still remains.

What science has proven (to those willing to listen) is that what we have been taught about god is a pack of lies. It doesn't mean that no deity of any description exists though.

:lol::lol: He's getting shown up by all sides now!! It'll be quiet for a minute or three, until his good book tells him what you say..... [awaiting random bible quote or random smiliey]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I believe in Jesus Christ! He is none of those things. Compassionate, forgiving, loving, etc.

ok, so if that is your position, why bother to defend god at all? why did you say:

There's evidence that disproves god?

For me hearing/reading IS believing. I don't need any hard evidence. The bible is enough.

the basic teachings of Jesus are quite far removed from the rest of the bible (before and after), though drawing heavily on other myths and philosophies, i doubt many atheists would object much to their value. they are not "divine", but the opinions of philosopher.

make up your mind.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I find it amusing that even those who are spending so much time stating that it's fact that god doesn't (or can't ) exist, yet express a hope that it IS true. The mind boggles!
Whom are you referring to?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here