GOD: How much do you believe in him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It must be horrible (for the unbeliever) to walk around each day wondering who we are, why we're here and where we're heading!
No its not. It makes life intersting, and believing theres nothing to come at the end of it, makes you live life to the fuller.

I'd hate to be on my death bed, thinking I'm passing onto to another world, only to see the light come on, and then go off. I pity anyone who thinks theres more to come after death.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
It must be horrible (for the unbeliever) to walk around each day wondering who we are, why we're here and where we're heading!
I would never force my beliefs/opinions on anyone but anyone who doesn't believe is categorically wrong....lol!
I'm not mocking you when I ask this, I am geniunlly interested in your views, but do you accept evolution, that humans evolued from the seas over millions of years, to the animals we are now?

If so, do all animals/life forms go to heaven? If not where is the cut off? If we come from animals, and therefore are just another species of animal, does this not mean the all the trillions of life form that have lived on the planet will all be in heaven. If not where does the cut off come?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
...It also tells you you can repent all, and all is forgiven at the purely gates. GO FOR IT!
No, read a bit harder, it's not that easy at all. Here's one for you btw: "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Sort it before it's too late old boy!

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
I think a lot of the basis for my belief in God comes from the fact that I WANT to believe that there is something after death. The thought of this life being IT, feels me with horror to be honest.

I have the same feeling, but God and religion is just ridiculous to me.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I would never force my beliefs/opinions on anyone but anyone who doesn't believe is categorically wrong....lol!

Anyway I'm sure 'religion' has historically been used to control the masses, however we don't live in the middle ages anymore.

I personally am not a 'religious' Christian as to do things out of 'religion' isn't to do things out of love, respect and yes...fear.
I love God and am not some dorky dweeb believe it or not.

Sorry for the rant.....
Prayer requests accepted!

wondering who we are I am albumen
why we're here We've evolved from the energy of a dead star. Out of me mums bits (just me and me sister).
where we're heading Down the pub. Take each day as it comes as soon you'll just be worm food.

Horrible? Life is what you make it. And believing in something without a shred of evidence ever is something I find a little depressing.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
the atheists can never answer what created the big bang. for them it is always matter, and never consciousness.
some even think consciousness came from sea bacteria as this is the dogma school gave them....hehe.

as above, so below - we live in an illusion - we all share a unmoveable essence. What is behind this is unsure to tell - but it is more likely some form of consciousness than not. Gnostic, Platonic, Hermetic, Sufi, Taoist, Tantric, Pythagorean, and Qabalistic theosophies all go with this too.

without an understanding of mystic or occult principles, theosophy, and practical work, it is near impossible to have any glimpse at higher realms.

mainstream religions are about controlling large amounts of people, i prefer to seek answers elsewhere.

the word God in the bible is miss translation from Hebrew - so is Lord, this is how asleep people are, they do not even know this. God is certainly not male, research what the word ELOHIM actually means in Hebrew. Genesis is Qabalistic.

many great inventions and leaps in our species where from the great alchemists.

bigA109.jpg

What a load of gibberish. I don't believe that there is a power that consciously decides what happens. Equally, I don't accept that there was a conscious power that created the 'soup'. It was just coincidence that at some point the right chemicals in the right environment came together. Who knows how many different concoctions there were from which nothing resulted.

You might seek your own answers but at the end of the day you are just shit scared that when you shuffle of your mortal coil, that's it.

What a simply bizarre statement. There are many theories on what caused the big bang - and just because none of them involve a consciousness you simply ignore them/state that they don't count as answers? How odd.

Agree.

I believe anyone who has lived a good, selfless life (i mean done good deeds to your fellow man out of love): Christian, Jew, Muslim, Atheist etc will eventually (after X amount of years in Purgatory) go to heaven. If you have been a GOOD person, you will go to heaven, there is somewhere in the bible (i forget where) that those WITHOUT faith (atheists) that do good things (to there fellow man) are effectively doing jesus's work (maybe without realising they are) will be looked favourably upon when the day of judgement comes. Compared with if you do the devils work (i.e. pedophile priests, the bankers looting the city of london). There are alot of hypocrites in the church so just being a Christian once a week on a Sunday means nothing.

it depends with regards to the babies/children. If they died of natural causes i.e. born into a body not strong enough, then they go back to god possibly to be sent back in a stronger body. I can't answer your next question, i am still learning and asking questions myself.

Please, don't hijack me. I lead a good honest life and that is not about being a Christian or any other 'gang member' but because socially I believe it is the right thing to do. Can't you be nice to others without there having to be some kind or eternal reward? You sound like a Mormon. Don't they try to hijack peoples souls post death?

I would be more than happy to read the other religious texts, the god delusion, etc. I was born into a catholic family (though i've only shown an interest) hence why i'm reading the bible first.

Out of interest, how old are you and how long have you been reading the bible?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Apparently not, the bible is aimed at humans not animals.

There's the thing. Why do we presume ourselves to be the goal of God's creation when one look at the cosmos should spell out our insignificance in the grand scheme of things. And while we're at it, if God is a perfect designer, why did he create such a colossally wasteful universe just to make us on this speck planet?

It's the arrogance of humanity to assume that we are at the heart of things.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Is he for you the guvnor up in the sky, or is it just a load of old baloney?
Probably already been said, cba to read through, opened a can of worms with this thread El. Cant believe its at 33 pages & counting. This has the potential to overtake the word association game:mad:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Anyway I'm sure 'religion' has historically been used to control the masses, however we don't live in the middle ages anymore.

I personally am not a 'religious' Christian as to do things out of 'religion' isn't to do things out of love, respect and yes...fear.
I love God and am not some dorky dweeb believe it or not.

Sorry for the rant.....
Prayer requests accepted!

I think you worry too much. Live your three score and ten as well as you can and hope that once you're dead, those that you leave behind have good memories of you.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

I'm sorry but I can't let that one go. I grant that the established church in this country holds little sway these days (despite being built into the heart of our unwritten constitution) but you can't seriously suggest that "religion" is a benign force these days. Just look at how it continues to dominate and subjugate people the world over. I've lived in Africa and have seen how people with almost nothing are still compelled to give the little they have to keep preachers in finery.

Personal faith is fine and dandy if it floats your boat but the second it needs "leaders" to interpret and pass on then I get twitchy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
basically the bible says those who know of gods/jesus's word and reject it are destined for hell, however those who through complete ignorance and lack of education are not condemned as jesus said as he was dying on the cross, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34).
That is contradicted by:
I believe anyone who has lived a good, selfless life (i mean done good deeds to your fellow man out of love): Christian, Jew, Muslim, Atheist etc will eventually (after X amount of years in Purgatory) go to heaven. If you have been a GOOD person, you will go to heaven, there is somewhere in the bible (i forget where) that those WITHOUT faith (atheists) that do good things (to there fellow man) are effectively doing jesus's work (maybe without realising they are) will be looked favourably upon when the day of judgement comes.
Jews know of god's word, but they reject christ as the profit, so are they going to hell or not (in your christian view)?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
What a load of gibberish. I don't believe that there is a power that consciously decides what happens. Equally, I don't accept that there was a conscious power that created the 'soup'. It was just coincidence that at some point the right chemicals in the right environment came together. Who knows how many different concoctions there were from which nothing resulted.

You might seek your own answers but at the end of the day you are just shit scared that when you shuffle of your mortal coil, that's it.

Agree.

Please, don't hijack me. I lead a good honest life and that is not about being a Christian or any other 'gang member' but because socially I believe it is the right thing to do. Can't you be nice to others without there having to be some kind or eternal reward? You sound like a Mormon. Don't they try to hijack peoples souls post death?

Out of interest, how old are you and how long have you been reading the bible?

I only started reading it this summer, only 29, not looking for arguments from anyone on here either. Just speaking from how i see things at present, my opinions may change as i read more. But i'm sure i won't stop believing in God and thinking Jesus is number 1.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
That is contradicted by:
Jews know of god's word, but they reject christ as the profit, so are they going to hell or not (in your christian view)?

But they believe in the same god as do Muslims. I'm not well informed enough at present to answer this. Jesus died for their (and ours) sins. In short, i don't know.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Im not going to bother reading this whole thread as as far as I am concerned people can believe what they like providing they respect others.

I believe in God and for me it is a fact. At the same time I believe there was a Big Bang. I also believe in evolution and the possibility of alien life forms. I believe in a form of heaven but not sure if hell is at all comprehensible to us humans. Confused yet?

If you are I am not surprised. I believe that those who do not believe in God believe there are answers to everything. I do not. I think that if God came down and told us all the answers we wouldnt come anywhere near to understanding it and it would probably blow our minds. I do not believe there is heaven where pretty girls serve me sherbet but I do believe at the time this message was sent it had to be put into langauge that 6th century Arabs would understand, given their cultural beliefs. God would probably tell us now that heaven is full of all the greatest technology, of which Apple has an 80% share.

I believe all religions have a basis in the truth but have been twisted and turned and corrupted by humans, partucularly men, to meet their own desires and ambitions. I believe God knows this and sees it as part of our development. Do I believe in judgement day... yes but I suspect we havent been told the whole story and a 21st century version proably wouldnt have fire and brimstone.... more of a board meeting 'you are sacked' feel. I am closest to being a Muslim and here in Turkey I call myself Muslim but I believe in the spirit of it...not the human-corrupted practice.

That's where I am. Its my belief and its worth five pence because its mine and I dont expect anyone else to share it. I won't be replying to any replies because you are all entitled to your beliefs and I do not wish to challenge anyone else's. I am happy in my relative ignorance.

Let's just share in the joy of being Albion fans... thats faith enough for me tonight.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Yep, and also decent people making lots of money and arseholes being shafted just as often. But it depends which side of the fence you're on.

fair point.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
at the end of the day you are just shit scared that when you shuffle of your mortal coil, that's it.

ever done ayahuasca? ever studied any 18th century rosicrucianism? i am firmly happy in the knowlege (my perception in my consciousness) that past lives exist, and that there are numerous other dimensions.

how can some-thing (consciousness) come out of no-thing and then return to no-thing? that is weirdest belief system ever.

the vessel replaces ALL its cells every 7 years (some daily) - where does consciousness "go" when these replacements happen? it is non-local, as is memory; non-local.

The vessel is just vibrating frequency decoded by the DNA, as is all matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports