Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think a lot of the basis for my belief in God comes from the fact that I WANT to believe that there is something after death. The thought of this life being IT, feels me with horror to be honest.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Especially when people are dying because of other peoples 'gods' (SOMEONE has to be wrong).

The simplest way to explain to a religious person how it feels to be an atheist. It feels exactly the same as you (Christian, for example) feel in respect of Hinduism (to pick a random non-Abrahamic religion), except I feel the same about your god too.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Newton's law is. There a huge difference between saying there's a healthy balance between happiness/sadness etc and Newton's 3rd law regarding equal and opposite reactions (exactly equal, not just a bit similar). It's one thing to think that balances in life remind you of Newton's laws and quite another to suggest that they meet his laws. You'd have him turning in his grave.
That's all well and good (those are your beliefs, that's fine), but there nothing there to suggest there 'has to be a god'.

So do you expect jews to go to heaven, since they believe in the same god as you, even though they don't agree that Jesus was the messiah?
And re our 80 year testing ground, does that mean you think babies that die (no chance to sin) go straight to heaven because god needed them pronto? There are billions of us being tested down here, wouldn't he be better taking someone who has past that test, rather than a baby that would most likely have failed given the chance?

I believe anyone who has lived a good, selfless life (i mean done good deeds to your fellow man out of love): Christian, Jew, Muslim, Atheist etc will eventually (after X amount of years in Purgatory) go to heaven. If you have been a GOOD person, you will go to heaven, there is somewhere in the bible (i forget where) that those WITHOUT faith (atheists) that do good things (to there fellow man) are effectively doing jesus's work (maybe without realising they are) will be looked favourably upon when the day of judgement comes. Compared with if you do the devils work (i.e. pedophile priests, the bankers looting the city of london). There are alot of hypocrites in the church so just being a Christian once a week on a Sunday means nothing.

it depends with regards to the babies/children. If they died of natural causes i.e. born into a body not strong enough, then they go back to god possibly to be sent back in a stronger body. I can't answer your next question, i am still learning and asking questions myself.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I think a lot of the basis for my belief in God comes from the fact that I WANT to believe that there is something after death. The thought of this life being IT, feels me with horror to be honest.

The actual end itself can indeed be scary thought. However, the thought of 'it', whatever 'it' is, being eternal and never ending fills me with horror if I'm honest. Can you imagine the concept of forever?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Im pretty sure when it all started it was ALL meant to be literally taken. Yet the more and more times its disproved it's not 'all' meant to be literal.
Likewise.
When something like that happens then I can't possibly believe there is a god. Especially when people are dying because of other peoples 'gods' (SOMEONE has to be wrong).
Atheists think that all muslims, budhists (add non christian religion here) have it wrong and Christians agree. Atheists think the all Christians have it wrong, and everyone else agrees. Even those that believe in a creator think the others are wrong.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
i am still learning and asking questions myself.

Are you also planning on learning and asking questions about other religions? If you are hoping to learn more about "what to believe" (for want of a better expression), would the best course of action not be to read the alternate 'theories' as well? Read the Koran, read about Shinto, read about Sikhism, etc, etc - even read the scientific theories that explain the universe without the need for any 'creator'?

Alternatively, if you do not feel you know everything and have questions, why have you already decided that this is the religion for you?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Out of interest, are you reading the whole Bible cover to cover, or just the New Testament or "Good News" bit?

There is some really screwed up stuff in the Old Testament (probably in the New too, but nothing compared to the Old) - Tim Minchin's favourite example being the instruction to stone your daughter to death if she refuses to marry her rapist, but there's also Moses' instruction for his men to kill everyone they find other than the virgins, who they can keep for themselves.

I'm genuinely interested in how a Christian (in general, not you personally) can square these things with a) the real world & b) the suggestion that this god is 'loving'. Isn't the Bible just a massive Software Licence? People tend to just ignore the actual words and tick "I agree" at the bottom...

EDIT - Apologies, your post appeared while I was writing this, so I hadn't seen it.

Yep i agree, i can't believe some of the stuff i have been reading in the old testament. It is sickening. As Christians we are supposed to (try our best to) follow the life of Jesus Christ (New Testament). Old Testament is the book of the Jews and the muslims use it to, hence why you hear muslims stoning women to death cos there not virgins etc.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Are you also planning on learning and asking questions about other religions? If you are hoping to learn more about "what to believe" (for want of a better expression), would the best course of action not be to read the alternate 'theories' as well? Read the Koran, read about Shinto, read about Sikhism, etc, etc - even read the scientific theories that explain the universe without the need for any 'creator'?

Alternatively, if you do not feel you know everything and have questions, why have you already decided that this is the religion for you?

I would be more than happy to read the other religious texts, the god delusion, etc. I was born into a catholic family (though i've only shown an interest) hence why i'm reading the bible first.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So how comes they go straight to heaven, whilst the rest of us are left on earth to prove ourselves? Why are they not tested?

You could say they are the lucky ones, though that sounds cruel as they never had a chance at some of the joys of life, they also never had a chance to do good or bad. When some one dies we're (christians) supposed to believe it's because god 'took them'. And because they never had a chance to commit sin (the thing that keeps us from being in gods presence (being in heaven) when we die) then they will go strainght to heaven possibly to be 'sent back' by god to have another chance.

Then I would suggest you are of sick mind.

BBC News - Somalia famine: UN warns of 750,000 deaths

By your sick thinking, 750,000 innocent Africans (mostly children) are about to hit it lucky then!

You are the sort of person that has made regilon evil. Go away and have a long hard think about what you posted. And then think for yourself, not what some evil shit has told you to think. Its called free will. Someone your GOD doesn't like you to have.

Do they also teach you to ignore things you don't the sound of.

Seriously. You're views are from a sick mind. Maybe I should take you to Africa, and you can tell them how lucky their children are. Be interesting to see how much help your god gives you as they tear you apart.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Do they also teach you to ignore things you don't the sound of.

Seriously. You're views are from a sick mind. Maybe I should take you to Africa, and you can tell them how lucky their children are. Be interesting to see how much help your god gives you as they tear you apart.

What's better? they die and then that's it (your thought process) OR they die and then get another chance in better circumstances or even f*** this world (too much suffering) i'll go straight to big time!

Aug 26, 2011
It must be horrible (for the unbeliever) to walk around each day wondering who we are, why we're here and where we're heading!
I would never force my beliefs/opinions on anyone but anyone who doesn't believe is categorically wrong....lol!

Anyway I'm sure 'religion' has historically been used to control the masses, however we don't live in the middle ages anymore.

I personally am not a 'religious' Christian as to do things out of 'religion' isn't to do things out of love, respect and yes...fear.
I love God and am not some dorky dweeb believe it or not.

Sorry for the rant.....
Prayer requests accepted!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What's better? they die and then that's it (your thought process) OR they die and then get another chance in better circumstances or even f*** this world (too much suffering) i'll go straight to big time!
You really are a vile little prick.

You are either winding me up, or you are seriosuly sick in the head with those views. If thats how you think, do everyone a favour go and f***ing kill yourself tonight, and be with your god..... or maybe you don't have quite that much confidence in him! Don't worry that your book tells you not to. It also tells you you can repent all, and all is forgiven at the purely gates. GO FOR IT!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here