Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's about time this thread was closed, as usualy it's Ty veres the rest of NSC, why he bothers to argue is beyond me but that's freedom of speach. However threads like this are an almighty (no pun intended) waste of ether.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As I said to someone else, exploring spirituality is always a good place to start.

Spirituality can be studied as a seperate concept from religion.

To my mind spirituality is separated from religion in that complete faith is not required. Religion requires a belief in a doctrine that without proof requires unequivocal faith. Spirituality can be achieved on ones own without the need to adhere to a set of rules or beliefs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's about time this thread was closed, as usualy it's Ty veres the rest of NSC, why he bothers to argue is beyond me but that's freedom of speach. However threads like this are an almighty (no pun intended) waste of ether.

I'm not sure Richard Dawkins would agree, he's made a career of it!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Evolution is not a fact, it is a hypothesis backed by empirical study and data. As I said, there are no facts in science, only measurements proving theories. Newton's Laws always had holes in them as exposed by Einstein, as did Einstein's own, as is now being proved through experiment. But these are not facts, these are the evolution of science.

Even Darwin knew his conclusions were only a theory, but the Pope has to know this to be more than a hypothesis because ultimately, God has to have been behind it from religions point of view.

Agree with all of that.

With some of the great minds over the years the churches have had at their disposal it's a shame they didn't direct them to hypothsise a theory that evolution was created by their God.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
To my mind spirituality is separated from religion in that complete faith is not required. Religion requires a belief in a doctrine that without proof requires unequivocal faith. Spirituality can be achieved on ones own without the need to adhere to a set of rules or beliefs.

Absolutely.

To explore the concept of "a god" as seperate from the biblical god it has to be something that's explored outside of any organised group with set ideas and beliefs.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I'm not arguing, i'm debating the subject.

Not sure why it should be closed just because you say. If you don't like it surely you just don't open the thread nor read it?

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
No. I don't believe there is a God because the worst things seem to happen to the nicest people.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm not arguing, i'm debating the subject.

Not sure why it should be closed just because you say. If you don't like it surely you just don't open the thread nor read it?

It's that I take no pleasure in repeatedly seeing somebody who is so dellusional and yet is so happy about it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No. I don't believe there is a God because the worst things seem to happen to the nicest people.

Stupid boy, don't you know that's "God's Will" ? It's the universal response to anybody who makes that point. I must admit that two of my Born AGain Christian relatives had one of their twins tragically die at the age of two. They haven't been near a church since the child's funeral.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Learn to read kid. Not once have I said I believe in the concept of the Christian God. I said I am interested in Chinese philosophy and the concept of Yin and yang and Newtons 3rd Law.

You mean you're too closed minded at present to explore the concept without someone else spoon feeding it to you.
Okay. So desipte all your posts, you do not believe in the concept of a god, because their is no proof either way, and there will always be a possilbity that something "god like" exists, unless it can be disproved, which of course is impossbile. No one can ever prove that something that doesn't exist, doesn't exist. So your argument is not whether god exists or not, but whether it is possible for a god to exists? Right? Yes, no?

So with that in mind, along the same lines, are you prepared to argue to the same extent, that a planet made of marshmellows exists in our galaxy, or that fire breathing dragons exists in caves at the bottom of the deepest oceans?

Both are possible, but either can be completely disproved. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Ignoring the main discussion for a second, and looking at Newton's 3rd law - it really can't be applied to other situations. Not even a little bit.
Some people in the world are happy, others are sad, and one day the happy ones will have a sad moment, and most (not all) of the sad ones will be happy at some point. But Newton's law states that an equal and opposite reaction will occur at that precise moment, not some time in the future etc, and I don't suppose you're pretending that the emotions are constantly equally balanced are you?

This question wasn't put to me, but, yes, the emotions are constantly balanced. You can't understand what happiness is, if you have not experienced sadness, and vice versa. Everything is balance. Too much of any one thing is not good, be it cream cakes, poverty, handbags, violence or stupidity. You have to recognise the balance in your own life, to recognise that if you feel sad or bad today, you will feel good another day, so all is not lost.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Thats the point, I have formed my own and I think that all faiths are ridiculous, arrogant and laughable. I was giving you the chance to point me towards some evidence that might be at odds with this

You don't need religious faith to believe in God. Various religions have hijacked God for their own ends (power).

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

They are to the unthinking, but to the philosophers among us, such threads are fascinating.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

But, in this balanced world, the nicest things also happen to the nicest people. And bad people usually get their come-uppance.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
But, in this balanced world, the nicest things also happen to the nicest people. And bad people usually get their come-uppance.

really? not from what i have seen. I see arse holes making lots of money and decent people being shafted on a very regular occurrance.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It's that I take no pleasure in repeatedly seeing somebody who is so dellusional and yet is so happy about it.

So i'm deulsional, but you come across as so incredibly bitter.

Anytime you post on such thread the vitriol and spite drips from your words.

Let it go dude, it's not a healthy way to be.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
So i'm deulsional, but you come across as so incredibly bitter.

Anytime you post on such thread the vitriol and spite drips from your words.

Let it go dude, it's not a healthy way to be.

Really ? No, I am very happy to be free of the dogma, ignorance and hypocracy of the Catholic Church. It's just rather sad that anybody can still swallow their bigoted lies. To be honest, it's you that's getting worked up as so many people think you're at the very least misguided.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here