GOD: How much do you believe in him?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You are dismissing anyone who's definition of Christian doesn't fit with what you want it to be.

There's only one definition of Christian. Christians are those who follow Jesus Christ's teachings.

If you don't follow his core teachings you aren't "christian". It's really that simple.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If you think man can fly you are more deluded than i thought. I think you will find man needs assistance to fly, in the same way that man needs assistance to be brainwashed with religious rhetoric.

Did you educate yourself with the youtube video?

You just arent very good at following. So let me make it a bit easier to understand what I was getting at.

You said common sense is pivitol to your belief that nothing exists in a God sense.

I said man would never have attempted flight (you know, like aeroplanes) if he'd simply said common sense suggests this is a bad idea, man isn't meant to fly. This means common sense has no relevance to this subject because it doenst allow for the expansion of thoughts.

Some how you take that to mean I suggested that man flaps his arms (how an intelligent person would come to that conclusion I dont know...).

For someone who purports to be all scientific and common sense based your thought process is extremely illogical.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There's only one definition of Christian. Christians are those who follow Jesus Christ's teachings.

If you don't follow his core teachings you aren't "christian". It's really that simple.

Simple?

Adventist, Anabaptist, Anglican, Baptist, Calvinism, Evangelicalism, Holiness, Independent Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Old Catholic, Protestant, Pentecostal, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Eastern Catholic, Oriental Orthodox (Miaphysite), Assyrian, Jehovah's Witness, Latter Day Saint, Unitarian, Christadelphian, Oneness Pentecostal

It's not that simple, is it? There are different denominations of the Christian Religion who have different interpretations of those teachings, or different opinions of how literal those teachings are intended to be. It's the mosaic of of Christian Belief, as Roger Olson calls it. All of them, though, are 'based on the teachings of Jesus'.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I said man would never have attempted flight (you know, like aeroplanes) if he'd simply said common sense suggests this is a bad idea, man isn't meant to fly.

Wouldn't common sense suggest that flight was impossible unaided, but the benefits of flight (transportation, speed) suggest that using science and curiosity as a means of developing a flight based vehicle are worth exploring.

After all, man isn't designed to travel by sea, but it was experimentation and learning that led us to invent boats.

What separates man from other creatures is curiosity, communication, and opposable thumbs, not faith in a divine being.

Bollocks. Complete and utter bolocks. By your crappy definition I am an xtian as I tend to follow all of the mythical teachings of the non-existant person. But THERE IS NO f***ing GOD. I don't need a sky parent to tell me how to behave, I behave well because I basically a decent person, not because I am f***ing scared that any stupid imaginary sky parent will punish me for not being so.

I am FAR FAR better than any xtian. I do good because I am a good person, not out of fear that a non existant being will punish for me for not being good.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
this is so much fun :)

.......Fundamentalist Christians aren't even Christian. Everything they do defies what is written and taught on the whole.

Agreed on the digressing, no idea how it was even relevant to this discussion or why it was brought up.

Many fundamentalist Christians are mentalists, no bones about that! Putting it on everyone to be what they have decided is correct.
The very name 'Christian' sends a bit of a shiver, because it intimates 'Christ-like', which many of them are nothing like.
I have met some that see splinters in everyone's eyes, through the logs in their own (to paraphrase JC himself). This while puffing their crucifixed chests out like they have enveloped special rights to heaven's gate-keys. That's on a par with martyrs thinking they get 70 virgins for blowing themselves up!
GW Bush was a fine example for fake Christianity, declaring an illegal invasion "a Crusade!" as he sent other people's youth to face a newly galvanized and angered enemy (who might not even have taken up a weapon if it wasn't for Bush and his sort)

The "relevance" of my digression was about as relevant as the point that football crowds impose any danger to gays I suppose.
That any one group can be declared close-minded, when yes - gay groups can be nasty, exclusionary, and hypocritical too - as I said, it's in human nature.
So only a slight 'digress', but not far from the original point in my opinion.

Remembering too, that gay jibes at football aren't actually aimed at gays. They are aimed at straight fans who will take exception to being labled gays.

Last edited:

Bollocks. Complete and utter bolocks. By your crappy definition I am an xtian as I tend to follow all of the mythical teachings of the non-existant person. But THERE IS NO f***ing GOD. I don't need a sky parent to tell me how to behave, I behave well because I basically a decent person, not because I am f***ing scared that any stupid imaginary sky parent will punish me for not being so.

I am FAR FAR better than any xtian. I do good because I am a good person, not out of fear that a non existant being will punish for me for not being good.

One of the stanzas of the new testament basically reads that none will enter the kingdom of God except through Jesus Christ.
That's enough to make anyone cringe - but it's also said that anyone not having known or followed a religion, has the opportunity to be on the guest-list!
So you might still be alright :thumbsup:

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
Common sense and science only dictate what humans can comprehend.

If you're basing all you know on "common sense" you'd have been one of those people who said man can't nor should fly.

Added you can't be an agnostic. Your views indicate nothing that suggests you are open to the possibility of outside influence on humanity. An agnostic won't simply take "facts" as being the end of the thought process.

I am educating myself, unlike you. I'm completely open minded to all theories and potential possibilities no matter who putd them forth.

How you can claim to be educated when you seem so closed minded is interesting though.

the only person with a closed mind around here is you for continuing to believe the possibility that there might be a god. the rest of us in the real world have looked at the evidence from science and the evidence from religion and have come to an informed conclusion on the matter.thankfully a growing number of people on the planet are turning their back on the stoneage belief in religion,but like anything you will always have a few who cannot grasp facts and common sense

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I don't care what people believe in as long as it's legal and it doesn't impact on me. The trouble is that religious beliefs are allowed far too much latitude and they often impinge on the basic freedoms of non believers.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
If God isnt real then maybe father christmas isnt real?

Shit where does that leave the Easter Bunny?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Ideally bent over a desk

25627_large.jpg

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
If God isnt real then maybe father christmas isnt real?

Easter bunnies found !!!
BHAFC the only true religion and with many god's........

God - Mike Bamber for the period of history.
God - Peter Ward
God - Alan Mullery Ist time
God's Dick Knight / Robbie Rhienelt / Stuart Storer/ and all Brighton Fans
inc Attilla, Samrah,Gulls eye etc etc
God - Gus Poyet
God - Tony Bloom

Attachments

• imagesCAFIX2F7.jpg
    imagesCAFIX2F7.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 77

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
pwoooooooooaaaaar yes please Miss E Bunny

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Super. So what is a soul? Not what you think it is, what phyiscally is it?

It's not a physical thing, like the mind. We know the mind exists, because we all have one, but scientists, try as they might, can't examine it. Instead, they look at brains, the physical aspect of the metaphysical mind, and content themselves with that, convincing themselves that the mind must be a physical annexe to the brain. The soul is neither part of the brain nor of the body and yet many claim its existence. It is related to the conscience, that inner, non-physical part of what makes you, you.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
the only person with a closed mind around here is you for continuing to believe the possibility that there might be a god. the rest of us in the real world have looked at the evidence from science and the evidence from religion and have come to an informed conclusion on the matter.thankfully a growing number of people on the planet are turning their back on the stoneage belief in religion,but like anything you will always have a few who cannot grasp facts and common sense

That's your belief and that's no problem,i agree with science and love the subject,i also have a very clear grasp of common sense and facts,but as a believer in a, non judgemental supreme creator,i have a very open mind,open to all possibilities and answers.

Messages have been sent and will continue to be sent,in various forms throughout the ages regardless,those that chose to listen will hear them,those that do not will sleep walk through the modern,materialist,Western ways of life.

Blame will continue to be apportioned by man,to God(such a bad wording,still it's that to which the thread is titled) for in the main,man's own reckless actions.

This is the realm of the relative,nothing that happens here on Earth has any indication to what may lie beyond in the realm of the absolute.

Science proves a lot and has given us a greater understanding,but science will only ever continue to give us a mere glimpse of what the whole picture contains.

The big bang? came from nothing we are told,an infinity small particle so dense yet all powerful,but how?

Scientists cannot explain what was before the big bang,what holds the universe,how big the universe is,they predict a big RIP of the universe tearing it's self apart millions of years from now,maybe they are right,maybe i suggest this is just one such big bang of many.

The Earth is 4500 million years old, approximately at half it's life cycle.

Man supposedly has been on this planet for 2 million years,and yet the oldest records are 190,000 years old,most evidence of man is 7,000 years old at most,this is only to be expected as the ground level tends to sink about 1 metre/1000 years.

I say see the wonderment in the whole world,take man out of the equation for 1 brief moment,take away with it,man's some what limited views(yes we went to the moon,medical advances etc) take also the greed,and selfishness too-and truly look at how everything in the Natural(not Normal) world works in absolute perfection,look beyond the Earth too also see how the moon & Jupiter play key parts in our survival,the magnetic field.

All this says to me,yes i am very fortunate to live in the Western world,i like normal things,some abnormal,i am well balanced and believe that all of this is not the result of a freak accident-science has to prove how we are who we are,to feel who i am,to demonstrate our ability to think is an chance event if you like to make me believe otherwise.

I don't care what people believe in as long as it's legal and it doesn't impact on me. The trouble is that religious beliefs are allowed far too much latitude and they often impinge on the basic freedoms of non believers.

Yes in full agreement-i tell my side but if people do not wish to listen,that is fine,who am i to preach,well i may have done a little on here,but its called The NSC "just having my views"

Don't have to go near a church to praise,not religious in any way shape or form,that had it's time on Earth in my book,accept the best of all religions and accept the right for people to believe in what ever they believe,it's called free will,but people should always remember cause and effect.

What science finds to be non-existent,we must accept as non-existent,but what science merely does not find is a completely different matter.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
You can end the argument everytime by asking a regilious person to prove it.

I'd say to anyone who believes in god, prove it to me, and I'll believe. I would love nothing more, believe me, than to start another life with my parted loved ones, after this life ends. I'm open to be proved that there is a god, and that there is another life after this one, and that I have a "soul". I want to believe it so badly. But I am also a reasoning, intelligent person, that can think for myself, and draw my own conculsions, without input from others. And too date, no one as even come close to making me believe there is a god?

So. Prove it to me.

It is neither provable nor disprovable. It is a matter for your own inner senses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports