Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOD: How much do you believe in him?

How much do you believe in GOD?

• I KNOW he exists for a FACT

Votes: 34 7.1%
  • I cannot be certain, but strongly BELIEVE he exists and live my life on that basis

Votes: 44 9.2%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to believe he exists

Votes: 37 7.8%
  • There is a 50:50 chance of his existence

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • I am UNCERTAIN, but an inclined to be skeptical

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • I cannot be certain, but think his existence is highly improbable, and live my life on that basis

Votes: 145 30.4%
  • God does NOT exist, FACT

Votes: 182 38.2%

• Total voters

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I can accept there is no more possibility of a god, than I can accept the possilbilty one day flying to the moon by flapping my arms very fast.

"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you."

Who mentioned religion? Not me.

I suppose that 100 years ago you wouldn't have accepted the possibility of a rocket actually 'flying' people to the moon. This is just one more possibility - it may be true, it may not.

No blinkers here, sir.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm probably too tired to be replying, so I apologise if my phrasing causes offence.

Blind adherence to atheism is as common nowadays as blind adherence to religion was 200 years ago.

Time for some independent thought on the matter, rather than always following the herd like unthinking sheep.

What? Am I just a sheep because I say the sky is blue, just like everyone else? Am I showing a lack of independent thought because I believe the earth goes around the sun? Sometimes lots of people, through independent thought, believe the same thing, it doesn't mean they are sheep.

I'd go along with this. You've either had an experience with God or you haven't. If you have you'll believe, if you haven't you probably won't.

I do think it slightly odd that a lot of non believers haven't actually looked. I think most religions think that you need to put in a bit of seeking. So, I guess if you never bother seeking, you'll never have a chance of finding.

So, you're saying God exists, and anyone who doesn't believe just haven't looked hard enough. There's a very small man on your hand. He's there, you're just not looking hard enough, or at the right part of your hand.

Tell me, where should I be looking for God?

Man created Religion, but man created Atheism too

Atheism means lack of theism, or lack of religion. You can't create something and create the absence of it. Either it was absent and needed creating (in which case atheism was the original state not one created by man) or it exists (and the presence of religion is a natural state) and and you create the absence of it. You can't create both.

Do non believers ever say-

For Gods sake?

Or

Jesus Christ?

or

Thank God for that?

just words i know-just wondered like-

Of course it's just words. I sometimes say 'voila' when presenting something, doesn't make me french. I've sung along to 'abracadabra', doesn't make me a wizard.

Actually, I think it is a better thing to bring up children knowing a faith, because it gives them a starting point from which to learn good and bad and it also gives them a sense of belonging. It is easier for people to abandon a faith when they are older, than to adopt one. That's partly the problem with society today, that no one gives a shit.

Firstly, good and bad are not exclusive properties of religion. Any good parent can teach a child good and bad without the need for religion or god. They can get a sense of belonging with any social club.

Secondly, the cheap and easy comment would be that it's harder for an adult to adopt faith when they're older because they've grown past the point of believing fairy tales.

I think children should not be forced to follow a religion, but should be made aware of them and what they claim to offer. I think forcing a child to follow your religion or your atheism is equally a form of indoctrination.

God is no different to Father Christmas, except kids work out Santas not real by the age of 9.

What?!

Ok, how many on here have read the bible from cover to cover? I feel that until you have then you are not in a position to reject god, our indeed fully understand the implications of what rejecting god means for you.

Have you read the koran cover to cover? If not I hope you haven't rejected Allah. Have you read all the greek myths and legends? The Torah? Have you read all of these cover to cover Religious Texts I seriously doubt you have, so I hope you're not rejecting all those other gods.

God botherers f***ing ANNOY me! I mean GROW UP! We can now explain why the Sun exists, why the sky is blue and why Humans exist and it wasn't some magical man in the sky, f***ing pratt!! You don't need to fear some retribution in a non existent next life to be a good person in this one. Humans are on the whole good by nature.

I prefer religious people to keep their religion to themselves, and not judge me by their religious standards. But some atheists annoy me, too - those that talk about wanting those that believe to keep there religion to themselves, then are quick to let you know they are an atheist, to challenge people who believe and so on. Those that insult and degrade people just because they believe in something more.

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If you read the Old Testament you see that God was a particularly spiteful and vengeful bloke anyway, and certainly not worthy of worship.
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does a "god" need to be proven or disproven?

The fact if a god does or doesnt exist would be one of the most irrelevant human pursuits there is.

You either do or don't, end of.

this seems to be the arguement from defeat, invoke religious faith. i believe in "him" therefore he exists, so it seems.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
only a thread like this could have been produced by a homosexual....am i so bad oh pease tell me im not so bad oh there must be no god right thats it theres no god now dean now gods f***ed off f*** me up the bum precious ...f***ing do one the lot of ya anyway the answer is no one knows f*** heads

The answer is A B C ya!:wave:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.

But what about his bad side?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Exactly , it's human perception I reckon - which makes all the hatred in "Gods" name ( or equivalent for religion of choice) even more bizarre.

I find it interesting that there's those atheists who love to cry that it's human made yet don't take in the actual implications of that.

The concept of a "god" has been around a long time. Quite posisbly since the inception of homo sapiens, maybe even preceding that.

Now for such a concept of a "god" to just come into the minds of people limited in their concept of the world around them is quite a profound perception.

It very much appears the human brain does carry within it a preprogramed set of instructions to ensure certain things occur to ensure the species continues. Without this we would not know fear or have the desire to protect our offspring.
To simply put such things down as products of "chance" would be no different to someone who puts it down to "a god" hard wiring the brain with these innate instructions.

I just feel nobody can explore the concept of a god until they actually open their mind to navcigate around the bibles interpretation of "a god" in the sky sitting on clouds and be rid of the atheist flat out "i can't see it so it doesn't exist" closed mentality.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Did you never read the part "god created man in his own image"?

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
only a thread like this could have been produced by a homosexual....am i so bad oh pease tell me im not so bad oh there must be no god right thats it theres no god now dean now gods f***ed off f*** me up the bum precious ...f***ing do one the lot of ya anyway the answer is no one knows f*** heads

You will be praying your arse off when you find yourselves 5 nil down when playing us dick head,

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
this seems to be the arguement from defeat, invoke religious faith. i believe in "him" therefore he exists, so it seems.

Indeed, you can believe that the Earth is orbited by a giant teapot called Nigel, it is difficult to prove that it is not the case.

Religion is inconsistent with Darwinism, and given the choice between believing in the records kept in the British Musuem and the Natural History Museum, OR believing the comments of Sarah Palin, I choose the former. It ultimately comes down to evidence, not faith. Faith is a means of avoiding evidence, although when Steve Gritt took over the Albion it was all we had.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Your bodies dies, but does your soul?

Now we are talking-this is the thing,the single thing,the thing that is in control of everything.

The soul is the controller,millions of babies will be born,with a soul-why on Earth are we here?

Why?

To remember who we are-and experience,good,bad,or indifferent.

se3eagle

Banned
Aug 30, 2011
this is a thread that could only have come up from a homosexual fearing his going to hell for sinking himself nts deep into Dean...your gay not my problem ...its yours so please be decent and keep it to yourselves after all i dont go round telling eveybody and his dog how red blooded i am ...yyour just strange DNA deficiency maybe "I suck cock" tee hee tee hee f*** OFF IT AINT FUNNY ITS f***ing GROSS SICK ****

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I try to avoid the whole arguing over the subject, it's a subject where nobody is right or wrong and nobody will win the argument except in their own minds.

The irong is both sides are generaly as closed minded as the other.

Perhaps the agnostics are the ones who'll eventually discover "the truth".

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Err. What is a soul? Other than a word from the bible.

It's what makes you,@MrBurns you-my "put the world to rights" top NSC Bastion & Champion of recent UK riots....::thumbsup:

Burns=never will believe
Gold=will always love Ashley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here