Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Goalkeepers & Pens

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I agree that they shouldn’t do this but what happens if he’s already been booked? Send him off and allow a sub keeper? But what if all subs have already been used? Etc etc. it would become a farce and put the penalty taken under even more pressure by having an even longer wait.

Things got out of hand generally yday, for example during ET the Argentina subs were by the corner flag kicking the ball away to waste time. Retrospective action might help but I’m not sure.

Sadly winning the WC seems to justify the use of dark arts.
Well we can feel like Champions then because we won the fair play trophy.

Wonder when the parade with open top bus through London is?

I'd rather win the fecking thing than tin pot fair play trophy. Shows Gareth is too nice to win anything.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Following yesterdays Final, think it's time the Footballing authorities should take a look at the actions of goalkeepers with their sh*thousery.

Thought Martinez was totally out of order walking up to a 19 kid, picking up the ball and chucking it away. Imagine the nerves walking up there, let alone taking a penalty in a WC final with the World watching........totally un professional and un sportsman like.

Book the keeper if he leaves his 6 yard box........simples !!
If that was Prickford and it won us the WC, I most certainly would not GAF.

Not one bit. Nada. Zip. I would give Sweet FA about how it was won.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I agree that they shouldn’t do this but what happens if he’s already been booked? Send him off and allow a sub keeper? But what if all subs have already been used? Etc etc. it would become a farce and put the penalty taken under even more pressure by having an even longer wait.

Things got out of hand generally yday, for example during ET the Argentina subs were by the corner flag kicking the ball away to waste time. Retrospective action might help but I’m not sure.

Sadly winning the WC seems to justify the use of dark arts.
Yes, send him off. If you're going to change the rules so that the goalkeeper can't be sent off, then what's to stop him greeting all the penalty takers with a haymaker to the head so they're unconscious and can't take the penalty at all?

The World Cup Final ref made it quite clear that he wasn't going to send anyone off anyway. How else would they have got away with 5 separate "take one for the team"blatant fouls? If he'd booked the first two or three, they would have stopped. Ditto the subs kicking the ball away. Players know that in the knockout stages, the refs have been told to ignore cheating if they can, and the players know that so they do it.

Did Martinez kick the ball away for the fifth penalty. No. Is it coincidence that he'd been booked for the fourth?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Following yesterdays Final, think it's time the Footballing authorities should take a look at the actions of goalkeepers with their sh*thousery.

Thought Martinez was totally out of order walking up to a 19 kid, picking up the ball and chucking it away. Imagine the nerves walking up there, let alone taking a penalty in a WC final with the World watching........totally un professional and un sportsman like.

Book the keeper if he leaves his 6 yard box........simples !!
He's doing his job, make sure as few French penalties are scored out of 5.

in a few months, nobody will remember that,........... will always know Argentina won WC 2022 and Martinez will forever be a world cup winner. I dont blame him for trying that sort of stuff at all, pressure is all part of the shoot out and a battle of wills as much as stopping the ball........ and such gamesmanship is no different to all the stuff in regulation time, like going down cheaply for pens.......... its all to try and gain a small competitive advantage and win at all costs.

If you want to blame anyone for the turn of events,, I'd say dont blame Martinez for doing everything in his power to put off the opposition, blame Deschamps and Lloris for not preparing for such eventuality.

Dont forget, Argentina scored every one of their penalties, so every time the ball was in the net from the previous Argie taker, all Lloris had to do (same as Pickford does for us) was pick it out of the net himself and personally hand it to the next French taker. He didn't, left the ball and left the initiative for Martinez to play his mind games.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As was the way he posed for the winning team photo with him implying being hanged by his medal. So disrespectful.
What a plum. We were allegedly interested in him….guess he failed the dick-head test.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here